Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain after night splint

Posted by Bob G. on 2/10/00 at 00:00 (015688)

I thought I was on my way, third whole night with the night splint and making progress. Yikes! My first step this morning was 'suspicious' - meaning it almost hurt. So maybe it is possible to overdo a good thing (I could use a drink! lol).

Most nights when the splint is working for me I have been getting up in the middle of the night (the thing wakes me up), a little stretching, putting my shoes on and walking around the house (to get foot feeling comfortable). And then try to get back to sleep. But last night I went the whole night asleep with the splint, but woke up to an 'overdone' foot.

To further confuse the issue, I had put an arch support into the splint, but I seldom can tolerate an arch support (in shoes) for long. I only wear an arch support when re-injured or very sore, then have to remove it as it causes discomfort if worn too long. I have a normal arch and don't pronate or supinate very much.

Now, it looks like the night splint will get half the night, and if I'm not willing to get up and stretch, and work it out, then that's all. Enough is enough, too much of a good thing hurts.

I hope this makes sense to somebody. The 'bags' under my eyes are from lack of sleep, but worth it to beat this painful condition!

Re: Pain after night splint

Helene M on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015700)

Is the night splint adjustable? Perhaps you could reduce the angle so that it's not stretching the fascia as much.

Bob G. on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015751)

Thank you, Helene, that is worth a try.

julie p. on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015795)

Perhaps your splints are too tight? I had pain on the top of my foot until I loosened the ace bandages that hold them on. My feet still hurt in the morning, I stretch alot before getting out of bed and put on my birks or mephisto sandles before standin up and it it tolerable getting to the bathroom.
Sometimes in the middle of the night I will rip off my splints and wake up feeling luxurious with bare feet against my sheets, but the pain is worse when I finally get out. I sleep so soundly I barely remember pulling them off.

Helene M on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015700)

Is the night splint adjustable? Perhaps you could reduce the angle so that it's not stretching the fascia as much.

Bob G. on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015751)

Thank you, Helene, that is worth a try.

julie p. on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015795)

Perhaps your splints are too tight? I had pain on the top of my foot until I loosened the ace bandages that hold them on. My feet still hurt in the morning, I stretch alot before getting out of bed and put on my birks or mephisto sandles before standin up and it it tolerable getting to the bathroom.
Sometimes in the middle of the night I will rip off my splints and wake up feeling luxurious with bare feet against my sheets, but the pain is worse when I finally get out. I sleep so soundly I barely remember pulling them off.