Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lateral Column Pain

Posted by CarlaK on 2/10/00 at 00:00 (015693)

I had plantar fascitis surgery in July, 1999. The heal pain seems to have disappeared, but I now have what the doctor says is 'lateral colmun pain'. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this continual pain?

Re: Lateral Column Pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015699)

This one of the complications of plantar fasica release. Now that the medial band has been cut the lateral band has more stress and weight.
This could take at least six weeks to one year to go away. Injections can improve the problem, Air cast splint to prevent supination of the foot. Strapping of the foot. Elastic ankle support. Is the pain at the base of the 5th met. Is the pain in the ankle lateral collateral ligament. Is the pain at the calcaneal-joint joint. Al of these are considered lateal column pain. How bad is the pain???. This can go away with an orthosis with a build up of the lateral aspect of the orthosis. When did the pain start. Sometimes it is compensation pain and not true lateral column pain. I guess I need more information .

The important thing is not to ingnore this. Aggressive treatment is important before there is damage to the foot.

john h on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015707)

i had surgery in august 99. what is or where is laterial column pain?

john h on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015708)

dr zukerman: when i had my fascia release (open using the baxter procedure) the surgeon only released about 20% of the fascia. the band from the great toe to heal. actually he removes a semi-cirular wedge of fascia about 1/2' in width over the baxter nerve just where the fascia attaches to the heel. he said he would rarely or never detach more than 25% of the fascia as he believed it could lead to long term instability of the foot. any comments?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015741)

This is very true. I try to only release the smallest amount possible. I do this under local anesthesia. The patient pulls the ankle and foot back. With a #64 blade against the medial tubercle I slowly cut the fibers. I am not sure exactly the amount, it is never the central or lateral band. I just want a slight release compared to the opposite foot. Too much will cause instability. This will happen even in some cases where you only cut 20%. The surgeon who did your foot clearly understand what will happen if you release too much, which is a clinical judgement.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015699)

This one of the complications of plantar fasica release. Now that the medial band has been cut the lateral band has more stress and weight.
This could take at least six weeks to one year to go away. Injections can improve the problem, Air cast splint to prevent supination of the foot. Strapping of the foot. Elastic ankle support. Is the pain at the base of the 5th met. Is the pain in the ankle lateral collateral ligament. Is the pain at the calcaneal-joint joint. Al of these are considered lateal column pain. How bad is the pain???. This can go away with an orthosis with a build up of the lateral aspect of the orthosis. When did the pain start. Sometimes it is compensation pain and not true lateral column pain. I guess I need more information .

The important thing is not to ingnore this. Aggressive treatment is important before there is damage to the foot.

john h on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015707)

i had surgery in august 99. what is or where is laterial column pain?

john h on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015708)

dr zukerman: when i had my fascia release (open using the baxter procedure) the surgeon only released about 20% of the fascia. the band from the great toe to heal. actually he removes a semi-cirular wedge of fascia about 1/2' in width over the baxter nerve just where the fascia attaches to the heel. he said he would rarely or never detach more than 25% of the fascia as he believed it could lead to long term instability of the foot. any comments?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015741)

This is very true. I try to only release the smallest amount possible. I do this under local anesthesia. The patient pulls the ankle and foot back. With a #64 blade against the medial tubercle I slowly cut the fibers. I am not sure exactly the amount, it is never the central or lateral band. I just want a slight release compared to the opposite foot. Too much will cause instability. This will happen even in some cases where you only cut 20%. The surgeon who did your foot clearly understand what will happen if you release too much, which is a clinical judgement.