Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

OK I need your help again My PF buddy's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Laurie R on 2/14/00 at 00:00 (015868)

Happy Valentines day to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ok I have other appointment with my Podiatrist on thursday to go over the results of my EMG.Anyways he told me last visit that the next step would be a cortisone shot.My pt thinks it would help me.I am wondering if it would,nothing else has helped so far.All I know I am in so much pain and at this point I will try anything but,I don't want to make it worst........Can someone anyone try to help me with this......on what I should do. Thanks as always ,Laurie R

Re: OK I need your help again My PF buddy's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alison G on 2/14/00 at 00:00 (015873)

Hi! Wow- about a week ago I was in the same spot you were. I had two cortisone shot about 3 months ago and they didn't do anything. However, I went to a new doctor and he convinced me that I should try another one. This one actually worked- I think its because I had tried friction massage to break up the scar tissue which localized the pain to one area. If you have pain over your entire heal it may not work. He promised me that it would not be harmful. However make sure your doctor specializes in this because it is easy to miss the fascia. I have done tons of research on these shots. If you have any questions please email me. ccan20@aol.com

alan k on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015884)

Laurie,

I feel that the shots I got in my tarsal tunnel region did not have any bad effects. I think it is different than when injecting into the fascia. I recommend the shots, based of course on just the experience of one person. However were I stated before that there appeared to be no effect, I do wonder whether the area around the shot doesn't feel a bit different somehow. It seems to be slimmer or something. This is very imprecise, I know, but I think there is some effect that the cortisone might have on the tissue, which might not be great in a person with no tts but might be worth it for someone who does. In any case this effect is so slight that I might be imagining it, and I didn't even think I noticed it until I read Wendy's posts and contemplated whether or not the cortisone had weakened anything.

I guess what I am saying is I still think the shots might be a good idea, but Wendy's concerns are something to think about too.

Note: the shots are not painful.

alan k

VickiJ on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015887)

a single cortisone shot was all it took for my sister's pf to become managable. I had two with absolutely no effect and refused to have anymore.

Wendy's comments are good ones. I don't think it would be harmful to have a shot...but I hope you feel you can discuss all of your concerns and questions with your dr.

BarbaraJ on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015922)

I do not believe that cortisone is harmless. My orthopedic surgeon will not give even one shot in the heel as he believes the risk to the heel pad is too great. And, the cortisone shot does not 'cure' pf. The underlying cause is still there. I did have one shot given by a podiatrist before I changed doctors. It did nothing for me and (thank God) didn't seem to have any ill effects either. Sorry not to have anything positive to say about cortisone. There is no miracle out there for us. Just don't give up and keep asking for the support you need. What has been the most beneficial to me is exercise--specifically foot strengthening exercises. My very best to you on finding some relief from your pain.

Laurie R on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015923)

Hi Barbara J.,Thank you for your kind words.I do know that it could help (maybe) or it could do harm.I just don't know the next step so as always I have anxiety because I have to go to the podiatrist this week.I do like him alot he is a real good listener,and he takes his time.

I do alot of strengthening excercises also but I have to be careful because sometimes it can cause more pain.I am still going to PT 2 times a week.I really have to careful with weight barring excercises too I will be doing fine and than bam more pain.I am also still in a walking cast for the second time,I think the reason it hasn't helped me this time is I take it off to much.

Thanks again Laurie R

alan k on 2/16/00 at 00:00 (015936)

Laurie please remember the distinction that has to be drawn between cortisone shots in the heel and in the tarsal tunnel. There are a lot of bad things to say about the shots in the heel, though some people say otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't get a shot in the heel based on what I know. By contrast, the diagnostic and therapeutic benefits of a shot in the tarsal tunnel might outweigh any softening of the tissues there. I don't feel I am harmed, as far as I know, by the shots I had in the tarsal tunnel. However, they weren't necessary in my case so If I could go back now I might as well not have had them.

alan k

BarbaraJ on 2/16/00 at 00:00 (015945)

Sorry, Laurie--that's what I get for not really knowing what's being talked about and not reading all the messages! I am only speaking about shots in the heel as Alan says. I do believe though that any steroid shots anywhere can possibly cause harm and not just to the area being shot. But, having said that, I have taken the shot in the heel (which did nothing either way) and I recently was on a short program of prednisone (also a steroid) for a back problem. Have not really found the prednisone to be that helpful either. So, as always, we each have to make our own decisions based on too little knowledge (in my case anyway). I do understand your anxiety and wish you the best in your decision. I'm on your side!

