Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Took arch insert out

Posted by salina on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015814)

I didn't wear my night splint the night before last, but last night I had them on all night. When I awoke, my feet felt relaxed and stretched, calves felt like I just had a light workout. But that would be normal, right, since they are sort of being lightly pulled all night? Anyway, I had to take my insert out that the doctor made me (its really hard) because after only walking for only a couple of minutes my arches were hurting against them. Right now, I am only walking around (not much) with just my normal walking shoe on with its original insert that comes inside the shoes when you buy them. But it feels a lot better now. Am I making a mistake?
Also, my doctor did not tell me anything about what kind of shoes I should be wearing. He did say that I have a normal arch, no flat feet or too high arch. As soon as I started having pain in my feet, I went and bought a new pair of shoes. But he did not look at them or offer any advice on a name brand or type of shoe that would be best.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

And let me know what you think of running shoes. This may have been what caused my problem. But I actually used to just wear my running shoes as my daily shoes (housewife, at that time with three boys, so I just figured they were good since I felt like I was always running and playing with them half the time anyway), but I never felt any pain in my feet. I never even thought about my feet, they never ached in any way, even while pregnant. But when we moved to Italy, they had very hard floors and the laundry room was in basement and we lived on second floor, so I was up and down those stairs a lot. that is when my feet hurt the first time, I remember thinking 'Boy, these floors are hard' and I quit running around barefoot. Put my running shoes back on. I always ran around in those. then, I got pregnant and my feet hurt, but thought it was just the pregnancy. Then, to my shock, was pregnant again. By the way, my husband and I found the leak and fixed it so no more surprises for us. during my last pregnancy, we moved to Hawaii and I started getting out of my running shoes and into flat sandals (you know, had to do the beach thing, hot sweaty feet, get the picture)and that is when my arches started getting that pulling feeling. Ok, I will make this short (not doing a good job of that, am I) I felt fine until my baby was five mos old, it was like I just woke up one morning and my feet ached and hurt and throbbed all over. It blew my mind, but thought 'Let me rest for a FEW DAYS', had no idea it would lead to all this.
The question is (yes, I did have a point to all this jabber) is:
Do you think my feet problems were caused from me walking around all that time in my running shoes for daily activities? or:
Do you think I would have been better off if I would have kept on wearing them, that it was the sandals that did me in?
I don't care if I ever go jogging again, or hiking, or anything. Just to be able to get through the grocery store would be heaven enough for me. Please don't send me any nasty grams telling me to quit rambling on about my problems. I have already realized I have went on and on, so if I have aggravated anyone, just ignore these questions and just don't reply back. I will understand. I am already making a mental note to keep my postings to a minimal from now on. So forgive me this one time, ok? My husband comes back today and he is more used to my ramblings. So 'Sorry' in advance.

Re: Took arch insert out

wendyn on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015815)

I think that it's probably more likely that pregnancy and walking in the flat sandals may have contributed to your problem. My second case of PF started when I switched from wearing running shoes with orthotics to flat sandals. Pregnancy is also hard on the feet (and pretty much everything else).

Glad you identified 'the leak' and had it fixed. Made me smile :)

Don't worry about long posts, most of us are long winded (comes from spending time on your butt with little else to do).

I think Scott prefers if you post one big huge note rather than a whole bunch of little ones.

Rick R on 2/14/00 at 00:00 (015837)

I'll vote for the sandals as the culprit (for the feet not the other thing) and vote for the running shoes as part of the cure. Actually running shoes could help cure both situations. Before the business casual thing I used to die during the day looking forward to getting those running shoes on ASAP. I think getting out of the dress shoes in the daytime has been a major factor in my recovery. I even wore Rockports which are soft, but no where as good as running shoes for the tired dogs.

I have had the experience of breaking my feet in to a higher arch support and it's a pain. Im my opinion it is one well worth it.

My wife's family is from Italy, Carbonara D' Bari (SP?). She's been there many times and my 3 Kids once(I was the one wearing running shoes). I bet you did a lot of walking, had to be tough.

Hang in there!

Rick

wendyn on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015815)

I think that it's probably more likely that pregnancy and walking in the flat sandals may have contributed to your problem. My second case of PF started when I switched from wearing running shoes with orthotics to flat sandals. Pregnancy is also hard on the feet (and pretty much everything else).

Glad you identified 'the leak' and had it fixed. Made me smile :)

Don't worry about long posts, most of us are long winded (comes from spending time on your butt with little else to do).

I think Scott prefers if you post one big huge note rather than a whole bunch of little ones.

Rick R on 2/14/00 at 00:00 (015837)

I'll vote for the sandals as the culprit (for the feet not the other thing) and vote for the running shoes as part of the cure. Actually running shoes could help cure both situations. Before the business casual thing I used to die during the day looking forward to getting those running shoes on ASAP. I think getting out of the dress shoes in the daytime has been a major factor in my recovery. I even wore Rockports which are soft, but no where as good as running shoes for the tired dogs.

I have had the experience of breaking my feet in to a higher arch support and it's a pain. Im my opinion it is one well worth it.

My wife's family is from Italy, Carbonara D' Bari (SP?). She's been there many times and my 3 Kids once(I was the one wearing running shoes). I bet you did a lot of walking, had to be tough.

Hang in there!

Rick