Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Leaky gut syndrome, interesting article

Posted by Elise M. on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015452)

Hi all,
Another interesting link to put in our arsenal of info; http://www.healthy.net/library/articles/galland/leakygut.htm
As if PF wasn't enough fun for me, I was recently diagnosed with IBF which is also a side effect of leakygut syndrome. The link between PF and LGS is interesting, so was the connection involving LGS and IBF. Thank God I like to read......seems like that's all I do.......Here's hoping that everyone that comes to this site receives some benefit and leaves with a renewed sense of hope.........Feel better!....Elise

Re: Leaky gut syndrome, interesting article

Helene M on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015456)

What kind of Dr. can diagnose LGS?

Re: Leaky gut syndrome, interesting article/ Correction

Elise M on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015458)

Sorry about this,
The last posting was supposed to read IBS, not IBF. Inflammatory bowel syndrome.........Elise

Rick R on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015459)

Elise,

What do you think the implications are for those of us with PF? Sounds like for some of us it could be a contributor as a cause and for others a secondary effect of taking anti-inflamitories. My brother-in-law has crohns disease and just had surgery Tuesday. Thank goodness my feet are doing well, the last thing my wife needs now is my whining!

Re: Leaky gut syndrome, interesting article /Reply

Elise M. on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015466)

Hi,
I know that somewhere back in last months postings, there was a connection. I know Nancy S. has been on a yeast killing diet for some reason. So, look back in the postings....Anyone with knowledge of the connection will respond shortly, I'm sure............Elise

Re: Leaky gut syndrome, interesting article/ Reply

Elise M. on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015470)

Hi,
With health insurance being what it is (or is not), I imagine you start by asking your PCP about it. They'll probably refer you to a Gastroenterologist.............Elise

Nancy S. on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015476)

Rick, I'm not enough of a scientist to speculate with much crediblity on this. And it would be speculation: nothing I've read on leaky gut or yeast overgrowth has mentioned PF at all (in fact, what does? not much). In reading archived messages here, my impression is that some people have felt that following a diet for these conditions helped their PF. The only thing I can say after 5 weeks on the diet is that my general health and physical well-being have never been better, and this seems to extend to My Left Foot as well, but I can't say really what the connection is, scientifically, if there is one. Many people (not all) lose weight on this eating program. Weight loss helps PF, if one is overweight, which I was slightly, and I have lost 16 pounds, and this I AM sure is helping my foot.
I did not get diagnosed for yeast overgrowth. I diagnosed myself after some thorough research; if there had been any doubt in my mind, I would have gotten the expensive tests done, etc., but everything I read that contained lists of symptoms screamed my name -- I was 99% sure I had a yeast problem, and the weeks I've spent on the diet and the toxic die-off reactions I've had have borne out my near-certainty.
In general my feeling is that anyone who has a leaky gut / yeast problem and attacks it through diet will find that other ailments improve as well. For me, so far, this seems to include PF. -- Nancy S.

Helene M on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015456)

What kind of Dr. can diagnose LGS?

Re: Leaky gut syndrome, interesting article/ Correction

Elise M on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015458)

Sorry about this,
The last posting was supposed to read IBS, not IBF. Inflammatory bowel syndrome.........Elise

Rick R on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015459)

Elise,

What do you think the implications are for those of us with PF? Sounds like for some of us it could be a contributor as a cause and for others a secondary effect of taking anti-inflamitories. My brother-in-law has crohns disease and just had surgery Tuesday. Thank goodness my feet are doing well, the last thing my wife needs now is my whining!

Re: Leaky gut syndrome, interesting article /Reply

Elise M. on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015466)

Hi,
I know that somewhere back in last months postings, there was a connection. I know Nancy S. has been on a yeast killing diet for some reason. So, look back in the postings....Anyone with knowledge of the connection will respond shortly, I'm sure............Elise

Re: Leaky gut syndrome, interesting article/ Reply

Elise M. on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015470)

Hi,
With health insurance being what it is (or is not), I imagine you start by asking your PCP about it. They'll probably refer you to a Gastroenterologist.............Elise

Nancy S. on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015476)

Rick, I'm not enough of a scientist to speculate with much crediblity on this. And it would be speculation: nothing I've read on leaky gut or yeast overgrowth has mentioned PF at all (in fact, what does? not much). In reading archived messages here, my impression is that some people have felt that following a diet for these conditions helped their PF. The only thing I can say after 5 weeks on the diet is that my general health and physical well-being have never been better, and this seems to extend to My Left Foot as well, but I can't say really what the connection is, scientifically, if there is one. Many people (not all) lose weight on this eating program. Weight loss helps PF, if one is overweight, which I was slightly, and I have lost 16 pounds, and this I AM sure is helping my foot.
I did not get diagnosed for yeast overgrowth. I diagnosed myself after some thorough research; if there had been any doubt in my mind, I would have gotten the expensive tests done, etc., but everything I read that contained lists of symptoms screamed my name -- I was 99% sure I had a yeast problem, and the weeks I've spent on the diet and the toxic die-off reactions I've had have borne out my near-certainty.
In general my feeling is that anyone who has a leaky gut / yeast problem and attacks it through diet will find that other ailments improve as well. For me, so far, this seems to include PF. -- Nancy S.