Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Laurie R (long)

Posted by Lucy M on 2/08/00 at 00:00 (015605)

I had PF for about a year and a half before the surgery - one year of that seeing a podiatrist, who is also a foot and ankle surgeon. My pain in the beginning was absolutely horrible. I went through cortisone shots, of which the first two helped a lot, stretching, icing, NSAIDS, orthotics, physical therapy, walking cast, medrol packs, etc, etc.
Although I had got better from when I first went to see the pod, I continued to go through patterns of getting better and then getting worse. In particular, I went through phy therapy twice, and each time seemed to aggravate the condition. The sore spot in my heel never went away. I would get weird sharp pains up the inside of my ankle (this particularly started when I was in the walking cast), and in my arch. I had basically run out of options to try so I decided to go with the EPF. I hadn't tried tapping my ankle until a few weeks before I had surgery so I don't know if it would have done this all along. I would get a shooting pain along my foot and into my big toe when I tapped. I mentioned it to my pod and she didn't think it was TTS. TTS had never been a consideration - I've always had classic PF symptons, I just wanted to mention that those shooting pains from tapping don't happen anymore.
My EPF was a 1/3 release of the medial band; two-portal method developed by Dr. Barrett. I was partial weight-bearing in a walking cast with crutches after the surgery. I had some very strong pulling sensations on the bottom of my foot in the few days after the surgery so my pod put me to non weight bearing with the crutches which so wonderfully have given me tendonitis in my right forearm. Anyway, I went back to partial weight-bearing after a few days and that pulling sensation has decreased substantially. The sore spot on my heel is completely gone and I can rub my arch without it hurting at all. I got my stitches out yesterday and got rid of the crutches and walking cast. Ya! The areas around the incisions are tender and I'm just walking slow but it doesn't really hurt. I do have some tingling and weird pains (just mild, not painful) but I think those are just nerves that got disturbed from the surgery and will take some time to get back to normal. I'm starting physical therapy for 4 weeks this evening. I've very pleased with the surgery and glad I did it.
I hope this helps, sorry it's so long. If you want to know anything else I'd be happy to let you know. Good luck at the podiatrist next week.

Re: To Laurie R (long) RE Lucy

Laurie R on 2/08/00 at 00:00 (015607)

Hi Lucy,Thank you so much for letting me know this.It sounds like to me your sugery went well .It is so nice to hear that.If you don't mind can you tell me how long did your surgery take?And were you awake or asleep for your surgery?Like I said I am a person who likes to know everything it helps me to think about my options for whats ahead of me.See I have had 7 surgerys on my stomach and people used to call me all the time about what to expect I love helping people and it sounds like you do too.Thank you again and good luck with your PT tonight.Laurie R

Lucy M on 2/08/00 at 00:00 (015609)

Hi Laurie. I'm glad I can help by giving you some info. I find it's always helpful to know what some others have experienced.
I had to go to the hospital for a pre-op visit the day before. They took my history and blood. One the day of surgery I had to show up 2 hours early to start the IV, give me fluids and antibiotics, and show me how to use the crutches. Once I got in the operating room they gave me a heavy sedative to make me sleep. I had local anesthesia in my foot. The procedure was scheduled to start at noon. I was out of the hospital by about 3:30pm. I think the surgery itself was about an hour. My pod had explained that she can do it in about 15 minutes if they're aren't any complications but she likes to take her time and be very thorough and careful. I did wake up in the operating room right before they were done. I could feel my toes and I know I started wiggling them but nothing hurt. I don't think I would want to be awake during the surgery - too much anxiety even though I was comfortable with having it done. After I was taken to recovery to rest. The hospital I was at had really nice nurses who took very good care of me and made me comfortable which I'm very grateful for.
I had the surgery on a Thursday and I stayed at home until Tuesday. I went for my first post-op check-up on the Tuesday when I had my dressing changed to bandaids and an ace bandage. I went back to work on Wednesday. I have a desk job so this was possible. Anyone with a standing or walking job would need some more time off I think.
Good luck with everything. Are you considering having surgery?
Thanks, Natasha

Laurie R on 2/08/00 at 00:00 (015618)

