Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

a question

Posted by Beth D. on 2/08/00 at 00:00 (015613)

Hi all,

I have been following the board daily and am really glad to see the 8 going to Toronto-I can't wait to hear how you all make out! I'm at a loss right now. The pain I feel in my feet seems different from what I've been reading. I don't get sharp, stabbing pains in my heels. The pain I get is when I put on shoes-using the orthotics. My feet feel like they are swelling in my shoes and get achey all over the soles. If I change into my Birks-the pain subsides. If I wear the Birks all day I start feeling achey around 4-5 PM and have to put my feet up for a while and just not walk much-in any shoe. Occasionally I can press on the spot just towards the front of my heels on the instep. I feel like I'm not getting anywhere after nine months. Any thoughts?

Beth

Re: a question

BJC on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015633)

The causes of PF are varied, so the symptoms can be varied. There are so many factors that can contribute to pain. If your orthotics are painful they may need adjustments. I found that my pain was like yours, no sharp pains but more dull, achy, at least compared to migraine pain! I gradually got worse over time, with the amount of time I could walk decreasing to the point that I considered it interfering with my lifestyle. Had surgery 3 weeks ago, and thus far am delighted with the results. Am already thinking about when to have the other foot done! Good luck!

alan k on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015634)

Hi Beth,

I may not have time to follow up on these questions but others on the board can do it for me.

Is there a part of the foot you can press that feels painful? Of is it a general achiness when standing and walking but not when you press on certain spots with your hand?

Put two fingers together and tap gently and then try tapping harder under, around, alongside of the ankle, what do you feel?

How did the condition arise-- suddenly or gradually?

With the orthotics, be very conservative about easing your feet into them: wear them five minutes at a time at frequent intervals and never past the point where they are uncomfortable. Work up slowly, even more slowly than the pod advises. Any thing that feels good-- rest, putting the feet up-- do more of that. Get another pair of birks and switch them to give variety to your feet. Rest.

Keep in touch on the board, as your case sounds similar to mine and I am very interested and sympathetic.

alan k

Beth D. on 2/10/00 at 00:00 (015660)

Hi BJD,

What surgery did you have done? Can the rigid orthotics be adjusted? Thanks,

Beth D.

BJC on 2/10/00 at 00:00 (015675)

Had EPF (you may want to look at previous posts from the past 3 weeks). Yes, orthotics can be adjusted - mine would have to be sent back to St. Louis (from Tennessee)where they were made, to make permanet changes. Your dr. may be able to make temporary changes by building up certain areas with adhesive padding to see if that helps before doing anything drastic. We tried that a while ago, and I was glad I was able to rip out the padding after a few days! Depending on what material was used, the dr. may be able to make changes in his office. But have the dr. do it - you can get an orthotic out of shape real fast if you don't know what to do! Good Luck!

BJC on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015633)

The causes of PF are varied, so the symptoms can be varied. There are so many factors that can contribute to pain. If your orthotics are painful they may need adjustments. I found that my pain was like yours, no sharp pains but more dull, achy, at least compared to migraine pain! I gradually got worse over time, with the amount of time I could walk decreasing to the point that I considered it interfering with my lifestyle. Had surgery 3 weeks ago, and thus far am delighted with the results. Am already thinking about when to have the other foot done! Good luck!

alan k on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015634)

Hi Beth,

I may not have time to follow up on these questions but others on the board can do it for me.

Is there a part of the foot you can press that feels painful? Of is it a general achiness when standing and walking but not when you press on certain spots with your hand?

Put two fingers together and tap gently and then try tapping harder under, around, alongside of the ankle, what do you feel?

How did the condition arise-- suddenly or gradually?

With the orthotics, be very conservative about easing your feet into them: wear them five minutes at a time at frequent intervals and never past the point where they are uncomfortable. Work up slowly, even more slowly than the pod advises. Any thing that feels good-- rest, putting the feet up-- do more of that. Get another pair of birks and switch them to give variety to your feet. Rest.

Keep in touch on the board, as your case sounds similar to mine and I am very interested and sympathetic.

alan k

Beth D. on 2/10/00 at 00:00 (015660)

Hi BJD,

What surgery did you have done? Can the rigid orthotics be adjusted? Thanks,

Beth D.

BJC on 2/10/00 at 00:00 (015675)

Had EPF (you may want to look at previous posts from the past 3 weeks). Yes, orthotics can be adjusted - mine would have to be sent back to St. Louis (from Tennessee)where they were made, to make permanet changes. Your dr. may be able to make temporary changes by building up certain areas with adhesive padding to see if that helps before doing anything drastic. We tried that a while ago, and I was glad I was able to rip out the padding after a few days! Depending on what material was used, the dr. may be able to make changes in his office. But have the dr. do it - you can get an orthotic out of shape real fast if you don't know what to do! Good Luck!