Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

GRAPE SEED EXTRACT? What's the deal with it?

Posted by Kelus on 2/12/00 at 00:00 (015792)

Hi, I remember (or at least I think I do) reading about Grape Seed Extract here at this board. What is the deal with it?
Has anyone had any luck with it?

Thanks, Kelus

Re: GRAPE SEED EXTRACT? What's the deal with it?

Nancy S. on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015803)

I know it's supposed to be good for a yeast-killing diet. I'm doing so much else for that that I haven't tried the grape seed extract. Think I read too that it can act as an anti-inflammatory. Probably worth a try. -- Nancy

Dave on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015824)

I tried it for a couple months and couldn't see that it helped. Maybe I should have taken it longer??

Lori S on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015826)

I took it for several months as an anti-oxidant. I didn't notice a difference in the way my feet felt.
Lori in AZ

John V on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015834)

Grape seeds contain a class of bioflavanoinds called procyandiolic oligomers (PCO's) that are purported to have anti-inflammatory properties. PCO's have excellent anti-oxidant properties. Their anti-inflammatory capabilities are supposedly a function of prostaglandin inhibiting actions--at least thats the pitch from the companies that market the extract. PCO's derived from pine bark are marketed under the trademarked name Pycnogenol. The grape seed extract tends to be a bit cheaper, I think. Does it work? I don't know; I have been taking pycnogenol regularly and have shown substantial improvement--but I've been taking other supplements as well and doing stretches and exercises, so it would be difficult to ascribe any particular benefit to the pycnogenol. Hope the information helps.

Nancy S. on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015803)

I know it's supposed to be good for a yeast-killing diet. I'm doing so much else for that that I haven't tried the grape seed extract. Think I read too that it can act as an anti-inflammatory. Probably worth a try. -- Nancy

Dave on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015824)

I tried it for a couple months and couldn't see that it helped. Maybe I should have taken it longer??

Lori S on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015826)

I took it for several months as an anti-oxidant. I didn't notice a difference in the way my feet felt.
Lori in AZ

John V on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015834)

Grape seeds contain a class of bioflavanoinds called procyandiolic oligomers (PCO's) that are purported to have anti-inflammatory properties. PCO's have excellent anti-oxidant properties. Their anti-inflammatory capabilities are supposedly a function of prostaglandin inhibiting actions--at least thats the pitch from the companies that market the extract. PCO's derived from pine bark are marketed under the trademarked name Pycnogenol. The grape seed extract tends to be a bit cheaper, I think. Does it work? I don't know; I have been taking pycnogenol regularly and have shown substantial improvement--but I've been taking other supplements as well and doing stretches and exercises, so it would be difficult to ascribe any particular benefit to the pycnogenol. Hope the information helps.