Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ARGH!!!! Got the bill today....

Posted by Susan S on 2/10/00 at 00:00 (015690)

$140 for an office visit; $75 for the shots which I got absolutely NO benefit; $15 for 'medical equipment' (I have no idea) PLUS I paid him $150 for custom inserts that day. The pain is absolutely intolerable with them in my shoe. (BTW Had to buy a shoe that they would fit into.)

Is this normal?? Fair profit Dr. Z?? I think not!

Do I have any recourse here or am I just a victim? I would not hesitate in paying this if I had gotten some relief but unfortunately the best thing he did for me was to give me a doctor's (And I use that term loosely) excuse to wear my running shoes to work for a month. Time is up and I am sick of everyone saying Good Morning to my feet.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent...

Re: ARGH!!!! Got the bill today....

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/10/00 at 00:00 (015694)

I guess the Dr. Z is a question for Dr. Zuckerman. Well! did they tell you the fee before the service was performed. This does seem very high for the service involved. My initial examination is $65. May be the charge is for x-rays. The shot is about average. The insert non-custom is very high . Let see. did I miss anything. Oh! there is never a promise of cure even if the fee was fair, which I agree is very high!!!

In my practice the patient is alway right. So talk to the office maybe you can reduce the fee. A doctor must tell you his fee before hand. Did you have insurance. Was this the deductible. Let me how you made out.

Bob G. on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015696)

Some 'practicioners' are just out for the money. You find this type of personality in every walk of life. Sorry, but you should have asked and shopped around; but at least you found this web site - this site is worth more so stick around for the give and take.

SEEK REFERENCES. Hope your luck changes soon.

Susan S on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015704)

I wasn't looking for a cure, just a little relief. No, he did not tell me the price of anthing except the custom insert which I gladly paid. He also told me that insurance probably would not cover it BUT he would charge the insurance company $300 and if they paid he would reimburse me my $150. This should have been a warning sign, I agree. Also, no x-rays.Unfortunately since he is new to the area he is not enrolled in my PPO which means it's all on me. They didn't even allow me full credit for the charges toward my deductable....reasonable and customary, you know.
I expected to pay more but I damn sure expected to get something in return.
BTW I live in small town Mississippi. There just aren't a lot of opportunities to 'shop around' for health care.

john h on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015709)

susan: my office visit to a board certified foot and ankle surgeon was about $55. he did not offer a shot, recommend orthotics but did take x-rays. he started me on anti-inflamatories,ice, and stretching. sounds like your guy is after the $!

Susan S on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015715)

No Doubt!! I called him this morning and was told that that billing was for insurance only and the $150 I had already paid him covered all the charges. If insurance doesn't pay, I don't owe him any more. If he had gotten $230 from my insurance PLUS the $300 he billed them for my orthodic he would have refunded me my money. $630 from insurance = $150 from me....

And just to make you grin: He told me that his charges were average for our zip code. Ironically enough: No other pods here! LOL

Seriously, wonder to whom I should report this?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015745)

I though this type of billing was gone. You can't due this. One fee for both the patient and the insurance. You need to report this to the State Board of Medical Examiners or the State Board of Podiatry.
Look in the phone book under Podiatrist and see who regulates the podiatry. Usually will find this at the beginning of the headings. This is wrong wrong. I have found a great semi custom orthosis called powersteop . Look on the net http://www.powerstep.com

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/10/00 at 00:00 (015694)

I guess the Dr. Z is a question for Dr. Zuckerman. Well! did they tell you the fee before the service was performed. This does seem very high for the service involved. My initial examination is $65. May be the charge is for x-rays. The shot is about average. The insert non-custom is very high . Let see. did I miss anything. Oh! there is never a promise of cure even if the fee was fair, which I agree is very high!!!

In my practice the patient is alway right. So talk to the office maybe you can reduce the fee. A doctor must tell you his fee before hand. Did you have insurance. Was this the deductible. Let me how you made out.

Bob G. on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015696)

Some 'practicioners' are just out for the money. You find this type of personality in every walk of life. Sorry, but you should have asked and shopped around; but at least you found this web site - this site is worth more so stick around for the give and take.

SEEK REFERENCES. Hope your luck changes soon.

Susan S on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015704)

I wasn't looking for a cure, just a little relief. No, he did not tell me the price of anthing except the custom insert which I gladly paid. He also told me that insurance probably would not cover it BUT he would charge the insurance company $300 and if they paid he would reimburse me my $150. This should have been a warning sign, I agree. Also, no x-rays.Unfortunately since he is new to the area he is not enrolled in my PPO which means it's all on me. They didn't even allow me full credit for the charges toward my deductable....reasonable and customary, you know.
I expected to pay more but I damn sure expected to get something in return.
BTW I live in small town Mississippi. There just aren't a lot of opportunities to 'shop around' for health care.

john h on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015709)

susan: my office visit to a board certified foot and ankle surgeon was about $55. he did not offer a shot, recommend orthotics but did take x-rays. he started me on anti-inflamatories,ice, and stretching. sounds like your guy is after the $!

Susan S on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015715)

No Doubt!! I called him this morning and was told that that billing was for insurance only and the $150 I had already paid him covered all the charges. If insurance doesn't pay, I don't owe him any more. If he had gotten $230 from my insurance PLUS the $300 he billed them for my orthodic he would have refunded me my money. $630 from insurance = $150 from me....

And just to make you grin: He told me that his charges were average for our zip code. Ironically enough: No other pods here! LOL

Seriously, wonder to whom I should report this?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015745)

I though this type of billing was gone. You can't due this. One fee for both the patient and the insurance. You need to report this to the State Board of Medical Examiners or the State Board of Podiatry.
Look in the phone book under Podiatrist and see who regulates the podiatry. Usually will find this at the beginning of the headings. This is wrong wrong. I have found a great semi custom orthosis called powersteop . Look on the net http://www.powerstep.com