Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Strasburg Sock AND Night Splint

Posted by alan k on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015800)

Depending on how a nightsplint is constructed, it is often possible to wear the strassburg sock in the nightsplint at the same time, thus getting both the dorsiflexion and getting the toes back and involved in the stretch (a few splints I hear have toe involvement built in). Of course, in many cases this would be attempted after comfort has been achieved with both corsets individually. Some people report no effect, discomfort, or apparent stretching from a splint, and they might consider wearing both simultaneously. Others might be more cautious. The two at the same time is quite a contraption, though.

Re: Strasburg Sock.

John C on 1/27/00 at 00:00 (015151)

Bob,

I too am a runner that had PF for 16 months. During that time, I tried nearly everything, including the Strasburg sock. For me the sock worked fairly well. At first, I overdid it and made things worse. Later, I backed off and worked into using it and slowly built up wearing time until I got where I could sleep in it all night. At that point, it eliminated the morning pain. It didn't cure me. The PF was still there. It still took many months to cure myself enough to get back to running.

I am running in a pair of New Balance 877's. They are fairly stiff compared to the Nike's I used to run in. These work very well for me. I have one caution about running shoes. The majority of running shoes are going to a new style where they have a deep cut in the arch area. This makes the shoes too flexible in the middle of the shoe. I would avoid these shoes and look for shoes that have a straight old style bottom. Bend the shoe in your hand to see how flexible it is. The shoe should bend at the ball of your foot and not under the arch. I think that these too-flexible shoes are great contributors to PF.

Good luck.

John

Steve L. on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015284)

I also use the Strasburg Sock, though it's mighty uncomfortable. (I am looking at a few modifications...)As for New Balance, I don't think they can be beat.

Re: Strasburg Sock AND Night Splint

Bob G. on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015806)

Very interesting thought. Hmmmm...I may give this a try. Thanks!

salina on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015811)

I am already feeling bound up like a mummy at bedtime. These things aren't exactly a turn on for me and hubby. But I guess the thought of him pushing me in a wheelchair isn't too sexy either.

Steve L. on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015930)

Salina, My wife and I can tell you about the wheelchair scenario,
and let me just say that, if you get creative, the chair ain't all that bad!!

John C on 1/27/00 at 00:00 (015151)

Bob,

I too am a runner that had PF for 16 months. During that time, I tried nearly everything, including the Strasburg sock. For me the sock worked fairly well. At first, I overdid it and made things worse. Later, I backed off and worked into using it and slowly built up wearing time until I got where I could sleep in it all night. At that point, it eliminated the morning pain. It didn't cure me. The PF was still there. It still took many months to cure myself enough to get back to running.

I am running in a pair of New Balance 877's. They are fairly stiff compared to the Nike's I used to run in. These work very well for me. I have one caution about running shoes. The majority of running shoes are going to a new style where they have a deep cut in the arch area. This makes the shoes too flexible in the middle of the shoe. I would avoid these shoes and look for shoes that have a straight old style bottom. Bend the shoe in your hand to see how flexible it is. The shoe should bend at the ball of your foot and not under the arch. I think that these too-flexible shoes are great contributors to PF.

Good luck.

John

Steve L. on 1/29/00 at 00:00 (015284)

I also use the Strasburg Sock, though it's mighty uncomfortable. (I am looking at a few modifications...)As for New Balance, I don't think they can be beat.

Bob G. on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015806)

Very interesting thought. Hmmmm...I may give this a try. Thanks!

salina on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015811)

I am already feeling bound up like a mummy at bedtime. These things aren't exactly a turn on for me and hubby. But I guess the thought of him pushing me in a wheelchair isn't too sexy either.

Steve L. on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015930)

Salina, My wife and I can tell you about the wheelchair scenario,
and let me just say that, if you get creative, the chair ain't all that bad!!