Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Correcting myself

Posted by Scott R on 2/09/00 at 00:00 (015625)

The '1 square inch rod-shaped area' is probably the shock wave generating element and not the shape of the area being treated. The area being treated I believe is about the size of a quarter (a little less than 1 square inch in area, but I have no idea how deep the treatment volume is).

Re: Correcting myself

john h on 2/10/00 at 00:00 (015664)

if a lipotriptor can hit a kidney stone smaller than a pin head inside a kidney or urter with a precise amount of energy then hitting an area the size of the quarter just under the skin in the foot should be easy. experience and only experiece will tell what power setting to use for the most effective results. even then, different people have different bone densities, skin thickness, PF thickness, and probably resistance to the treatment being performed. it is going to take a lot of case studies to get this down to as exact science as you can.

Re: Correcting myself

john h on 2/10/00 at 00:00 (015664)

if a lipotriptor can hit a kidney stone smaller than a pin head inside a kidney or urter with a precise amount of energy then hitting an area the size of the quarter just under the skin in the foot should be easy. experience and only experiece will tell what power setting to use for the most effective results. even then, different people have different bone densities, skin thickness, PF thickness, and probably resistance to the treatment being performed. it is going to take a lot of case studies to get this down to as exact science as you can.