Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

get rest

Posted by alan k on 2/19/00 at 00:00 (016038)

You might consider the strong anecdotal evidence on this site which suggests that the reduced running your podiatrist has recommended falls far short of what you need. You might try radical rest therapy for several weeks, combined with anti-inflammatories and foot stretching/strengthening exersizes, preferably all of which should be done without weight bearing. The course he has you on could lead to long-term or permanent foot pain and the loss of the sport which I imagine you love.

There are plenty of us here who persisted in their activities and wound up broken. I, like you perhaps, did it to myself while under the supervision of a medical professional. Others just didn't seek help soon enough.

GET A SECOND OPINION!!!

alan k

Re: get rest

Barbb on 2/19/00 at 00:00 (016039)

Actually Alan...the Dr. did say to not run at all.....but I told him that was almost next to impossible....so I really cut it down ALOT...I do love running (you are right)......I guess I am going to have to be one of those people who learn the HARD way.....my PF isnt all that bad.....I could live with this little pain if I had too....but I would prefer not too........we will see what happens....Barbb

alan k on 2/19/00 at 00:00 (016040)

Barb maybe you might try reading way back on the message board to see what kind of fire you are playing with. I hate to see anyone have to change their life the way I have. When this started for me, I couldn't accept the idea of missing a week of training (yoga). Now it is 10 months. I hope you can see your way to missing out on some little training rather than losing everything. Pf can start slow and mild and grow and grow, sometimes suddenly taking off.

At least, a dedicated athelete like you can do the increased stretching and strengthening regimen. Remember that runners underdevelop the muscles of the top of the foot and front of the shin and thigh, in relation to the well developed muscles in the back of the leg that afford the treading motion of running. You might try to devise ways to exersize the top foot muscles (flexing against a controlled resistance you push against the top of your foot-- perhaps a broom) or get the Personal Foot Trainer as posted a few days ago.

good luck,
alan k

Barbb on 2/19/00 at 00:00 (016043)

I know Alan.......I am a thick head when it comes to working out...hopefully it wont come to that (not doing anything).
I was seriously thinking of buying the PFT...I was doing some reading about that.....I do stretches but not often enough I must say......I also ice it 2-3 times a day....sometimes I think the stretching makes it worse and then I stop....have a good day....Barbb

Barbb on 2/19/00 at 00:00 (016039)

Actually Alan...the Dr. did say to not run at all.....but I told him that was almost next to impossible....so I really cut it down ALOT...I do love running (you are right)......I guess I am going to have to be one of those people who learn the HARD way.....my PF isnt all that bad.....I could live with this little pain if I had too....but I would prefer not too........we will see what happens....Barbb

alan k on 2/19/00 at 00:00 (016040)

Barb maybe you might try reading way back on the message board to see what kind of fire you are playing with. I hate to see anyone have to change their life the way I have. When this started for me, I couldn't accept the idea of missing a week of training (yoga). Now it is 10 months. I hope you can see your way to missing out on some little training rather than losing everything. Pf can start slow and mild and grow and grow, sometimes suddenly taking off.

At least, a dedicated athelete like you can do the increased stretching and strengthening regimen. Remember that runners underdevelop the muscles of the top of the foot and front of the shin and thigh, in relation to the well developed muscles in the back of the leg that afford the treading motion of running. You might try to devise ways to exersize the top foot muscles (flexing against a controlled resistance you push against the top of your foot-- perhaps a broom) or get the Personal Foot Trainer as posted a few days ago.

good luck,
alan k

Barbb on 2/19/00 at 00:00 (016043)

I know Alan.......I am a thick head when it comes to working out...hopefully it wont come to that (not doing anything).
I was seriously thinking of buying the PFT...I was doing some reading about that.....I do stretches but not often enough I must say......I also ice it 2-3 times a day....sometimes I think the stretching makes it worse and then I stop....have a good day....Barbb