Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

those gel type heel cups or cushions

Posted by Nancy S. on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015802)

I saw these in the shoe store and they looked really really comfortable. I wasn't interested at the time because Birkenstocks and sometimes my custom orthotics seemed to be all I needed. Since I hurt my foot with that flaky twist-stretch, my Birks don't feel good right now -- they seem to irritate something along the side of my foot, where I felt nothing until I did the twist-stretch.
So I'm wondering whether to get those gel things, and does one have to wear them without orthotics? I get some arch support with the orthotics. If I have to leave them out, would I need something else in there for arch support along with the gel things?
I call them 'things' because I can't remember what they actually ARE, plus it's Sunday morning.
Thanks for any info. --Nancy

Re: those gel type heel cups or cushions

Bob G. on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015805)

I wear Birkenstock FuBbett (correct spelling) heel lift inserts in my shoes. They are firm; they are wonderful at eliminating heel pain for me. Sometimes I add a simple arch support (Dr. Scholls) in addition to the heel lift. I eventually have to remove the arch support, but if I am injured or unusually sore I find the arch supports 'sometimes' bring relief. I always wear the heel lifts.

Some days are better than others. Good luck!

Re: those gel type heel cups or cushions/ Reply

Elise M. on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015807)

Dear Nancy,
I wear those heel 'thingy's' (gel heel pads) with my arch supports inside every pair of my shoes even if my shoes were initially comfortable without them. A little more comfort is a good thing. I got them at Wal-Mart in with the Dr. Scholls foot products. They run about $5.00. They have made the difference in being able to walk without my heels feeling like they're on fire. I looked at the heel cups but didn't think I'd need them. I'm happy with the gel pads and the progress they've afforded me. Feel better.............Elise

alan k on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015808)

The high end of heel cups are 'viscous' heel cups, like Bauerfiend and others. These are the best material to make a heel cup from, but also expensive, from $25-50 a pair. My doctor early on insisted that I get viscous heel pads. I did buy the $50 things faithfully, and if I knew then what I knew now, would be overjoyed to only have spent $50 on my feet. They didn't work much for me (which isn't saying much about how they work for others), though they were better than nothing.

You have to find them mostly in a pharmacy that offers orthopedic supplies.

alan k

Rick R on 2/14/00 at 00:00 (015836)

Nancy,

I have used these for the last couple of years mostly for running. In my opinion arch support is more critical than heel padding. My concern with the heel pads is that they raise the heel which has the effect of lowering any arch support you have. If you can combine these gel heel pads with an additional lift in the arch to account for the raised heel, I think you have a winner. Good Luck! By the way I got mine from the doctor so I don't have a hot tip on where to find them.

Rick

Bob G. on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015805)

I wear Birkenstock FuBbett (correct spelling) heel lift inserts in my shoes. They are firm; they are wonderful at eliminating heel pain for me. Sometimes I add a simple arch support (Dr. Scholls) in addition to the heel lift. I eventually have to remove the arch support, but if I am injured or unusually sore I find the arch supports 'sometimes' bring relief. I always wear the heel lifts.

Some days are better than others. Good luck!

Re: those gel type heel cups or cushions/ Reply

Elise M. on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015807)

Dear Nancy,
I wear those heel 'thingy's' (gel heel pads) with my arch supports inside every pair of my shoes even if my shoes were initially comfortable without them. A little more comfort is a good thing. I got them at Wal-Mart in with the Dr. Scholls foot products. They run about $5.00. They have made the difference in being able to walk without my heels feeling like they're on fire. I looked at the heel cups but didn't think I'd need them. I'm happy with the gel pads and the progress they've afforded me. Feel better.............Elise

alan k on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015808)

The high end of heel cups are 'viscous' heel cups, like Bauerfiend and others. These are the best material to make a heel cup from, but also expensive, from $25-50 a pair. My doctor early on insisted that I get viscous heel pads. I did buy the $50 things faithfully, and if I knew then what I knew now, would be overjoyed to only have spent $50 on my feet. They didn't work much for me (which isn't saying much about how they work for others), though they were better than nothing.

You have to find them mostly in a pharmacy that offers orthopedic supplies.

alan k

Rick R on 2/14/00 at 00:00 (015836)

Nancy,

I have used these for the last couple of years mostly for running. In my opinion arch support is more critical than heel padding. My concern with the heel pads is that they raise the heel which has the effect of lowering any arch support you have. If you can combine these gel heel pads with an additional lift in the arch to account for the raised heel, I think you have a winner. Good Luck! By the way I got mine from the doctor so I don't have a hot tip on where to find them.

Rick