Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tendonitis

Posted by Scott R on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015746)

Colleen,
You said 'tenosynotitis flexor digitorum longus' . The flexor digitorum longus is just a muscle and it's tendon attachment that runs under the foot and to the toes. It's used for curling the toes down (flexor), digitorum (toes except big toe), longus (long tendon - the muscle is not short (brevis) so it has to connect to the back of the lower leg. tenosynotitis means it's short of a tendonitis and it is curable. Heat, Ice, massage, rest. In the future, possibly ESWT type stuff. here's a picture of it. note the tendons on the bottom of the foot

Re: tendonitis

wendyn on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015761)

Good picture Scott. Interestingly enough, this is also where my pain is. Perhaps because this is along the same path as the post tib nerve? Who knows. As an added point, I did find reference to this same 'Flexor digitorum longus' in my ongoing research on TTS. I will see if I can find it. Ah - here it is, a suspected cause of TTS in some cases is an 'accessory flexor digitorom longus muscle.

Now that I've searched through stacks of paper, I finally find the reference.

According to Wheless' Textbook of Orthopaedics under Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome; inciting causes 'an accessory flexor digitorum longus muscle is a common cause.'

Later on under 'operative decompression' it says 'if an anomalous muscle is found in the tunnel and is thought to be the cause of nerve compression then the muscle should be resected'.

I have no idea if this information is helpful to anyone or not, but I thought I'd pass this on since it was brought up.

More new words you can use to impress your friends while playing 'Scrabble'.

Re: tendonitis

wendyn on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015761)

Good picture Scott. Interestingly enough, this is also where my pain is. Perhaps because this is along the same path as the post tib nerve? Who knows. As an added point, I did find reference to this same 'Flexor digitorum longus' in my ongoing research on TTS. I will see if I can find it. Ah - here it is, a suspected cause of TTS in some cases is an 'accessory flexor digitorom longus muscle.

Now that I've searched through stacks of paper, I finally find the reference.

According to Wheless' Textbook of Orthopaedics under Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome; inciting causes 'an accessory flexor digitorum longus muscle is a common cause.'

Later on under 'operative decompression' it says 'if an anomalous muscle is found in the tunnel and is thought to be the cause of nerve compression then the muscle should be resected'.

I have no idea if this information is helpful to anyone or not, but I thought I'd pass this on since it was brought up.

More new words you can use to impress your friends while playing 'Scrabble'.