Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: PF sufferers deserve ptiy parties

Posted by Robin B. on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015954)

Nancy, I was thinking of you over the weekend. Last Saturday was my 'overdo it' day -- by Saturday night I was in so much pain, it was just like old times.

Saturday morning I went up to Sarasota -- which I don't do often so, of course, while I was there I figured -- why not shop a little? Why indeed. I ended up cruising stores and malls and being on my feet for 5 to 6 hours, one of the more stupid moves of my recovery. By 4 p.m. when I finally rolled in the house, I was in agony. No amount of icing your feet can take away the pain of being on them for 6 hours when you shouldn't have been. And I should have known better.

I think one of the worst parts of any relapse is the fear that you have really stopped the recovery process cold in its tracks. It's especially tough when you are finally starting to make progress and to see a little improvement and then have a set-back. At least it was for me. Along with the foot pain was a mini-anxiety attack that was based on 'Ohmygod, I hope I'm not going to be in 24-hour-a-day pain like I used to be.' Like most people, I have had various illnesses and disorders in my life, but I dare say, plantar fasciitis is indeed one of the very worst -- simply because it's so pervasive and all-consuming. It's just always there. Others diseases and illnesses have been treated pretty successfully, but this one is a persistent little bugger that has pretty much ruled my life for nearly 2 years. I can only dream of the day when it's gone forever.

I think a condition like PF all but requires us to pamper ourselves whenever possible. A little present here, a little break from a strenuous dietary regime there, a little kindness somewhere else. And I don't think we should ever feel guilty for rewarding ourselves -- just getting through a month with a tough case of PF deserves a prize.

I CAN tell you that I my feet are almost back to where they were before I engaged in my 6-hour shopping extravaganza. But not quite. Like you, I have been resting and taking it easier than I normally would, and am trying to recapture the progress I had made. Stay with it. Mine was probably just extra inflammation, but yours may have easily been an aggravation of the tissue from all that twisting and stretching your did on your feet. It's probably just going to take an extra week or two for you to recoup the gains you had experienced. Meanwhile -- continue pampering and rewarding yourself. It's good for the soul.

Nancy S. on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015973)

Thank you Robin, and Trish and Violet. I just got back from a swim, which I had to really force myself to do -- it didn't fit in with today's theme! -- but I'm glad I did it. At least there's blood circulating somewhere. Also stopped for groceries. Banged into the meat counter with the scooter. One good thing about a bad day is that you don't care about these things. But the day is better than it started anyway because you all wrote. The house is so quiet.
Robin, that must have been a scary weekend. I'm glad you're almost recovered from it. Yes, maybe that fear that sets in -- 'This is the end of my recovery' -- is the worst part. It rules practically every minute; I might term it panic.
I'm going to keep resting and icing, except for short swims, until I see improvement again, which I hope is soon. Am also hoping the pancreatin will kick in. And instead of dwelling on my stupidity, I think you're right that I'll be better off if I treat myself well, and maybe to something special like a massage, Trish. I got one back when I'd had PF for only a couple of months, and it was wonderful. --Nancy

Nancy S. on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015973)

Thank you Robin, and Trish and Violet. I just got back from a swim, which I had to really force myself to do -- it didn't fit in with today's theme! -- but I'm glad I did it. At least there's blood circulating somewhere. Also stopped for groceries. Banged into the meat counter with the scooter. One good thing about a bad day is that you don't care about these things. But the day is better than it started anyway because you all wrote. The house is so quiet.
Robin, that must have been a scary weekend. I'm glad you're almost recovered from it. Yes, maybe that fear that sets in -- 'This is the end of my recovery' -- is the worst part. It rules practically every minute; I might term it panic.
I'm going to keep resting and icing, except for short swims, until I see improvement again, which I hope is soon. Am also hoping the pancreatin will kick in. And instead of dwelling on my stupidity, I think you're right that I'll be better off if I treat myself well, and maybe to something special like a massage, Trish. I got one back when I'd had PF for only a couple of months, and it was wonderful. --Nancy