Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Having a minor pity party

Posted by Nancy S. on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015950)

Hi everyone. Still in my setback of a little over a week ago, with no change. I'm resting more than usual, icing, and using the splint during the day to provide some stretch because i can't keep it on at night right now (is that 'can't' or 'won't,' I don't know which). I had stopped using cane as much but am using it more again, especially in the morning because I'm so afraid some tearing is happening with the pain. I havent gotten out yet to look at gel inserts tho I intend to; but we're due for a snowstorm tomorrow and Saturday. I did go swimming once this week. I thought it might help my foot and I was extra careful with it, but no change. Also, the whole middle of the pool has skylights overhead, and it was a warmer day that made roof snow melt, and the skylights leaked. So it was like raining on my head as I swam. This seemed appropriate.
My husband left for a month in Tibet on Tuesday -- he's been planning this for months and i encouraged him to still go. The next two days I 'cheated' a bit on the yeast killing diet. I suppose I considered this a reward -- for what, I don't know! It's not like I deserve a medal for anything! Except maybe for not chopping off my foot!
Well, this is sounding too grim for words. I apologize, I guess I'm just venting, as they say. I hope every one of you is having a better day than I am . . . --Nancy

Re: Having a minor pity party

salina on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015956)

I have been struggling with this for just three months. So I know I am in no position to give anyone advice. Although this seems like the longest three mos of my life, and getting longer since Iam not getting any better. The past two weeks, I thought I was doing good because I have worn my night splints every night all night, icing every day, and a little bit of stretching. But all I did yesterday was cook a decent meal for my family and that did me in. My feet felt just like they did when this started. Icing did not help, and my feet hurt too much to wear the splints. I am beginning to wonder if those darn things have helped at all.
I am thinking maybe the splints are better for someone who has the 'first morning' step pain in the heal. I don't have that, mine just feel a little sore all over, but every morning I feel good, like I will be able to do normal things that day, but NOT!!
I just feel stumped because I do not know what else to do.
I will probably want to try one of the things that allan thought of 'the footmonkey'. Maybe strengthening will help me more than all this stretching. I wll keep stretching, definately, I am just thinking out loud. I just thought I was getting somewhere.
Finding this board has helped my mental being so much. I am tired of my neighbors asking about my feet, and when I tell them its not better, they just give me a look. One lady even thinks I am acting so my husband has to do everything around the house and with the kids. I tell myself that they just don't understand. I didn't understand either. But this is really getting old.
I am trying to start this day off positive. I guess we will have sandwiches for dinner, huh? No more cooking for me this week.

Trish on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015969)

Hang in there, Nancy......we all have times like that. Maybe you can treat yourself to something (other than food not on the diet). Sometimes when I feel physically and emotionally bad, I treat myself to a full body massage. It is an hour of pure bliss!!!! I hope you feel better soon!

Nicole V.R. on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015977)

Dear Nancy,
I'm so sorry to hear of your set back. You seemed to be doing so well. Hang in there, I'm praying that you will feel better again soon!

salina on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015956)

I have been struggling with this for just three months. So I know I am in no position to give anyone advice. Although this seems like the longest three mos of my life, and getting longer since Iam not getting any better. The past two weeks, I thought I was doing good because I have worn my night splints every night all night, icing every day, and a little bit of stretching. But all I did yesterday was cook a decent meal for my family and that did me in. My feet felt just like they did when this started. Icing did not help, and my feet hurt too much to wear the splints. I am beginning to wonder if those darn things have helped at all.
I am thinking maybe the splints are better for someone who has the 'first morning' step pain in the heal. I don't have that, mine just feel a little sore all over, but every morning I feel good, like I will be able to do normal things that day, but NOT!!
I just feel stumped because I do not know what else to do.
I will probably want to try one of the things that allan thought of 'the footmonkey'. Maybe strengthening will help me more than all this stretching. I wll keep stretching, definately, I am just thinking out loud. I just thought I was getting somewhere.
Finding this board has helped my mental being so much. I am tired of my neighbors asking about my feet, and when I tell them its not better, they just give me a look. One lady even thinks I am acting so my husband has to do everything around the house and with the kids. I tell myself that they just don't understand. I didn't understand either. But this is really getting old.
I am trying to start this day off positive. I guess we will have sandwiches for dinner, huh? No more cooking for me this week.

Trish on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015969)

Hang in there, Nancy......we all have times like that. Maybe you can treat yourself to something (other than food not on the diet). Sometimes when I feel physically and emotionally bad, I treat myself to a full body massage. It is an hour of pure bliss!!!! I hope you feel better soon!

Nicole V.R. on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015977)

Dear Nancy,
I'm so sorry to hear of your set back. You seemed to be doing so well. Hang in there, I'm praying that you will feel better again soon!