Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Now I am torn...

Posted by cindyp on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015539)

I have suffered for 6 and 1/2 years. For the longest time I stayed away from doctors. Now I am going back and seeing a podiatrist on the 10 of February. I had planned to beg to get surgery because I cannot stand being in severe pain every day. Is this a bad choice? I have had the anti inflammatories, the physical therapy. I am not going to take shots. But I cannot stand the pain and want this fixed. I fear that after so many years that my options are limited.

Re: Now I am torn...

Laurie R on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015540)

Hi Cindy,My feelings are you should do what ever you think is best.You say you have had this for 6 and a half years? Why have you waited so long to have surgery? Surgery is not all bad.I have had alot of surgery on my stomach 7.I think if you have so much pain and have tried everything else you might have to think serious about surgery.What is wrong with your foot? do you have Plantar Fasciitis?Do you have a entraped nerve? Do you have TTS? The reason I am asking you all these questions is what kind of surgery would you have?I have had Plantar Fasciitis for 8 months now and I have 2 entraped nerves and they think I also have TTS and I have Had Meds about 30 PT visit EMG x-rays and now my Podiatrist says the next step would be shots and then surgery.I feel as you do I am in so much pain and the pain is all the time before it would come and go now it is constant.Anyways have a good night.Laurie R

Lori S on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015541)

Cindy, Of course it is your choice to have surgery. However, you mentioned that you've only tried a couple of things? Have you tried acupuncture? I had surgery on my left foot in May and am over 75% better but I did acupuncture on my right foot (also has PF and a bone spur) and it pretty much got rid of the pain after 4 treatments. Please make sure you have tried all possible remedies before resorting to surgery. It IS a last resort, one you cannot reverse. At the time I had surgery, I had suffered over 10 years with this pain and was so depressed that I didn't care if the Dr. actually cut off my feet! Therefore I had nothing to lose. Again, it's your choice but, if you read this message board, you will find that there are many things you haven't tried. Good luck with whatever you decide! Lori in AZ lssteadman@ mindspring.com (remove the spaces)

john h on 2/06/00 at 00:00 (015543)

i was in pain for many years cindy and elected surgery. i am glad i did as you could go thru life in constant pain and never try what might heal you. there are downsides to any surgery but we do not blink an eye to have our appendix removed or a gaul baladder or open heart surgery.a simple minimal invasive pf release with a good doctor is a 30-40 minute out patient procedure. the chances of it making you worse are minimal and the chances of it making you better (around 80% according to most literature) are good. it is your body however and your choice just do not be frightened by a few horror stories. 5 and one-half years is a long time to handle this pain. in my mind your big decisions are to use a poditrist or use a foot and ankle surgeon (md) and to use minimual invasive surgery or a scope. people argue on both sides of these issues. read all you can and not just on this board. good luck.

Bea on 2/06/00 at 00:00 (015547)

Just remember that if it goes wrong you could be losing your means of locomotion. I feel one should try everything non invasive first except for steroids which are dangerous & surgury asa last resort.

Rick R on 2/07/00 at 00:00 (015559)

cindy,

You are following the same basic pattern I did. After giving up on doctors for several years I went back to the one I trusted most. I had done enough damage to satisfy him that I needed surgery. I have no regrets other that the length of time it took to get surgery. I can't say I'm 100%. I believe if I wanted a normal couch potato lifestyle I would likely believe the corrected heel is 100%. As for there being no options, I still have a nasty spur on the right heel. It limits me to some extent but I can run again, with lots of precautions. Give them another try on the 10th and see where you are. Prior to heading down the surgery path do your homework on the surgeon. People will differ on their preference for podiatrists vs orthopedic. I used the latter because of his reputation as the best sawbone in the area, not any great conviction on which shingle he hung out. He was also the guy that was most reluctant to cut and he had the most extensive scientific approach to problem solving. Oddly enough I am of the opinion that the Dr most capable of deciding when to cut might not be the best to do the work, and vise versa.

Laurie R on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015540)

Hi Cindy,My feelings are you should do what ever you think is best.You say you have had this for 6 and a half years? Why have you waited so long to have surgery? Surgery is not all bad.I have had alot of surgery on my stomach 7.I think if you have so much pain and have tried everything else you might have to think serious about surgery.What is wrong with your foot? do you have Plantar Fasciitis?Do you have a entraped nerve? Do you have TTS? The reason I am asking you all these questions is what kind of surgery would you have?I have had Plantar Fasciitis for 8 months now and I have 2 entraped nerves and they think I also have TTS and I have Had Meds about 30 PT visit EMG x-rays and now my Podiatrist says the next step would be shots and then surgery.I feel as you do I am in so much pain and the pain is all the time before it would come and go now it is constant.Anyways have a good night.Laurie R

Lori S on 2/05/00 at 00:00 (015541)

Cindy, Of course it is your choice to have surgery. However, you mentioned that you've only tried a couple of things? Have you tried acupuncture? I had surgery on my left foot in May and am over 75% better but I did acupuncture on my right foot (also has PF and a bone spur) and it pretty much got rid of the pain after 4 treatments. Please make sure you have tried all possible remedies before resorting to surgery. It IS a last resort, one you cannot reverse. At the time I had surgery, I had suffered over 10 years with this pain and was so depressed that I didn't care if the Dr. actually cut off my feet! Therefore I had nothing to lose. Again, it's your choice but, if you read this message board, you will find that there are many things you haven't tried. Good luck with whatever you decide! Lori in AZ lssteadman@ mindspring.com (remove the spaces)

john h on 2/06/00 at 00:00 (015543)

i was in pain for many years cindy and elected surgery. i am glad i did as you could go thru life in constant pain and never try what might heal you. there are downsides to any surgery but we do not blink an eye to have our appendix removed or a gaul baladder or open heart surgery.a simple minimal invasive pf release with a good doctor is a 30-40 minute out patient procedure. the chances of it making you worse are minimal and the chances of it making you better (around 80% according to most literature) are good. it is your body however and your choice just do not be frightened by a few horror stories. 5 and one-half years is a long time to handle this pain. in my mind your big decisions are to use a poditrist or use a foot and ankle surgeon (md) and to use minimual invasive surgery or a scope. people argue on both sides of these issues. read all you can and not just on this board. good luck.

Bea on 2/06/00 at 00:00 (015547)

Just remember that if it goes wrong you could be losing your means of locomotion. I feel one should try everything non invasive first except for steroids which are dangerous & surgury asa last resort.

Rick R on 2/07/00 at 00:00 (015559)

cindy,

You are following the same basic pattern I did. After giving up on doctors for several years I went back to the one I trusted most. I had done enough damage to satisfy him that I needed surgery. I have no regrets other that the length of time it took to get surgery. I can't say I'm 100%. I believe if I wanted a normal couch potato lifestyle I would likely believe the corrected heel is 100%. As for there being no options, I still have a nasty spur on the right heel. It limits me to some extent but I can run again, with lots of precautions. Give them another try on the 10th and see where you are. Prior to heading down the surgery path do your homework on the surgeon. People will differ on their preference for podiatrists vs orthopedic. I used the latter because of his reputation as the best sawbone in the area, not any great conviction on which shingle he hung out. He was also the guy that was most reluctant to cut and he had the most extensive scientific approach to problem solving. Oddly enough I am of the opinion that the Dr most capable of deciding when to cut might not be the best to do the work, and vise versa.