Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A strange (to me) stretch has hurt my foot

Posted by Nancy S. on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015701)

The osteopath I saw about 10 days ago recommended a sort of twist-stretch for my foot, which I did the last two days and has landed me in a realm of more pain the likes of which I hadn't felt in a few months.
The stretch involves cupping the heel in one hand, and grasping the ball/toes of the foot with the other. Then you sort of pull, or twist, the heel in one direction while pushing the ball/toes of the foot in the other direction. Then you push and pull in the oppposite direction. He said to do this about ten times.
I did this, gently I thought, but ended up with a painful pins and needles type feeling immediately after I did it the second day, and ever since then (Wednesday) I've had pain all over the bottom of my heel, daylong, and the morning pain has come back, tho not as bad as it once was. I'm scared that I've reinjured the fascia, or injured it in a new way, after many weeks of feeling nothing but progress. I'm very upset.
Does anyone know of this twist/stretch? What should I do about this current pain? I felt like I was on such a good road and have now fallen into a ditch. Yesterday I had to get about and it was difficult, and my non-PF foot started to feel too put upon, I guess, and it is hurting also. Help please -- did I blow it? -- Nancy S.

Re: A strange (to me) stretch has hurt my foot

Helene M on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015703)

I've never heard of that kind of stretch. Perhaps the stretch was too aggressive to a foot that was not yet fully healed. I have always found that I cannot stretch my foot at all unless it is completely healed. If there is any inflammation at all, the tiniest bit of stretching makes me far worse. Sometimes I'm fooled into thinking it's healed but there's probably a low level of inflamation which then makes the PF come back with a vengeance if I try to stretch. Hope the pain you are feeling now is short-lived.

Laurie R on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015720)

Hi Nancy,Maybe you irritated a nerve.I have a entraped nerve and when I do certain excercises I really irritate it and it causes so much more pain and it takes a while for it to fell better.Have you tried to put ice on your foot? Sometimes it helps me....Hope you feel better.
Laurie R

Re: A strange (to me) stretch has hurt my foot/ Reply

Elise M. on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015724)

Hi Nancy,
I'm sorry to hear about your recent setback. I don't believe you blew it, I think you just overexerted an already-injured area and it's set you back a ways. I've done the same thing many times myself and it is indeed frustrating, not to mention uncomfortable. I haven't done much posting lately because I've come to a point where I believe I am as good as I will get for now. I was able to walk my dog for approximately 1.5 miles without much discomfort.Today it snowed here about 6 inches (on top of the 18' we already had) and I used the snowblower which required much pushing as a lot of my property is uphill. I did stretch out before I attempted to clear the grounds but towards the end, it was obvious that I was overdoing it, so I stopped. Don't give up yet, it's just a temporary setback. Feel better..............Elise

alan k on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015756)

In my experience the set-backs are scary but with rest I usually get back to where I was in only a few days, even though when the set back happens it doesn't seem like it can go away in a few months.

alan k

Helene M on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015703)

I've never heard of that kind of stretch. Perhaps the stretch was too aggressive to a foot that was not yet fully healed. I have always found that I cannot stretch my foot at all unless it is completely healed. If there is any inflammation at all, the tiniest bit of stretching makes me far worse. Sometimes I'm fooled into thinking it's healed but there's probably a low level of inflamation which then makes the PF come back with a vengeance if I try to stretch. Hope the pain you are feeling now is short-lived.

Laurie R on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015720)

Hi Nancy,Maybe you irritated a nerve.I have a entraped nerve and when I do certain excercises I really irritate it and it causes so much more pain and it takes a while for it to fell better.Have you tried to put ice on your foot? Sometimes it helps me....Hope you feel better.
Laurie R

Re: A strange (to me) stretch has hurt my foot/ Reply

Elise M. on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015724)

Hi Nancy,
I'm sorry to hear about your recent setback. I don't believe you blew it, I think you just overexerted an already-injured area and it's set you back a ways. I've done the same thing many times myself and it is indeed frustrating, not to mention uncomfortable. I haven't done much posting lately because I've come to a point where I believe I am as good as I will get for now. I was able to walk my dog for approximately 1.5 miles without much discomfort.Today it snowed here about 6 inches (on top of the 18' we already had) and I used the snowblower which required much pushing as a lot of my property is uphill. I did stretch out before I attempted to clear the grounds but towards the end, it was obvious that I was overdoing it, so I stopped. Don't give up yet, it's just a temporary setback. Feel better..............Elise

alan k on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015756)

In my experience the set-backs are scary but with rest I usually get back to where I was in only a few days, even though when the set back happens it doesn't seem like it can go away in a few months.

alan k