Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I did have the cortisone shot and I was pain free for 4 hours.....

Posted by Laurie R on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016001)

Hi to all,First of all I would like to thank ,Wendy,Alan,Rick,Alison,Robin,Barbar J,dang dave,Vicki J the reason is you all took the time out of your own pain to make me feel better about getting the cortisone shot.This might sound funny but it was like you all were their with me yesterday in the doctors office,ever though I was their by my self.

My podiatrist went over the results of my EMG and I do have TTS.I also told him I didn't care for the Neurologist who gave me the EMG test.I did ask my Pod why didn't the Neurologist numb my foot before he put thoes needles in my foot,he said every doctor is different but he would of.

So my podiatrist said the next step would be a cortisone shot but he did say if I wasn't comfortable with it he would not do it,so I went back in forth in my mind should I or shouldn't I so I told him lets do it I really have nothing to lose.He did explain step by step before he injected me.He keep saying he needed to put anesthetic in my foot so I asked are you going to put cortisone also and he said yes they are both in one shot.So what he did was he sprayed this freeze stuff on my foot to numb it,than as he was putting the needle in he kept spraying that stuff well I will tell you that it worked I felt nothing no needle no pain and I asked him are you done and it was all over. My foot felt so good it was so numb I had no pain for 4hours than it all came back.He said sometimes it can take up to 48 hours to see if it is going to work.He put in the TTS region right under the ankle bone.He did also say I might need other one in 2 weeks I said ok .I just wish it would of lasted longer.And yes I will try again because nothing else has worked so far and I don't want to give up.

He also gave me a night splint and he is changing my walking cast to a air cast.He had to order the air cast.Has anyone ever had a air cast???If so can you tell me a little bit about it.Or does any one know of a site where I can see a picture of one.

The good thing about the shot I was pain free for 4 hours thats a first for me in 8 months.So it was so worth it.Thanks again to all for helping me throw this and for listening.

Laurie R

Re: I did have the cortisone shot and I was pain free for 4 hours.....

salina on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016006)

Glad to hear the shot was not painful. I am so scared of ever getting cortozone shots. I bet it felt like heaven to be out of pain.
Does the doc think it will be even more beneficial with the next one?
Some people say their shot was soooo painful. Do you think yours went better because of something the doctor did, or just your pain threshold? Best wishes to you.

Re: I did have the cortisone shot and I was pain free for 4 hours.. RE Salina ..

Laurie R on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016007)

Hi Salina,Thanks for your kind words.I used to have a high threshold for pain but I will tell you ever since this all started 8 months ago I must have a low threshold for pain because I am always in pain. I think the reason it went so well was my podiatrist sprayed this stuff on my foot to numb it before he put the shot in my ankle and he continued to spay it why he was injecting me so I think that had alot to do with it.I am just glad it is over,but I will tell you I will have no problems the next time because I know what to expect.
Thanks Salina,I hope you are having a better day pain wise,hang in their .If you ever want to e-mail me just to talk about our wonderful feet let me know and I will give you my address......

Laurie R

alan k on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016009)

Salina,

Laurie is getting the shot for tts and if you were to get a shot it would be different for you, so you would have to speak to pf shot recievers rather than a tts one like Laurie to get info about how it would be for you.

alan k

Rick R on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016011)

Laurie,

I'm glad to hear things went well. Keep us posted as you progress through the next couple of days.

salina on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016015)

Thanks. It is all so confusing. There seems to be so many different things that can go wrong with our feet. I have been trying to read some of the older messages so I can better understand what some of the PF sufferers(for lack of better term) have been going through. So much pain!!!

salina on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016016)

I read a link about TTS written by wendyn I think. It was very informative.

Re: I did have the cortisone shot and I was pain free for 4 hours.. RE Alan ..

Laurie R on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016019)

Hi Alan ,I have a few question for you.I forgot when you got your shots where did you get them? I know you said you got one in the TT.Did the one for PF hurt? Also are you going on the 21st to Canada? And how are you doing pain wise? Sorry for all the question I just like to keep up with people I have been talking to and you have helped me so much . Laurie R

Barbara B. on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016284)

Just got my first shot for PF this morning. Nearly 12 hours and I'm still numb in the center of my heal (note: they also taped me this morning). VERY little pain (twinge on initial step only).

I've been dealing with PF for about a year now - saw much relief with nsaids and stretching, but not total relief. This was diagnosed and being treated by my primary dr. When I mentioned I cannot wear 'real shoes' and still have some pain (even though it's a lot less), the dr. recommended a podiatrist. I was nervous about the shot, too and waited for my second visit to give in. We're moving forward agressively with non-surgical options. Hopefully that will be enough!

salina on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016006)

Glad to hear the shot was not painful. I am so scared of ever getting cortozone shots. I bet it felt like heaven to be out of pain.
Does the doc think it will be even more beneficial with the next one?
Some people say their shot was soooo painful. Do you think yours went better because of something the doctor did, or just your pain threshold? Best wishes to you.

Re: I did have the cortisone shot and I was pain free for 4 hours.. RE Salina ..

Laurie R on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016007)

Hi Salina,Thanks for your kind words.I used to have a high threshold for pain but I will tell you ever since this all started 8 months ago I must have a low threshold for pain because I am always in pain. I think the reason it went so well was my podiatrist sprayed this stuff on my foot to numb it before he put the shot in my ankle and he continued to spay it why he was injecting me so I think that had alot to do with it.I am just glad it is over,but I will tell you I will have no problems the next time because I know what to expect.
Thanks Salina,I hope you are having a better day pain wise,hang in their .If you ever want to e-mail me just to talk about our wonderful feet let me know and I will give you my address......

Laurie R

alan k on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016009)

Salina,

Laurie is getting the shot for tts and if you were to get a shot it would be different for you, so you would have to speak to pf shot recievers rather than a tts one like Laurie to get info about how it would be for you.

alan k

Rick R on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016011)

Laurie,

I'm glad to hear things went well. Keep us posted as you progress through the next couple of days.

salina on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016015)

Thanks. It is all so confusing. There seems to be so many different things that can go wrong with our feet. I have been trying to read some of the older messages so I can better understand what some of the PF sufferers(for lack of better term) have been going through. So much pain!!!

salina on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016016)

I read a link about TTS written by wendyn I think. It was very informative.

Re: I did have the cortisone shot and I was pain free for 4 hours.. RE Alan ..

Laurie R on 2/18/00 at 00:00 (016019)

Hi Alan ,I have a few question for you.I forgot when you got your shots where did you get them? I know you said you got one in the TT.Did the one for PF hurt? Also are you going on the 21st to Canada? And how are you doing pain wise? Sorry for all the question I just like to keep up with people I have been talking to and you have helped me so much . Laurie R

Barbara B. on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016284)

Just got my first shot for PF this morning. Nearly 12 hours and I'm still numb in the center of my heal (note: they also taped me this morning). VERY little pain (twinge on initial step only).

I've been dealing with PF for about a year now - saw much relief with nsaids and stretching, but not total relief. This was diagnosed and being treated by my primary dr. When I mentioned I cannot wear 'real shoes' and still have some pain (even though it's a lot less), the dr. recommended a podiatrist. I was nervous about the shot, too and waited for my second visit to give in. We're moving forward agressively with non-surgical options. Hopefully that will be enough!