Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Strasburg Sock verses Night Splints

Posted by salina on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015779)

I seem to keep posting messages with questions, and I feel bad because I have no advice for anyone. I had no idea this kind of injury would drag on for so long. But now that I am realizing that I will be treating this for a long time to come, I am going to either buy the night splints or the strasburg sock. The sock was said to be more comfortable than the splint, but it looks like your toe would be bent back too far to be comfortable. Is there anyone wearing the Sock and likes it better, or vice versa? PLEASE help me compare them because I have five children that need new shoes and mom (me) is spending all the money on inserts, pain medicine, etc.. I know the Sock is cheaper, but I am afraid to buy them and then decide I really need the splints instead. Thanks to anyone with some advice.

Re: Strasburg Sock verses Night Splints

Steve L. on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015780)

Salina, You're right about the Strasburg sock bending the toes back,
however they are still less uncomfortable than splints, in my opinion.
I've been thinking of modifying mine to pull from the metatarsal
region rather than the toes. Good luck, Steve.

Bob G. on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015790)

I do have an opinion on this subject. I am using the night splint and believe it helps me progress. As Helene just pointed out to me the night splint needs to be adjusted to your comfort level. In fact, adjusting the night splint to your personal comfort level seems very important in living with the thing; it is difficult at times to get a full night's sleep - but, oh, is it worth it!

I have the Strassburg Sock, but am waiting until I reach a higher level of recovery before I even begin using the sock - I feel the sock is a little more agressive and could easily re-injure if not careful. I am looking forward to easing into the sock as I believe it will propell me to wellness in the long run.

I would not sell my night splint or my sock; they're important to me.

It takes so long to get back to no inflamation. Conservative use of the night splint helps; over-stretching before ready hurts.

Steve L. on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015780)

Salina, You're right about the Strasburg sock bending the toes back,
however they are still less uncomfortable than splints, in my opinion.
I've been thinking of modifying mine to pull from the metatarsal
region rather than the toes. Good luck, Steve.

Bob G. on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015790)

I do have an opinion on this subject. I am using the night splint and believe it helps me progress. As Helene just pointed out to me the night splint needs to be adjusted to your comfort level. In fact, adjusting the night splint to your personal comfort level seems very important in living with the thing; it is difficult at times to get a full night's sleep - but, oh, is it worth it!

I have the Strassburg Sock, but am waiting until I reach a higher level of recovery before I even begin using the sock - I feel the sock is a little more agressive and could easily re-injure if not careful. I am looking forward to easing into the sock as I believe it will propell me to wellness in the long run.

I would not sell my night splint or my sock; they're important to me.

It takes so long to get back to no inflamation. Conservative use of the night splint helps; over-stretching before ready hurts.