Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cooking

Posted by wendyn on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015970)

Salina, cooking is really tough for me too. This is really frustrating because I used to really enjoy cooking and baking. Some suggestions from someone who's been at this a while.

-Sit whenever you can...you can sit on your floor and peel potatoes if you have to. Bring your cutting board in front of the TV and chop while you sit(watch your fingers and not the TV!) If I have to be at the stove or counter for any length of time, I use a bar stool. I make sure I have everything at arm's reach and then I plant myself for as long as possible.

-Accept help (and ask for it too). Even young children can help clear and set the table and run around helping to tidy up. It's a tough adjustment for everyone if you're used to being capable of everything - but you have to accept the fact that at least for now - you need some help.

-Look up some recipies on the net for easy to cook food. I can find the exact link if you need it, but if you go to about.com there is a whole section there for busy cooks. There is even one that's specifically for 'chronically ill or disabled'. The recipes are simple and don't require much prep time.

-Get extra help if you can. Not everyone can afford it - but if you can, consider getting some help with the housework so you have more energy for yourself and your kids.

This must be so hard for you with a small baby at home. I am often very grateful that I don't have small children to chase after (my youngest is almost 7). Did you consider getting a second opinion on your feet?

Re: Cooking

salina on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015971)

Thanks for the tips. Itis hard to get used to having to think before I do something. It is like having a budget to follow. I am getting better at it. The other day, I knew we were having soup and sandwiches for dinner, so I spent a 'little' while outside with my21month old and five yr old. Because I knew I was going to be able to rest more that night. I get depressed when I cannot get out. But our yard is not fenced in at the moment (hopefully will be shortly) so my little one takes off sometimes and there is no way Ican retrieve her. My older boys have to be home to go get her. By older, I mean 11 and 8. Boy, what I wouldn't do for a couple of teenagers right now. Helpful ones, of course. That could be a whole new set of problems. My baby is not walking yet, but that will change in a few months and I will probably lose my mind. Tomorrow, my husband is off work, so I am resting tonight so I can go to the store (ANY store) by myself. Then rest the entire day to recover. I am embarassed to say how much this has gotten me down. In the past two mos,, I have only went grocery shopping once. We went this weekend to the beach to watch the surfers (living in Hawaii right now), and it was wonderful. I needed to get out, but the pain was bad by that night.
Absolutely the worse is that we cannot let my 5yr old play Tball this year. I am at my lowest point on the mother scale. We know that hubby will be away for most of the season, and I just cannot deal with it myself with this PF. So I am in a mood today because of this decision. But I know I have to do everything I can to rest and get better.
Having little ones is no picnic but I guess it would be hard trying to go to work every day also. My husband helps do so much. But when he took leave from work and did everything for two weeks, and it didn't help, it made me think that resting is not the answer for me either. Don't know what is yet.
I wish I understood why I can actually walk more comfortable than I can just stand around. Standing still is the worst.
I am rambling again. Will sign off. thanks again for the tips.

Trish on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015975)

Have you tried Birkenstocks? Standing is the worst for me, too, and I don't think I could stand at all if it weren't for birks. I still have lots of pain, but on a 'good' day I can stand and do kitchen stuff for maybe 10 or 15 minutes in my birks. Good luck to you!

salina on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015971)

Thanks for the tips. Itis hard to get used to having to think before I do something. It is like having a budget to follow. I am getting better at it. The other day, I knew we were having soup and sandwiches for dinner, so I spent a 'little' while outside with my21month old and five yr old. Because I knew I was going to be able to rest more that night. I get depressed when I cannot get out. But our yard is not fenced in at the moment (hopefully will be shortly) so my little one takes off sometimes and there is no way Ican retrieve her. My older boys have to be home to go get her. By older, I mean 11 and 8. Boy, what I wouldn't do for a couple of teenagers right now. Helpful ones, of course. That could be a whole new set of problems. My baby is not walking yet, but that will change in a few months and I will probably lose my mind. Tomorrow, my husband is off work, so I am resting tonight so I can go to the store (ANY store) by myself. Then rest the entire day to recover. I am embarassed to say how much this has gotten me down. In the past two mos,, I have only went grocery shopping once. We went this weekend to the beach to watch the surfers (living in Hawaii right now), and it was wonderful. I needed to get out, but the pain was bad by that night.
Absolutely the worse is that we cannot let my 5yr old play Tball this year. I am at my lowest point on the mother scale. We know that hubby will be away for most of the season, and I just cannot deal with it myself with this PF. So I am in a mood today because of this decision. But I know I have to do everything I can to rest and get better.
Having little ones is no picnic but I guess it would be hard trying to go to work every day also. My husband helps do so much. But when he took leave from work and did everything for two weeks, and it didn't help, it made me think that resting is not the answer for me either. Don't know what is yet.
I wish I understood why I can actually walk more comfortable than I can just stand around. Standing still is the worst.
I am rambling again. Will sign off. thanks again for the tips.

Trish on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015975)

Have you tried Birkenstocks? Standing is the worst for me, too, and I don't think I could stand at all if it weren't for birks. I still have lots of pain, but on a 'good' day I can stand and do kitchen stuff for maybe 10 or 15 minutes in my birks. Good luck to you!