Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

swimming swimming swimming

Posted by Nancy S. on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015518)

Hi all, I swam yesterday and thought I was in paradise! The water was warm, and I moved everything for 45 minutes: legs, feet, toes, shoulders, arms, hands, fingers, head, attitude, neck, the whole thing. I am not an athletic swimmer -- I sometimes do sidestroke, breaststroke, crawl, backcrawl -- not trying to win any races. Just kept moving. My energy was great afterward and I felt like a million bucks. I think getting the blood circulating everywhere made me feel more like myself than I have in ten long months. I wore these nubby plastic sandals right to the pool edge.
I would not have wanted to swim if it had to be at one of those cold-water fitness center pools. This pool is at a Howard Johnson's hotel (usually not my idea of a funfilled or inspiring atmosphere, but I'm a desperate waif at this point); the warm water felt very therapeutic. I signed up for a 3-month membership, $95. If you can swim, why not give it a try? You'll be glad you did. This is not a commercial. -- Nancy S.

Re: swimming swimming swimming

Lori S on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015536)

Nancy, Swimming is great! After my surgery, I was able to trade 'pool time' with 'computer tutoring' with my nextdoor neighbor. I'd swim 30 minutes each day and felt great! I could stretch my feet and practice walking without hurting the surgeried foot. Swimming is the best exercise when you have PF!
Lori in AZ

GinaC on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015537)

I've been swimming for 3 years (since getting PF) and even the cold-water pools are great once you get going. They are only cool for about the first 3 minutes; after that, they are merely refreshing! Getting out and being in the cold air is the only hard part, so I go right to a hot whirlpool on the way to showering.

Carol on 2/06/00 at 00:00 (015548)

Boy...I wish I could say the same about swimming. I used to swim about 3-4 times a week before PF. I quit for a while due to the intense inflammation of PF. Now, the inflammation seems to have tamed down a bit so I went back to swimming. My heel is bothering me again. Not bad, but definitely a little worse. I don't push off the wall like I used to but ever so gently. What could be my problem? Cycling is the ONLY thing that doesn't aggravate the heel.

Re: swimming swimming swimming--Carol

Nancy S. on 2/06/00 at 00:00 (015549)

Hi Carol. Were you a heavy-duty lap swimmer? If so, maybe that's the difference. My head is above water except in the middle of the pool; when I get to edge of the pool, I watch what I'm doing and I don't even touch the wall with my PF foot. I use my other foot only. I did do some stretching against the side while in the water, with my feet against the wall and my hands holding onto the pool rim, but again, I didn't actually put any pressure on my PF heel. I don't dare to. After the swim, I dangled my legs in the hot tub and thought that the hot water coming out of the pressure spouts would feel good on my heel. However, that Hurt -- the pressure was too much -- so I won't be doing that again. -- Nancy S.

Carol on 2/08/00 at 00:00 (015599)

Hi Nancy. Yes. I swam quite a bit for racing purposes thus 'push off the side to get momentum'. I will have to try it again and not push off the wall. I never did have the side of the pool in contact with my heel. It seems that when I push off the wall it was more like using the ball of my foot. That's why it's hard for me to believe the pain is because of that. I will be safe and not do that at all and see what happens. It will be very hard though!

Lori S on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015536)

Nancy, Swimming is great! After my surgery, I was able to trade 'pool time' with 'computer tutoring' with my nextdoor neighbor. I'd swim 30 minutes each day and felt great! I could stretch my feet and practice walking without hurting the surgeried foot. Swimming is the best exercise when you have PF!
Lori in AZ

GinaC on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015537)

I've been swimming for 3 years (since getting PF) and even the cold-water pools are great once you get going. They are only cool for about the first 3 minutes; after that, they are merely refreshing! Getting out and being in the cold air is the only hard part, so I go right to a hot whirlpool on the way to showering.

Carol on 2/06/00 at 00:00 (015548)

Boy...I wish I could say the same about swimming. I used to swim about 3-4 times a week before PF. I quit for a while due to the intense inflammation of PF. Now, the inflammation seems to have tamed down a bit so I went back to swimming. My heel is bothering me again. Not bad, but definitely a little worse. I don't push off the wall like I used to but ever so gently. What could be my problem? Cycling is the ONLY thing that doesn't aggravate the heel.

Nancy S. on 2/06/00 at 00:00 (015549)

Hi Carol. Were you a heavy-duty lap swimmer? If so, maybe that's the difference. My head is above water except in the middle of the pool; when I get to edge of the pool, I watch what I'm doing and I don't even touch the wall with my PF foot. I use my other foot only. I did do some stretching against the side while in the water, with my feet against the wall and my hands holding onto the pool rim, but again, I didn't actually put any pressure on my PF heel. I don't dare to. After the swim, I dangled my legs in the hot tub and thought that the hot water coming out of the pressure spouts would feel good on my heel. However, that Hurt -- the pressure was too much -- so I won't be doing that again. -- Nancy S.

Carol on 2/08/00 at 00:00 (015599)

Hi Nancy. Yes. I swam quite a bit for racing purposes thus 'push off the side to get momentum'. I will have to try it again and not push off the wall. I never did have the side of the pool in contact with my heel. It seems that when I push off the wall it was more like using the ball of my foot. That's why it's hard for me to believe the pain is because of that. I will be safe and not do that at all and see what happens. It will be very hard though!