Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Questions for Mike W about his stretch/strengthening device

Posted by VickiJ on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015827)

Hi Mike,
I'm very interested in your device. I worked with a dance professor several years ago on a book she wrote and became a convert to the importance of stretching and stengthening the correct muscles. I'm posting my questions here just in case they will be of value to someone else too (rather than calling you)...I checked out the sample illustration of stretches/exercises for the foot from your booklet on the link Scott posted...do you also give exercises/stretches that 'work' the calf and upper leg muscles with your device?? I just had a dramatic experience that proved for me the inter-connection between all of the muscles. Brief history: I was immobilized by pf for 2 years...used to walk 3 miles everyday...was on crutches, found Scott's book, started streching and massaging, got properly fitting orthotics, moved on to a cane and just this last month began WALKING fifteen minutes a day (six blocks) and discovered with the first snowfall in three years that cross country skiing didn't agravate the pf so went gung ho...skiing for a hour everyday because it felt SO GOOD...stretching immediately after, but still having sore muscles because of the sudden activity after 2 years of near immobilization. My hamstring muscles have stayed tight (even with stretching...guess I over did the skiing)Standing in the grocery store the other day, I felt the pf suddenly tighten and start hurting AS THE hamstring cramped a little. I was astonished at the 'direct' relationship between the two.
So, while I am very interested in the stretches and exercises your device would do for my foot....do you also teach in the accompanying booklet how to work on the muscles in the legs with the device...or some other way? I hope so...since it has become so clear to me that at least in my case they are all part of my PF issue.

Also,what is your educational background....is it similar to what physical therapists go thru?

Sorry for the long post but for me the stretching and strengthening seems to be THE key for my healing and I am very interested in what you have to say about your device helping/working the leg muscles.

Re: Questions for Mike W about his stretch/strengthening device

MIke W on 2/14/00 at 00:00 (015849)

Hi VickyJ,
Thanks for your intrest in Personal Foot Trainers.

Yes there are several exercises that can be performed using PFT's that
will improve the elasticity of both your hamstring and quadricep muscles as well as your hips, abdominals, lower back, arms, shoulders, and chest.

Obviously the lower leg muscles are very important but everything is connected so you are on the right track by including all of the muscles of yourlegs.

My educational background; Bachelor of Arts from the University of Calgary, Certified Applied Kinesiolgist, Massage Therapist, and reflexologist. I have also studied Medical Qi Gong for 5 years.

A main focus of my business has been working with severe brain injury
survivors.

In Canada I believe what you are referring to is what we call a Physiotherapist, which is a 4 year degree with a more clinical traditional medical type of focus.

I just made a long post that explains my focus.

Thanks for your intrest.

MikeW

Re: Questions for Bob

Kim B. on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018794)

Hi Bob,

I guess that's why there are so many different manufacturers with so many different styles. Everyone's foot is slightly different. Here's to individuality!

Glad you are doing so well. Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to us. Here are my questions.

What is a roll bar? my NBs didn't have that feature.

How long have you had PF?

Do you think you can get a good result with just the straussberg sock alone?

Thanks for the info.

Regards, Kim B.

Re: Questions for Mike W about his stretch/strengthening device

MIke W on 2/14/00 at 00:00 (015849)

Hi VickyJ,
Thanks for your intrest in Personal Foot Trainers.

Yes there are several exercises that can be performed using PFT's that
will improve the elasticity of both your hamstring and quadricep muscles as well as your hips, abdominals, lower back, arms, shoulders, and chest.

Obviously the lower leg muscles are very important but everything is connected so you are on the right track by including all of the muscles of yourlegs.

My educational background; Bachelor of Arts from the University of Calgary, Certified Applied Kinesiolgist, Massage Therapist, and reflexologist. I have also studied Medical Qi Gong for 5 years.

A main focus of my business has been working with severe brain injury
survivors.

In Canada I believe what you are referring to is what we call a Physiotherapist, which is a 4 year degree with a more clinical traditional medical type of focus.

I just made a long post that explains my focus.

Thanks for your intrest.

MikeW

Re: Questions for Bob

Kim B. on 4/16/00 at 00:00 (018794)

Hi Bob,

I guess that's why there are so many different manufacturers with so many different styles. Everyone's foot is slightly different. Here's to individuality!

Glad you are doing so well. Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to us. Here are my questions.

What is a roll bar? my NBs didn't have that feature.

How long have you had PF?

Do you think you can get a good result with just the straussberg sock alone?

Thanks for the info.

Regards, Kim B.