Laurie R on 2/16/00 at 00:00 (015947)

Thank you Barbara,I do need people on my side .I think I am going to go ahead and try the cortisone shot tomarrow, today I had PT and my therapist still thinks that it will help me.He also says their is really nothing else at this point left to try.So he says go for it.I will let you all know if I get the shot,who knows I still might chicken out when I get to the doctors office.Laurie R

Alison G on 2/14/00 at 00:00 (015873)

Hi! Wow- about a week ago I was in the same spot you were. I had two cortisone shot about 3 months ago and they didn't do anything. However, I went to a new doctor and he convinced me that I should try another one. This one actually worked- I think its because I had tried friction massage to break up the scar tissue which localized the pain to one area. If you have pain over your entire heal it may not work. He promised me that it would not be harmful. However make sure your doctor specializes in this because it is easy to miss the fascia. I have done tons of research on these shots. If you have any questions please email me. ccan20@aol.com

alan k on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015884)

Laurie,

I feel that the shots I got in my tarsal tunnel region did not have any bad effects. I think it is different than when injecting into the fascia. I recommend the shots, based of course on just the experience of one person. However were I stated before that there appeared to be no effect, I do wonder whether the area around the shot doesn't feel a bit different somehow. It seems to be slimmer or something. This is very imprecise, I know, but I think there is some effect that the cortisone might have on the tissue, which might not be great in a person with no tts but might be worth it for someone who does. In any case this effect is so slight that I might be imagining it, and I didn't even think I noticed it until I read Wendy's posts and contemplated whether or not the cortisone had weakened anything.

I guess what I am saying is I still think the shots might be a good idea, but Wendy's concerns are something to think about too.

Note: the shots are not painful.

alan k

VickiJ on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015887)

a single cortisone shot was all it took for my sister's pf to become managable. I had two with absolutely no effect and refused to have anymore.

Wendy's comments are good ones. I don't think it would be harmful to have a shot...but I hope you feel you can discuss all of your concerns and questions with your dr.

BarbaraJ on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015922)

I do not believe that cortisone is harmless. My orthopedic surgeon will not give even one shot in the heel as he believes the risk to the heel pad is too great. And, the cortisone shot does not 'cure' pf. The underlying cause is still there. I did have one shot given by a podiatrist before I changed doctors. It did nothing for me and (thank God) didn't seem to have any ill effects either. Sorry not to have anything positive to say about cortisone. There is no miracle out there for us. Just don't give up and keep asking for the support you need. What has been the most beneficial to me is exercise--specifically foot strengthening exercises. My very best to you on finding some relief from your pain.

Laurie R on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015923)

Hi Barbara J.,Thank you for your kind words.I do know that it could help (maybe) or it could do harm.I just don't know the next step so as always I have anxiety because I have to go to the podiatrist this week.I do like him alot he is a real good listener,and he takes his time.

I do alot of strengthening excercises also but I have to be careful because sometimes it can cause more pain.I am still going to PT 2 times a week.I really have to careful with weight barring excercises too I will be doing fine and than bam more pain.I am also still in a walking cast for the second time,I think the reason it hasn't helped me this time is I take it off to much.

Thanks again Laurie R

alan k on 2/16/00 at 00:00 (015936)

Laurie please remember the distinction that has to be drawn between cortisone shots in the heel and in the tarsal tunnel. There are a lot of bad things to say about the shots in the heel, though some people say otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't get a shot in the heel based on what I know. By contrast, the diagnostic and therapeutic benefits of a shot in the tarsal tunnel might outweigh any softening of the tissues there. I don't feel I am harmed, as far as I know, by the shots I had in the tarsal tunnel. However, they weren't necessary in my case so If I could go back now I might as well not have had them.

alan k

BarbaraJ on 2/16/00 at 00:00 (015945)

Sorry, Laurie--that's what I get for not really knowing what's being talked about and not reading all the messages! I am only speaking about shots in the heel as Alan says. I do believe though that any steroid shots anywhere can possibly cause harm and not just to the area being shot. But, having said that, I have taken the shot in the heel (which did nothing either way) and I recently was on a short program of prednisone (also a steroid) for a back problem. Have not really found the prednisone to be that helpful either. So, as always, we each have to make our own decisions based on too little knowledge (in my case anyway). I do understand your anxiety and wish you the best in your decision. I'm on your side!

Laurie R on 2/16/00 at 00:00 (015947)

Thank you Barbara,I do need people on my side .I think I am going to go ahead and try the cortisone shot tomarrow, today I had PT and my therapist still thinks that it will help me.He also says their is really nothing else at this point left to try.So he says go for it.I will let you all know if I get the shot,who knows I still might chicken out when I get to the doctors office.Laurie R