Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

methylprednisolone (medrol tablets) helped me a lot.

Posted by caryne on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015759)

I've posted several times , I've had this pf for over a year, shots, physical therapy, stress fracture, walking cast etc. Dr. ran an mri thought it was bone cysts at lst but collegue said it was just inflmaation and fluid around facia (glad it's not in the bone) anyway he's trying something different to help and I've had the best week I've had in a year! Just thought I'd pass this on..I don't know whether these prednisone tablets are it or it's finally letting up a little. I wear custom orthodics at all times plus trying to still stay off as much as possible.

Re: methylprednisolone (medrol tablets) helped me a lot.

Scott R on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015760)

Yes, it's the prednisone. They were a miracle drug for at one time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015776)

This is a very dangerous drug never should be taken for a long term.
I use this in extreme cases but never on a routine. This can cause many systemic organ problems and in some cases one dose can cause necrosis of bone in the hip. Stress fractures are another bone problem
So read up and becareful.

alan k on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015782)

I took a little slip in the bathtub right before going on medrol and slightly banged my chest against the side, and it just got worse beyond belief for the six days I was on it, and then got better as soon as I stopped. Increased bruising and healing difficulies were listed as side-effects, I believe. The medrol did seem to help slightly with the feet though.

alan k

rekha.s on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015785)

prednisone is a steroid. it is like a cortizone shot,except it is in pill form. it does have a lot of side effects, like moon face, weight gain, etc...my sister takes it regularly because she has lupus, I didn't realize it can be given for plantar fasciitis??...

I have developed knee bursitis after being in a cast, and the Dr is considering giving me Prednisone for it-but she says only after other things fail-and only a weeks dose. Steroids should be given as last resort, and shouldnt be taken long-term unless you have an auto-immune disease like my sis has-in which case there is no alternative....

caryne on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015804)

Mr. pod only gave me the 21-pill pack for a week and this is the last resort. We've tried pretty much everything and like I said I spent most of the fall in a walking cast because of a stress fracture and I still have pain and fluid now in the heel. But it sure has made me feel better these past couple of days. I'm hoping that this will carry over after the last pill tomorrow.

Crabbyass2 on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015812)

They improved my PF also. After years of trying every treatment on this planet for this dreaded PF, my Dr. put me on the medrol and I cannot beleive the differece it has made. The side effects of prednisone are usually seen when it is used on a long term basis. I'd gladely take it again as opposed to those dreaded injections, even if I did get a moon face.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015816)

Not true. I have seen permanent damage to the hip joint with just one short course of a medrol dose packet. I use it and understand why it works so well. It turns off the imflamation reponse completely. That why it is used in acute drug and allergy reaction or bee sting. Good for PF and any imflamatory problem but not good for repeated use. My rhemalogist friend make the patients sign a form stating that you could have permanent hip destruction. Just because you obtain great relief don't go on a crusade. It does have serious side reactions on a short term use. This is a fact not just an opinion. So use it use the understanding that you could have serious problems. Just like the problems you may have with surgery.

Re: methylprednisolone (medrol tablets) -side effects

wendyn on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015822)

Kay, since I have the book here - and for anyone who is interested;

Side effects listed

Stomach upset (common), can cause gastric or duodenal ulcers. Retention of water, heart failure, potassium loss, muscle weakness, loss of muscle mass, loss of calcium which may result in bone fractures and a condition known as aseptic necrosis of the femoral and humoral heads (the ends of the large bones in the hip degenerate from loss of calcium), slowing down of wound healing, black and blue marks on skin, increased sweating, allergic skin rash, itching, convulsions, dizziness, headache.

Less common side effects are irregular menstrual cycle, slow growth in children, depression of the adrenal and/or pituitary glands, development of diabetes, increased pressure of the fluid inside the eye,blood clots, insomnia, weight gain, increased appetite, nausea, and feeling of ill health. Psychic derangements may appear which range from euphoria to mood swings, personality changes and severe depression.

