Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is this only temporary?

Posted by Alison G on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015712)

About 10 days ago I went to my orthopedist after having been in a walking cast for two months. He said it looks like I would have to have surgery. First, he said he would inject me with cortisone (last ditch effort). I had had two injections prior to this (about 4 months ago) and they did nothing and I have heard so many horrible things about cortisone. So naturally, I refused. However, he PROMISED me that if injected into the right place there would be no degeneration or slowed healing and that the worst that could happen was that the fascia would rupture and then I probably wouldn't have to have surgery. I know this sounds crazy and I cannot believe that I gave in. I was in alot of pain for about three days and now my foot feels completely healed. I can walk! I forgot what it feels like to walk normally without any limping or pain. I am just afraid that this is only temporary. Yesterday I saw another orthopedist and he said that the pain will probably come back. Is this true? Is the cortisone just giving me false hope? Is there anything I can do to stay pain free? Has cortisone healed anyone?
Thank you all so much.

Re: Is this only temporary?

Nicole V.R. on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015734)

Hi Allison,
About three years ago I had PF in my right heel and after one injection I haven't had problems with it since. Soon I developed PF in my left heel and a cortisone injection made the pain worse. The pain subsided to a livable level until 5 months ago, and I've had two more injections since, each time getting my hopes up because I'd be pain free for about a week or so. Then the pain would come back in full force. So, as you can see I've had good and bad experiences but I probably won't try the injections again. I'm hoping the ESWT will be of a great benefit. Good luck with your healing journey!

Re: Is this only temporary?

Nicole V.R. on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015734)

Hi Allison,
About three years ago I had PF in my right heel and after one injection I haven't had problems with it since. Soon I developed PF in my left heel and a cortisone injection made the pain worse. The pain subsided to a livable level until 5 months ago, and I've had two more injections since, each time getting my hopes up because I'd be pain free for about a week or so. Then the pain would come back in full force. So, as you can see I've had good and bad experiences but I probably won't try the injections again. I'm hoping the ESWT will be of a great benefit. Good luck with your healing journey!