Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ladies-Menstrual cycles and PF pain?

Posted by Lori S on 2/17/00 at 00:00 (015979)

Hi all! Hasn't this been discussed before? I think so. But, ladies, do you notice more PF pain/soreness around your period? This past week has been a bit rough for me, especially since I've been doing so well since the surgery. It will be 40 weeks post op on Monday. For the past week or so, I've been having more than normal soreness in both feet, ankles, and the tops of my feet. I've had more than normal period cramps this week as well and wondered if there's a possible connection? Still able to walk about 2 miles with my dogs each day and am on my feet as a teacher all day long, but the evenings find my poor feet pretty sore.
Lori in AZ

Re: Ladies-Menstrual cycles and PF pain?

Helene M on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (015995)

I've often noticed that my feet hurt more at that time of the month. I've suspected a relationship between the two but then again, I was thinking it could also just be a coincidence. I'm not sure. Perhaps something hormonal? If so maybe I'll be cured after menopause!

wendyn on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (015996)

Two thoughts on this...

First, I believe this has come up before - several months ago. You may want to do a search and check. It may not be completed related to your question, but it's worth checking out.

Second...one potential connection could be water retention? Who knows, maybe if some women retain water, and the additional fluid puts added pressure and swelling in their feet.....I suppose anything is possible. If it can happen during pregnancy- then I would have to guess it might not be your imagination.

BarbaraJ on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016003)

Funny, you should mention this. I am 54 and definitely have 'bouts' of pain associated with the times when I have no estrogen level recorded in my blood. Because I have noticed this over the past 2 years I recently (2 days ago) started on the prempro progam of estrogen and progesterin. I will let you know if I see any improvement from my recent pf pain 'relapse.' Has anyone heard of any studies related to pain and estrogen levels? I also experience more pain in all my joints and my back at times of no estrogen. I definitely believe there is a relationship.

salina on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016005)

I am a big HORMONE. I bet it does at least aggravate the problem.
My back goes out on me about once a year. So I have learned to watch for signs of it becoming strained.And during PMS time I actually have to be extremely careful of what I do because it acts up then.
mind you, I am not claiming my back problem was caused by PMS. Although...just kidding. But I am going to pay attention to the PF during these times, and make sure I take it especially easy. I think my joints and muscles in general are weaker during the hormomal time. Are the men shaking their heads yet? Hey, you guys could have a little hormonal thing going on too and just don'tknow it. Just a thought.

Jennh on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016017)

This week for me was more painful for me also. My period seems to coincide with the full moon. Ironic don't you think. Anyways, after my second ossatron, I have pretty much been pain free. However, this week was pretty rough, soreness on the heel, aches and pains in all my joints. So I would say that yes, this week, my period has something to do with the pain.

Jenn

Nancy S. on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016020)

I guess you can't go by me: I have to wolf down so many Motrin for cramps that I think my foot feels better at that time! Too bad stomachs aren't equipped to handle that much Motrin all the time -- I'd be flying high, with no PF. --Nancy

Patricia on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017161)

thats weird but I have noticed when I flood the most my PF gets some better. was thinking there might be a connected maybe nerve pressure are ?

Helene M on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (015995)

I've often noticed that my feet hurt more at that time of the month. I've suspected a relationship between the two but then again, I was thinking it could also just be a coincidence. I'm not sure. Perhaps something hormonal? If so maybe I'll be cured after menopause!

wendyn on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (015996)

Two thoughts on this...

First, I believe this has come up before - several months ago. You may want to do a search and check. It may not be completed related to your question, but it's worth checking out.

Second...one potential connection could be water retention? Who knows, maybe if some women retain water, and the additional fluid puts added pressure and swelling in their feet.....I suppose anything is possible. If it can happen during pregnancy- then I would have to guess it might not be your imagination.

BarbaraJ on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016003)

Funny, you should mention this. I am 54 and definitely have 'bouts' of pain associated with the times when I have no estrogen level recorded in my blood. Because I have noticed this over the past 2 years I recently (2 days ago) started on the prempro progam of estrogen and progesterin. I will let you know if I see any improvement from my recent pf pain 'relapse.' Has anyone heard of any studies related to pain and estrogen levels? I also experience more pain in all my joints and my back at times of no estrogen. I definitely believe there is a relationship.

salina on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016005)

I am a big HORMONE. I bet it does at least aggravate the problem.
My back goes out on me about once a year. So I have learned to watch for signs of it becoming strained.And during PMS time I actually have to be extremely careful of what I do because it acts up then.
mind you, I am not claiming my back problem was caused by PMS. Although...just kidding. But I am going to pay attention to the PF during these times, and make sure I take it especially easy. I think my joints and muscles in general are weaker during the hormomal time. Are the men shaking their heads yet? Hey, you guys could have a little hormonal thing going on too and just don'tknow it. Just a thought.

Jennh on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016017)

This week for me was more painful for me also. My period seems to coincide with the full moon. Ironic don't you think. Anyways, after my second ossatron, I have pretty much been pain free. However, this week was pretty rough, soreness on the heel, aches and pains in all my joints. So I would say that yes, this week, my period has something to do with the pain.

Jenn

Nancy S. on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016020)

I guess you can't go by me: I have to wolf down so many Motrin for cramps that I think my foot feels better at that time! Too bad stomachs aren't equipped to handle that much Motrin all the time -- I'd be flying high, with no PF. --Nancy

Patricia on 3/12/00 at 00:00 (017161)

thats weird but I have noticed when I flood the most my PF gets some better. was thinking there might be a connected maybe nerve pressure are ?