Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

LEAKY GUT ...possible link to the PF problem?

Posted by Pat on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015477)

Thanks for the information/web link.

Usually the best type Dr. to look into these type illnesses are Naturopathic, Homeopathic and Osteopath physicians.

Leaky gut is most likely becoming an epidemic due to the poor dietary habits we have nowadays. Everything is processed bread (white), sugar, fast food, etc. and this is messing up our gut and metabolism. When your gut becomes 'leaky' it lets toxins from waste absorb through the intestines into the blood also keeps your intestines from absorbing the right nutrients, causing fatigue.

Another problem that seems prominent lately is Celiac Disease, where people's intestines are becoming allergic to Wheat (gluten) products. When this happens The gut deteriorates (villi) and gets to where it CANNOT absorb essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals, proteins etc thus our bodies do not get these nutrients, thus our muscles become fatigued and sore because they cannot build up properly.....same process in leaky gut...alot of times LGS and Celiac Dis. our found together.
Pat
(by the way, I'm not a physician but have studied these topics)

Re: LEAKY GUT ...possible link to the PF problem?/ Reply

Elise M. on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015486)

Hi Pat,
Sounds like you've done some homework on the subject. What is the connection between PF and LGS? Is it that the nutrients that are needed to maintain healthy supportive tissue (PF) are not fed? I can understand the connection between IBD and LGS but that's where my understanding stops. Any more info would be sincerely appreciated. Thanking you in advance.......................Elise

Re: LEAKY GUT ...possible link to the PF problem?

alan k on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015488)

I am curious too about the connection to PF. It is never mentioned as a side-effect of leaky gut in any of the literature I've seen (alot), and that literature is very liberal about attributing any and all number of conditions to leaky gut.

I don't doubt the possibility of a connection, but wonder why the leaky gut writers and entrepeneurs don't include chronic heel pain in their very long and wide ranging claims.

alan k

Pat on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015490)

The link to these conditions is usually the Mucosal Barrier of the Intestines. The intestines main function is to absorb nutrients for metabolism. The Mucosal Barrier lines the intestinal wall and acts as a protector and blocks out toxins and waste that passes through the intestines. And it lets the good essentials pass thru it for absorption. IF this Barrier becomes compromised and is not able to do it's job,it lets the 'bad guys' go thru and does not let the 'good guys' be absorbed. There are numerous conditions that bring this on...lowered immunity (mucosal barrier is part of the immune system), overgrowth of candida, IBS (inflamed bowel), celiac disease (as mentioned before). Like I said MANY causes, but I'll bet you most go back to poor immunity do to poor diet. It's kind of a big cycle, one will lead to another. Anyway, I could go on, but just go to your web search engines and look up 'leaky Gut Syndrome' You'll find all kinds of info.

Annette on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015523)

When a person has leaky gut toxins that are normally blocked by the instestine pass over and settle in the fatty tissue and joints in the body. the excretory system gets overloaded and can't eliminate them. This can cause severe inflammation and joint pain. Many people who have arthritis don't have wear and tear on their joints, their joints are inflammed with toxins and one of the places the pain can be terrible is in the feet. I know, it happened to me. I always had the atypical PF that wouldn't respond to conventional treatment that many have posted here about. I did some reading on my own about the yeast killing diet and candida and leaky gut and started my own program of eating to kill candida and taking supplements. As I have progressed slowly on this program my foot apin and other pain all over my body has slolwly decreased. I have been corresponding with Nancy S. who has posted an experience just like mine. Other symptoms of leaky gut include severe fatigue, muscle pain, headache, joint pain, and gastrointestinal upsets among others. Leaky gut has been tied to chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, arthritis and other chronic health problems. If you have further questions you can e-mail me at (email removed). I am not sellling anything and just want to help others in pain like myself.

alan k on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015529)

Thanks for your answer. I wonder why, though, the sole of the foot is effected since it is not really a joint, while the ankle, knee, elbow etc. would be more likely for such pain.
By the way, I have nothing against this theory and have been trying a modified anti-candida diet for some time.

alan k

Nancy S. on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015534)