Thanks Lucy,I'm not considering surgery at this point but the last time I was at my podiatist office he said the next step would be shots and if that didn't work then surgery.I have only had this PF for 8 months now but it has been a long 8 months.I was off work for 2 weeks when this all started then I went back to work for 3 months and I have paid for it .See I am a bartender I have been for 16 years so I am on my feet all the time I work 9 to 10 hours a night with no brakes and my job didn't care I had somthing wrong with my foot.So now I have been off work for over 4 months I go to PT and I am in a walking cast for the second time.When I would wear a shoe on my pf foot it would cause even more pain and now my podiatist thinks I also have TTS.I just had a EMG test last week and the Neurologist said that it was normal but he also said that I could have TTS too.If I did choose to have sugery I would have to be awake,how you had it sounded ok as long as they would give me something to relax me I would be fine,I don't like to be put out.So now how long are you post opt?And how much are you better then before sugery?I also wanted to thank you again for being so kind in taking the time to explain everything to me it has helped me to understand..............
I need to seriously think about my next podiatist appointment befoure I go because always when I would go I look for the doctor to have all the answers and then when he doesn't I feel let down so I will take the advice of Robin and take my pf in my own hands .thanks again Laurie R P.S. let us know how your first PT goes....

Laurie R on 2/08/00 at 00:00 (015607)

Hi Lucy,Thank you so much for letting me know this.It sounds like to me your sugery went well .It is so nice to hear that.If you don't mind can you tell me how long did your surgery take?And were you awake or asleep for your surgery?Like I said I am a person who likes to know everything it helps me to think about my options for whats ahead of me.See I have had 7 surgerys on my stomach and people used to call me all the time about what to expect I love helping people and it sounds like you do too.Thank you again and good luck with your PT tonight.Laurie R

Lucy M on 2/08/00 at 00:00 (015609)

Hi Laurie. I'm glad I can help by giving you some info. I find it's always helpful to know what some others have experienced.
I had to go to the hospital for a pre-op visit the day before. They took my history and blood. One the day of surgery I had to show up 2 hours early to start the IV, give me fluids and antibiotics, and show me how to use the crutches. Once I got in the operating room they gave me a heavy sedative to make me sleep. I had local anesthesia in my foot. The procedure was scheduled to start at noon. I was out of the hospital by about 3:30pm. I think the surgery itself was about an hour. My pod had explained that she can do it in about 15 minutes if they're aren't any complications but she likes to take her time and be very thorough and careful. I did wake up in the operating room right before they were done. I could feel my toes and I know I started wiggling them but nothing hurt. I don't think I would want to be awake during the surgery - too much anxiety even though I was comfortable with having it done. After I was taken to recovery to rest. The hospital I was at had really nice nurses who took very good care of me and made me comfortable which I'm very grateful for.
I had the surgery on a Thursday and I stayed at home until Tuesday. I went for my first post-op check-up on the Tuesday when I had my dressing changed to bandaids and an ace bandage. I went back to work on Wednesday. I have a desk job so this was possible. Anyone with a standing or walking job would need some more time off I think.
Good luck with everything. Are you considering having surgery?
Thanks, Natasha

Laurie R on 2/08/00 at 00:00 (015618)

Thanks Lucy,I'm not considering surgery at this point but the last time I was at my podiatist office he said the next step would be shots and if that didn't work then surgery.I have only had this PF for 8 months now but it has been a long 8 months.I was off work for 2 weeks when this all started then I went back to work for 3 months and I have paid for it .See I am a bartender I have been for 16 years so I am on my feet all the time I work 9 to 10 hours a night with no brakes and my job didn't care I had somthing wrong with my foot.So now I have been off work for over 4 months I go to PT and I am in a walking cast for the second time.When I would wear a shoe on my pf foot it would cause even more pain and now my podiatist thinks I also have TTS.I just had a EMG test last week and the Neurologist said that it was normal but he also said that I could have TTS too.If I did choose to have sugery I would have to be awake,how you had it sounded ok as long as they would give me something to relax me I would be fine,I don't like to be put out.So now how long are you post opt?And how much are you better then before sugery?I also wanted to thank you again for being so kind in taking the time to explain everything to me it has helped me to understand..............
I need to seriously think about my next podiatist appointment befoure I go because always when I would go I look for the doctor to have all the answers and then when he doesn't I feel let down so I will take the advice of Robin and take my pf in my own hands .thanks again Laurie R P.S. let us know how your first PT goes....