Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF Twice And Other Stuff Done

Posted by Nancy M on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015623)

I've had EPF 1/3 release on both feet. My first EPF surgery was September 1998 after trying all the usual stuff - shots, anit-inflammatories, PT, orthotics, taping and having pain for about a year. My second EPF was March 1999. I'm glad to say I'm 100% pain free in both heels. I was put out for both surgeries, which only lasted about 30 minutes each. The first surgery I was in a hard cast up to my knee on crutches with no weight for one week. Stitches out in one week and then wearing tennis shoes. The second surgery I was in a cam boot after surgery and able to walk the same day. Stitches out in one week and in the cam boot for about another 6 weeks and then tennis shoes. I asked my doctor why the difference - he changed his procedure.

I've also had 3 neuromas removed (2 left foot, 1 right foot). These surgeries went well too. I do notice the numbness more in the left foot than the right, but I believe it's because I've had two removed from that foot one between the second and third toe and one between the third and fourth toe.

Now we think I have an entrapped nerve in my left foot. I received a shot last Thursday and was pain free for three day, but the pain came back Monday. Per my doctor, guess I'll wear the cam boot to work today and see if it keeps it calm during the day today. I didn't have it with me on Monday at work because I hadn't been in pain, but by the end of the day I had some discomfort and put it on when I got home. It was feeling pretty good Tuesday morning so I didn't take it with me with, and I wasn't as lucky. My foot was hurting like *!@^ when I got home Tuesdy and the boot went right on. So its back to the doctor on Thursday to see what he says.
Nancy in AZ

Re: EPF Twice And Other Stuff Done

alan k on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015632)

I'm sure he'll say the nerve is entrapped, since the shot did numb the pain.

Re: EPF Twice And Other Stuff DoneTo Nancy M

Laurie R on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015639)

Hi Nancy M,Thanks for your story I love to hear from people that have been throw surgery because thats the way we learn.I have learned more here on the board then any doctor has ever told me.Boy it sounds like you have been throw alot.How do you deal with all this.I take one day at a time.So it sounds like your surgerys went well and then you got something new going on right? I also am in a walking cast for the second time my foot does alot better pain wise then if I wear a shoe.From the start of my foot pain they have always said that I have aentraped nerve.Hope your day is better today Thanks again Laurie R

Nancy M on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015655)

Alan, he even told me when he gave me the shot that if the pain goes away we'll know what it is. Well we know what it is, now how do we heal it will be the big question tomorrow. Wore the cam boot off and on today - would start to hurt put it on for a couple of hours it would calm down take the cam boot off then the pain would start up again after awhile.

alan k on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015632)

I'm sure he'll say the nerve is entrapped, since the shot did numb the pain.

Re: EPF Twice And Other Stuff DoneTo Nancy M

Laurie R on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015639)

Hi Nancy M,Thanks for your story I love to hear from people that have been throw surgery because thats the way we learn.I have learned more here on the board then any doctor has ever told me.Boy it sounds like you have been throw alot.How do you deal with all this.I take one day at a time.So it sounds like your surgerys went well and then you got something new going on right? I also am in a walking cast for the second time my foot does alot better pain wise then if I wear a shoe.From the start of my foot pain they have always said that I have aentraped nerve.Hope your day is better today Thanks again Laurie R

Nancy M on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015655)

Alan, he even told me when he gave me the shot that if the pain goes away we'll know what it is. Well we know what it is, now how do we heal it will be the big question tomorrow. Wore the cam boot off and on today - would start to hurt put it on for a couple of hours it would calm down take the cam boot off then the pain would start up again after awhile.