If the immune system in general is compromised, wouldn't this make all sorts of body tissue fair game for inflammation? For example, why the bloating, extreme fatigue, sore throat and postnasal drip, brain fuzziness, all associated with candida (and which are just a few of the symptoms I had -- more are coming to mind as I write: psoriasis, rashes, etc.)? It seems this condition could lodge just about anywhere and everywhere, not only in joints. You noticed my references to brain fuzziness, Alan. Actually I was beginning to think I had chronic fatigue syndrome (whatever that is) when you encouraged me to research candida -- and to my surprise I found sites on the web by doctors who have studied candida in chronic fatigue patients and found the conditions often in tandem. Am I getting off track here? Saturday ramblings. Sorry -- probably doesn't answer your question, but having experienced so many of the candida symptoms and finding the diet afffecting so many of them positively, I guess no other correlation would surprise me. -- Nancy

Elise M. on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015486)

Hi Pat,
Sounds like you've done some homework on the subject. What is the connection between PF and LGS? Is it that the nutrients that are needed to maintain healthy supportive tissue (PF) are not fed? I can understand the connection between IBD and LGS but that's where my understanding stops. Any more info would be sincerely appreciated. Thanking you in advance.......................Elise

alan k on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015488)

I am curious too about the connection to PF. It is never mentioned as a side-effect of leaky gut in any of the literature I've seen (alot), and that literature is very liberal about attributing any and all number of conditions to leaky gut.

I don't doubt the possibility of a connection, but wonder why the leaky gut writers and entrepeneurs don't include chronic heel pain in their very long and wide ranging claims.

alan k

Pat on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015490)

The link to these conditions is usually the Mucosal Barrier of the Intestines. The intestines main function is to absorb nutrients for metabolism. The Mucosal Barrier lines the intestinal wall and acts as a protector and blocks out toxins and waste that passes through the intestines. And it lets the good essentials pass thru it for absorption. IF this Barrier becomes compromised and is not able to do it's job,it lets the 'bad guys' go thru and does not let the 'good guys' be absorbed. There are numerous conditions that bring this on...lowered immunity (mucosal barrier is part of the immune system), overgrowth of candida, IBS (inflamed bowel), celiac disease (as mentioned before). Like I said MANY causes, but I'll bet you most go back to poor immunity do to poor diet. It's kind of a big cycle, one will lead to another. Anyway, I could go on, but just go to your web search engines and look up 'leaky Gut Syndrome' You'll find all kinds of info.

Annette on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015523)

When a person has leaky gut toxins that are normally blocked by the instestine pass over and settle in the fatty tissue and joints in the body. the excretory system gets overloaded and can't eliminate them. This can cause severe inflammation and joint pain. Many people who have arthritis don't have wear and tear on their joints, their joints are inflammed with toxins and one of the places the pain can be terrible is in the feet. I know, it happened to me. I always had the atypical PF that wouldn't respond to conventional treatment that many have posted here about. I did some reading on my own about the yeast killing diet and candida and leaky gut and started my own program of eating to kill candida and taking supplements. As I have progressed slowly on this program my foot apin and other pain all over my body has slolwly decreased. I have been corresponding with Nancy S. who has posted an experience just like mine. Other symptoms of leaky gut include severe fatigue, muscle pain, headache, joint pain, and gastrointestinal upsets among others. Leaky gut has been tied to chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, arthritis and other chronic health problems. If you have further questions you can e-mail me at (email removed). I am not sellling anything and just want to help others in pain like myself.

alan k on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015529)

Thanks for your answer. I wonder why, though, the sole of the foot is effected since it is not really a joint, while the ankle, knee, elbow etc. would be more likely for such pain.
By the way, I have nothing against this theory and have been trying a modified anti-candida diet for some time.

alan k

Nancy S. on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015534)

If the immune system in general is compromised, wouldn't this make all sorts of body tissue fair game for inflammation? For example, why the bloating, extreme fatigue, sore throat and postnasal drip, brain fuzziness, all associated with candida (and which are just a few of the symptoms I had -- more are coming to mind as I write: psoriasis, rashes, etc.)? It seems this condition could lodge just about anywhere and everywhere, not only in joints. You noticed my references to brain fuzziness, Alan. Actually I was beginning to think I had chronic fatigue syndrome (whatever that is) when you encouraged me to research candida -- and to my surprise I found sites on the web by doctors who have studied candida in chronic fatigue patients and found the conditions often in tandem. Am I getting off track here? Saturday ramblings. Sorry -- probably doesn't answer your question, but having experienced so many of the candida symptoms and finding the diet afffecting so many of them positively, I guess no other correlation would surprise me. -- Nancy