Obviously this is a heavy duty drug with major potential side effects. I personally would not take it unless absolutely necessary. You have to decide for yourself whether or not your condition warrants these extreme measures. I would take it for a severe asthma attack if I had to...I sincerely doubt I could be convinced to try it for my feet.

This is not to put down anyone who has used it, everyone's situation is different...but it's not something to be taken lightly.

Scott R on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015760)

Yes, it's the prednisone. They were a miracle drug for at one time.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015776)

This is a very dangerous drug never should be taken for a long term.
I use this in extreme cases but never on a routine. This can cause many systemic organ problems and in some cases one dose can cause necrosis of bone in the hip. Stress fractures are another bone problem
So read up and becareful.

alan k on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015782)

I took a little slip in the bathtub right before going on medrol and slightly banged my chest against the side, and it just got worse beyond belief for the six days I was on it, and then got better as soon as I stopped. Increased bruising and healing difficulies were listed as side-effects, I believe. The medrol did seem to help slightly with the feet though.

alan k

rekha.s on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015785)

prednisone is a steroid. it is like a cortizone shot,except it is in pill form. it does have a lot of side effects, like moon face, weight gain, etc...my sister takes it regularly because she has lupus, I didn't realize it can be given for plantar fasciitis??...

I have developed knee bursitis after being in a cast, and the Dr is considering giving me Prednisone for it-but she says only after other things fail-and only a weeks dose. Steroids should be given as last resort, and shouldnt be taken long-term unless you have an auto-immune disease like my sis has-in which case there is no alternative....

caryne on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015804)

Mr. pod only gave me the 21-pill pack for a week and this is the last resort. We've tried pretty much everything and like I said I spent most of the fall in a walking cast because of a stress fracture and I still have pain and fluid now in the heel. But it sure has made me feel better these past couple of days. I'm hoping that this will carry over after the last pill tomorrow.

Crabbyass2 on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015812)

They improved my PF also. After years of trying every treatment on this planet for this dreaded PF, my Dr. put me on the medrol and I cannot beleive the differece it has made. The side effects of prednisone are usually seen when it is used on a long term basis. I'd gladely take it again as opposed to those dreaded injections, even if I did get a moon face.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015816)

Not true. I have seen permanent damage to the hip joint with just one short course of a medrol dose packet. I use it and understand why it works so well. It turns off the imflamation reponse completely. That why it is used in acute drug and allergy reaction or bee sting. Good for PF and any imflamatory problem but not good for repeated use. My rhemalogist friend make the patients sign a form stating that you could have permanent hip destruction. Just because you obtain great relief don't go on a crusade. It does have serious side reactions on a short term use. This is a fact not just an opinion. So use it use the understanding that you could have serious problems. Just like the problems you may have with surgery.

Re: methylprednisolone (medrol tablets) -side effects

wendyn on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015822)

Kay, since I have the book here - and for anyone who is interested;

Side effects listed

Stomach upset (common), can cause gastric or duodenal ulcers. Retention of water, heart failure, potassium loss, muscle weakness, loss of muscle mass, loss of calcium which may result in bone fractures and a condition known as aseptic necrosis of the femoral and humoral heads (the ends of the large bones in the hip degenerate from loss of calcium), slowing down of wound healing, black and blue marks on skin, increased sweating, allergic skin rash, itching, convulsions, dizziness, headache.

Less common side effects are irregular menstrual cycle, slow growth in children, depression of the adrenal and/or pituitary glands, development of diabetes, increased pressure of the fluid inside the eye,blood clots, insomnia, weight gain, increased appetite, nausea, and feeling of ill health. Psychic derangements may appear which range from euphoria to mood swings, personality changes and severe depression.

Obviously this is a heavy duty drug with major potential side effects. I personally would not take it unless absolutely necessary. You have to decide for yourself whether or not your condition warrants these extreme measures. I would take it for a severe asthma attack if I had to...I sincerely doubt I could be convinced to try it for my feet.

This is not to put down anyone who has used it, everyone's situation is different...but it's not something to be taken lightly.