Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I agree with John A

Posted by Scott R on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015901)

I agree with John A: too much time in this message board is deifinitely bad for your feet!

Re: I agree with Helene

Robin B. on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015719)

It sounds like the prescribed stretching was way too aggressive for your foot. You probably have put some undue stress on the fascia, twisting it this way and that.

I know stretching is heralded as an agreed upon treatment in about 95% of all cases, so I guess I have to support all the traditional ones that seem to work for most people. But I am not a stretching person. I find my feet are best with the absolute minimum of stretching. I do a VERY mild calf stretch (the famous runners' lea-against-the-wall stretch)for about 15 seconds on each leg and that's it. No more. Strangely enough, my walking has increased to the point where I can actually do 3 miles at once time. I don't seem to be hurt by lack of it.

My general feeling about stretching is -- if it works for you, great. But there are a handful of people for whom stretching doesn't work. I am one. If I were in your shoes, I would rest and recline to get my feet back to point they were at prior to the aggressive stretching, and then perhaps seek another path. For myself, I do find that now that healing has begun, I approach any new methodology with great caution, being completely unwilling to risk the progress I have achieved thus far.

In the beginning when I was in horrendous pain, I had a somewhat cavalier attitude -- this or that can't make my situation any worse so why not try it? Believe me, I no longer have that attitude. There are tons of things that can make my situation worse, and I don't want to lose any of the healing or progress I have gained. Nancy, I know you have had great success with dietary changes. I'd have to suggest that you approach additional treatment modalities with caution and restraint and test them very carefully. If you can get back to the shape you were in prior to the osteopath's stretch, perhaps a different path might be called for. People on this board are probably sick of hearing me talk about bromelain -- but I swear by it. Have you tried it? I swallow a lot of it everyday and definitely see a benefit. To date, I have had no ill effects from it that I can identify. Whatever you decide to try next -- good luck and go sloooow with it.

Re: I agree with John A

john a on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015905)

:-)

And in the spirit of David Letterman's '10 reasons' lists:

'And the number one cause of chronic plantar fasciitis is ... Reading heelspurs.com!'

:-) :-)

I also just noticed that you made the 'reply to' button open a new window. Thanks!

Re: I agree with you Lucy. (EOM)

Kim B. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016739)

(EOM) means 'End of Message' :-)

Re: I agree with Helene

Robin B. on 2/11/00 at 00:00 (015719)

It sounds like the prescribed stretching was way too aggressive for your foot. You probably have put some undue stress on the fascia, twisting it this way and that.

I know stretching is heralded as an agreed upon treatment in about 95% of all cases, so I guess I have to support all the traditional ones that seem to work for most people. But I am not a stretching person. I find my feet are best with the absolute minimum of stretching. I do a VERY mild calf stretch (the famous runners' lea-against-the-wall stretch)for about 15 seconds on each leg and that's it. No more. Strangely enough, my walking has increased to the point where I can actually do 3 miles at once time. I don't seem to be hurt by lack of it.

My general feeling about stretching is -- if it works for you, great. But there are a handful of people for whom stretching doesn't work. I am one. If I were in your shoes, I would rest and recline to get my feet back to point they were at prior to the aggressive stretching, and then perhaps seek another path. For myself, I do find that now that healing has begun, I approach any new methodology with great caution, being completely unwilling to risk the progress I have achieved thus far.

In the beginning when I was in horrendous pain, I had a somewhat cavalier attitude -- this or that can't make my situation any worse so why not try it? Believe me, I no longer have that attitude. There are tons of things that can make my situation worse, and I don't want to lose any of the healing or progress I have gained. Nancy, I know you have had great success with dietary changes. I'd have to suggest that you approach additional treatment modalities with caution and restraint and test them very carefully. If you can get back to the shape you were in prior to the osteopath's stretch, perhaps a different path might be called for. People on this board are probably sick of hearing me talk about bromelain -- but I swear by it. Have you tried it? I swallow a lot of it everyday and definitely see a benefit. To date, I have had no ill effects from it that I can identify. Whatever you decide to try next -- good luck and go sloooow with it.

Re: I agree with John A

john a on 2/15/00 at 00:00 (015905)

:-)

And in the spirit of David Letterman's '10 reasons' lists:

'And the number one cause of chronic plantar fasciitis is ... Reading heelspurs.com!'

:-) :-)

I also just noticed that you made the 'reply to' button open a new window. Thanks!

Re: I agree with you Lucy. (EOM)

Kim B. on 3/02/00 at 00:00 (016739)

(EOM) means 'End of Message' :-)