Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

primate and human feet

Posted by alan k on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015882)

I have spent alot of time around monkeys in Thailand, where in parts of the country they are sacred and get the run of the place, and it gets poopy. I speak fluent Thai and English and in either language none of them had ever heard of plantar fasciitis. My company will stand by this claim.

A word search on the site will prove to all doubters that I never brought up the issue of primate morphology or portrayed monkeys in a positive light at any time previous to the announcement of my product.**

I would like to see a study on humans who climb trees and branches with their bare feet and also those with no arms who use feet to write, eat, drive etc. Their feet develop far differently than yours or mine. The anthropological literature does not study this with an eye to therapy, but it seems to me to be an obvious direction to go in order to study the extremes of what is possible for human feet. Human feet are in fact very similar to primate feet at their 'core'-- in the bones. You know what I mean when you think about how surprising it is when you see a picture of the foot bones and see how long the digits really are. They extend all the way back to the middle of the arch. People who climb trees with bare feet and those without arms have re-integrated the neuro-muscule connections for those long digits: meaning they develop the musculature but also the mental capacity to be able to manipulate the musculature.

While I am using 'Footmonkey' as a catchy name, obviously, I am entirely serious about the relation of primate morphology to foot training. The fact that Mike W studied Qi Gong for 5 years may be a reason why he also developed an instrument that re-establishes a mental-muscle connection in the feet.

Exercises like towel crunches, picking up marbles, tracing the alphabet, pointing toes with legs out straight and making the soles face each other, are all great exercises for getting back in touch with your feet, strengthening and re-establishing their versatility.

alan k

** Ling Health takes no responsibility for statements heard or perceived to be heard when reading messages backward.

Re: primate and human feet

john h to alan k on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015891)

alan: i also spent 2 years in Thailand (Ubon, Nakon Phanom, Korat, and side trips to Bankok). What were you doing there?

alan k on 2/16/00 at 00:00 (015934)

I was doing anthropological research on among other things Buddhist meditation disciplines that incorporate visualizations of the body parts and organs as well as corpses. I also practice in this school of Buddhism. Part of what we do is a walking meditation, back and forth. I lost that now, obviously, and also yoga since all we do now is some simple things at home, not the all-out advanced things we used to do in a group before. A more advanced and accomplished practicioner than I would realize that this is just a higher and more challenging form of yoga now, but unfortunately I am not there yet.
I still want things to be the way they were before.

I do think once I get the systemic cause down I will be able to use my strategic yoga exercises and foot strengthener to get nearly or completely better.

alan k

john h to alan k on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015891)

alan: i also spent 2 years in Thailand (Ubon, Nakon Phanom, Korat, and side trips to Bankok). What were you doing there?

alan k on 2/16/00 at 00:00 (015934)

I was doing anthropological research on among other things Buddhist meditation disciplines that incorporate visualizations of the body parts and organs as well as corpses. I also practice in this school of Buddhism. Part of what we do is a walking meditation, back and forth. I lost that now, obviously, and also yoga since all we do now is some simple things at home, not the all-out advanced things we used to do in a group before. A more advanced and accomplished practicioner than I would realize that this is just a higher and more challenging form of yoga now, but unfortunately I am not there yet.
I still want things to be the way they were before.

I do think once I get the systemic cause down I will be able to use my strategic yoga exercises and foot strengthener to get nearly or completely better.

alan k