Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shockwave energy speculations

Posted by Scott R on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015624)

The OssaTron can be varied from 36 to 51 MPa (5000 to 7000 pounds per square inch (but being applied over a fraction of a second)). 2-35mJ (mega or milli joules per shock? - neither value makes any sense. Maybe they meant Joules). 30-120 per minute. 20-30 minutes. Focal point: 8 mm diameter by 78 mm long (1/3 inch by 3 inches - rod shaped - 1 square inch). You can't compare voltage specifications for different machines because you also need amperage and duration of the pulse to calculate the amount of energy being applied at the spark.

Maybe they meant 2-35 Joules per shock, which would be the same as dropping a one pound weight anywhere from 1.5 to 25 feet and concentrating it on the 1 square inch rod-shaped area. I'd choose about 5 to 7 feet (about 8 Joules). The 25 foot range must be used for healing slow-healing bone fractures. Another way to look at that amount of energy being applied is to imagine a 100 Watt light bulb filament turned on for 1/10th of a second inside your foot, once or twice a second for 20-30 minutes. But it's not as hot as the filament itself because it's spread out over a little bit larger rod-shaped area.

Don't take any of this info to the bank! I'm just estimating and guessing for fun! Business Majors like me really don't know anything about this physics stuff!

Re: Shockwave energy speculations

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015635)

Thanks Scott,

I have a feeling that the orbasone and the osstran are the same machine at the plantar fasciitis range of treatment. I would like to know and I am sure Duane E. would be very INTERESTED. How could I find out what is the amount of pressure being applied withthe osstran at the focal point . I think we should use the term pounds of pressure because all of the PF patients will understand and can realize what this means. I sure know I can. I have the problem when someone gives me measurements of not being able to see them in my minds eye without comparing them to somethng I can see.

Re: Shockwave energy speculations

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015635)

Thanks Scott,

I have a feeling that the orbasone and the osstran are the same machine at the plantar fasciitis range of treatment. I would like to know and I am sure Duane E. would be very INTERESTED. How could I find out what is the amount of pressure being applied withthe osstran at the focal point . I think we should use the term pounds of pressure because all of the PF patients will understand and can realize what this means. I sure know I can. I have the problem when someone gives me measurements of not being able to see them in my minds eye without comparing them to somethng I can see.