Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

depression, exercise, pods, and the severe cold

Posted by julie p. on 2/04/00 at 00:00 (015514)

I try to figure out when and why my pain varies from tolerable one week where I'm up and think I'm getting better - to I think I'll go into permanent depression because cleaning my house or going on my first graders fieldtrip to the pumpkin patch leaves me unable to walk without excruciating pain. My heart feels younger than my 39 years and my body feels old. I wonder how I will feel in 25 more years (my mothers age, who is spry and agile and walks miles every day) and I break out in a cold sweat. Then i go into the bathroom and cry. My poor husband must be tired of lugging my hot water pan to me and never mentions how ludicrous(SP?) i look wearing my horrible nightsplints. He feels strongly when I where them all night after my feet have a long soak in very hot water I have a better day. (I'm guess I'm not quite as grumpy or limpy.)

Last month I went to a volley ball clinic twice, after not playing since last August. My orthopedic Surgeon and my PT both said try, not in a real league or game, but more gently. The first night, a Sunday, I had so much fun and felt so up during the clinic! And then could barely get out of the car, had to crawl into bed after icing and then my hot foot bath and donning my nightsplints, one dose of rx inflammatory, thinking I was the biggest fool in the world. Woke up with the regular pain and by nightfall after a day of work - MY FEET DIDN'T HURT! Tuesday was OK. Wednesday was Ok, Thursday back to more pain. Go figure, I can't. The last two weeks have been much worse again, the weather here in Maryland has been unusually cold. Does cold hurt and tighten up the fascia?

I am going to see a podiatrist on Monday. I think I want to explore another type of Doctor but I am afraid he will push surgery.

What is the best stationary bike and why? I am afraid to spend too much money on something I am afraid will just gather dust but I am gaining weight with six months of little activity. I also do not want to by a bike that is not comfortable, etc. and then I won't use it anyway. With two young children and working full time swimming is just not a luxury I can afford. (time consuming to drive, change, swim, change, drive, etc.)

I have had PF for more than a year in both feet. Sorry for the rambling all over the place, I read the board and rarely write. Appreciate any thoughts.

Re: depression, exercise, pods, and the severe cold

Nancy S. on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015519)

Sorry you're having a rough time, Julie. What is your full-time job? Does it not allow you to rest your feet enough? Just a thought. I also wanted to mention that a podiatrist, in my own experience, is no less apt to push surgery than any other type of doctor (in fact I've read here of ortho surgeons who WON'T do surgery on the foot). My own podiatrist tried a shot, nightsplint, custom orthotics, and then was all set to cut. I would encourage you to try another type of doc, if you want to. -- Nancy S.

Re: depression, exercise, pods, and the severe cold / Reply

Elise M. on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015520)

Dear Julie,
I am experiencing the same thing you are, okay one day and crippled the next. Everyone here has had a similar experience. PF seems to have no consistencies at all. If I have an exceptionally good day, my nature is to push it to the limit. Then I end up paying for my foolishness with added pain. I've learned not to be so aggressive when I have a good day, to modify my behavior, so to speak. I hold myself back from going the whole way today so that I may have the same kind of day tomorrow. As far as your husband goes, my husband has helped me figure out what works for me and what doesn't and he's been very supportive. You might want to listen to him. Sometimes, when blinded by pain we miss things that others notice. You asked about a bike and the better model. My suggestion to you would be to use one at a gym first and see how your feet react. It might be a good alternative exercise for you, it might not. No sense in spending money on something you might not be able to use. As far as the cold affecting the feet, I live in Maine where we have about 20 inches of snow on the ground and it's been just above zero here for many days now. I'm CONVINCED that the cold plays havoc with my feet. I say this because when I first came to this site and icing was offered as a means of pain control, it just made me worse. I found that for myself, hot water, as hot as I could stand it without sustaining a burn was the best therapy. After steeping in a hot bath, I could get up and do laps. Depression is not an option for the PF sufferer. A good belly laugh daily stirs up healing properties in the body and is good for the soul. Find somewhere on the net, someone close to you, something to chuckle about everyday and remember, this too shall pass...........Feel better.......Elise

alan k on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015521)

I heard one person here said a podiatrist or someone told her a recumbent bike is hard on the knees, but several others prefer them. Going to a gym and extensively checking them out is a good bet. A bike with magnetic resistance makes no noise and so might be used more in environments where tv is on, etc, thus leading to more use, but it is more expensive. I find when I am on the bike I have little desire to stop pedalling, it's rather hypnotic for me so I do it as much as my feet can take. You need to see if your feet can take it-- but it's definitely going to be easier than volleyball.

alan k

john h on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015532)

if you have pf i cannot think of many things worse to do than basketball or volleyball. both require fast and repetative stretches fo the fascia. got to try a bike or something else julie,

Nancy S. on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015519)

Sorry you're having a rough time, Julie. What is your full-time job? Does it not allow you to rest your feet enough? Just a thought. I also wanted to mention that a podiatrist, in my own experience, is no less apt to push surgery than any other type of doctor (in fact I've read here of ortho surgeons who WON'T do surgery on the foot). My own podiatrist tried a shot, nightsplint, custom orthotics, and then was all set to cut. I would encourage you to try another type of doc, if you want to. -- Nancy S.

Re: depression, exercise, pods, and the severe cold / Reply

Elise M. on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015520)

Dear Julie,
I am experiencing the same thing you are, okay one day and crippled the next. Everyone here has had a similar experience. PF seems to have no consistencies at all. If I have an exceptionally good day, my nature is to push it to the limit. Then I end up paying for my foolishness with added pain. I've learned not to be so aggressive when I have a good day, to modify my behavior, so to speak. I hold myself back from going the whole way today so that I may have the same kind of day tomorrow. As far as your husband goes, my husband has helped me figure out what works for me and what doesn't and he's been very supportive. You might want to listen to him. Sometimes, when blinded by pain we miss things that others notice. You asked about a bike and the better model. My suggestion to you would be to use one at a gym first and see how your feet react. It might be a good alternative exercise for you, it might not. No sense in spending money on something you might not be able to use. As far as the cold affecting the feet, I live in Maine where we have about 20 inches of snow on the ground and it's been just above zero here for many days now. I'm CONVINCED that the cold plays havoc with my feet. I say this because when I first came to this site and icing was offered as a means of pain control, it just made me worse. I found that for myself, hot water, as hot as I could stand it without sustaining a burn was the best therapy. After steeping in a hot bath, I could get up and do laps. Depression is not an option for the PF sufferer. A good belly laugh daily stirs up healing properties in the body and is good for the soul. Find somewhere on the net, someone close to you, something to chuckle about everyday and remember, this too shall pass...........Feel better.......Elise

alan k on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015521)

I heard one person here said a podiatrist or someone told her a recumbent bike is hard on the knees, but several others prefer them. Going to a gym and extensively checking them out is a good bet. A bike with magnetic resistance makes no noise and so might be used more in environments where tv is on, etc, thus leading to more use, but it is more expensive. I find when I am on the bike I have little desire to stop pedalling, it's rather hypnotic for me so I do it as much as my feet can take. You need to see if your feet can take it-- but it's definitely going to be easier than volleyball.

alan k

john h on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015532)

if you have pf i cannot think of many things worse to do than basketball or volleyball. both require fast and repetative stretches fo the fascia. got to try a bike or something else julie,