Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr. zuckerman/MRI beneficial?

Posted by Jane B. on 2/20/00 at 00:00 (016103)

I am 4 years post op with pain all over entire feet since surgery (did'nt have before surgery) including typical pf pain with walks in mall/etc. Would an MRI be beneficial to tell me what is going on in there? Soft tissue problems, scar tissue etc.

Re: Dr. zuckerman/MRI beneficial?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/20/00 at 00:00 (016119)

I would do a three phase bone scan, if i could find out anything with
my examination and your history. This is one of the problems when you cut the pf. You can get pain all over the foot and each day the area can be different. There isn't much that can be done for this if the problem is all over the foot. Most of the time it is in the calcaneal -cuboid joint and or the navicular joint. You need to find a doctor that an keen interest in biomechanics of the human foot.

lenore r on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016146)

what do you look for with a three phase bone scan?? i had one and it came back hot on all three phases what does this mean???

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016225)

A bone scan measures the amount of blood flow to the area in question.
Which is very non-specific. The history and physical in conjunction help the doctor make a dx. So let say you have a sof tissue infection and the doctor does a bone scan that is position or what they call hot
in all of the blood pooling phases. This is a very good indication that there is a bone infection. The definition of a bone infectcion is imflamation of the bone caused by bacteria. In the case of heel pain, that is postion on three phases , and thee is no signs of infecction , the cause is usually a stress fracture. An MRI is the standard for evaluating bone fracture infecction but a position bone scan with pain in this area is a very good indication of fracture.

There are between 5-10 percent false positive and negative bone scans.
So in the report it always states please correlate the findings with the clinical picture. So inclusion position threee phase bone scan without any clinical signs of infection and there is pain or history of recent trauma excluding any kind of surgery means that there is an excellent chance that you have a stress fracture .

lenore r on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016262)

thanks for the information. i had a three phase and it came back hot but the doctor didnt seem to concerned about it. said cause i hadnt had an open wound that he didnt feel it was an infection.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/20/00 at 00:00 (016119)

I would do a three phase bone scan, if i could find out anything with
my examination and your history. This is one of the problems when you cut the pf. You can get pain all over the foot and each day the area can be different. There isn't much that can be done for this if the problem is all over the foot. Most of the time it is in the calcaneal -cuboid joint and or the navicular joint. You need to find a doctor that an keen interest in biomechanics of the human foot.

lenore r on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016146)

what do you look for with a three phase bone scan?? i had one and it came back hot on all three phases what does this mean???

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016225)

A bone scan measures the amount of blood flow to the area in question.
Which is very non-specific. The history and physical in conjunction help the doctor make a dx. So let say you have a sof tissue infection and the doctor does a bone scan that is position or what they call hot
in all of the blood pooling phases. This is a very good indication that there is a bone infection. The definition of a bone infectcion is imflamation of the bone caused by bacteria. In the case of heel pain, that is postion on three phases , and thee is no signs of infecction , the cause is usually a stress fracture. An MRI is the standard for evaluating bone fracture infecction but a position bone scan with pain in this area is a very good indication of fracture.

There are between 5-10 percent false positive and negative bone scans.
So in the report it always states please correlate the findings with the clinical picture. So inclusion position threee phase bone scan without any clinical signs of infection and there is pain or history of recent trauma excluding any kind of surgery means that there is an excellent chance that you have a stress fracture .

lenore r on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016262)

thanks for the information. i had a three phase and it came back hot but the doctor didnt seem to concerned about it. said cause i hadnt had an open wound that he didnt feel it was an infection.