Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Attitude, and do you want more back exercises?

Posted by alan k on 2/20/00 at 00:00 (016077)

Hi Wendy,

I certainly understand your caution in talking about 'progress.' A lack of expectations is, for those of you newer to this, one of the best coping mechanisms. It has to be mixed with a schizophrenic dual personality which is full of hope and actively seeking answers and treatment.

I can recommend more back exercises from yoga (the one you described is not anywhere near enough), but of course you would need to check them out with your doctors since although I know what is not enough I can't say for sure what is too much or wrong. I am 90% sure that anything I recommended would be okay with them.

alan k

Re: Attitude, and do you want more back exercises?

wendyn on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016181)

Thanks for your offer Alan. I have other exercises that I've been given along the way, both from PT and from Yoga. I don't want to put you to the trouble of listing a bunch out...it's so much easier to show someone a stretch than it is to try to explain it in writing.

I am never very good at doing my stretches, I do some but it tends to only be the ones that I like doing (kind of like sit ups..I only do them when I force myself to because I hate them).

My PT thinks that I should have an MRI done of my lower spine. Last I heard, the wait for an MRI here was up to a year, unless I want to fork out $1500.00 to pay myself to have it done right away (hey..MikeW...who says we don't already have a two tiered health care system?!?!?).

No one is too sure what is wrong with my back, only that it doesn't move properly in some spots that it should...and it moves more than it should in other spots (no, I don't understand how they determine that).

Re: Attitude, and do you want more back exercises?

wendyn on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016181)

Thanks for your offer Alan. I have other exercises that I've been given along the way, both from PT and from Yoga. I don't want to put you to the trouble of listing a bunch out...it's so much easier to show someone a stretch than it is to try to explain it in writing.

I am never very good at doing my stretches, I do some but it tends to only be the ones that I like doing (kind of like sit ups..I only do them when I force myself to because I hate them).

My PT thinks that I should have an MRI done of my lower spine. Last I heard, the wait for an MRI here was up to a year, unless I want to fork out $1500.00 to pay myself to have it done right away (hey..MikeW...who says we don't already have a two tiered health care system?!?!?).

No one is too sure what is wrong with my back, only that it doesn't move properly in some spots that it should...and it moves more than it should in other spots (no, I don't understand how they determine that).