Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Note worthy information to add

Posted by Kim B. on 2/20/00 at 00:00 (016118)

Kathy that is great news. However, I tried Celebrex and found that for me, it caused stomach upset. I am one of many people who suffer from IBS (irratable bowel syndrome). The is another new anti-inmfammatory prescription drug that works well too, with out the stomach upset (for me), it is called Vioxx. Good luck, and I wish you continued success!

Re: Note worthy information to add /// another IBD sufferer

Elise M. on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016123)

Hi Kim,
I have always gotten encouragement from this board and hearing that someone besides myself has IBD was once again encouraging. I have stopped taking all the anti-inflammatory drugs because of the IBD and have pretty much been painfree. I had to go back on Azulfidine for the bowel problem along with Imodium and Donnatal. I'm glad to report that my feet are the least of my problems now which is why I haven't posted anything about feet in a long while. I found that rest, stretching(doing the alphabet and toe-rolls before climbing out of bed) heat were my best friends along with arch supports,gel heel pads and New Balance running shoes 877. I have been able to take my dog for long walks recently and my feet actually tolerated pushing the snowblower for long periods of time, uphill and all.....so I guess my PF is finally under control. It's not completely gone and I have days when I'm reminded that it's still there, but on a scale of 1-10, it's a 1 most days. RSVP.....Feel better........Elise

Kim B. on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016133)

Hi Elise,
I'm glad my tummy troubles cheer you up :) hheh just kidding, if we don't laugh about it we'll cry, right? I rely mainly on Donnatol for accute attacks, and Prilosec 20 daily which help keep the upper part of my digestive tract from spasaming, which aids the lower part in a preventative kind of way. I have never heard of Azulfidine, I'll have to look it up sometime. Take care! Kim

Elise M. on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016135)

Hi Kim,
Thanks for responding. I didn't mean that you're tummy troubles make me smile, having it doesn't make me smile very much. Azulfidine is old time medicine I took years ago for ulcerative colitis. When it reared it's ugly head again, some thirty years later, I convinced my doc that it worked well the first time, it should work again, which it has. I should consider some Prilosec at this point because the IBD is affecting my digestion as well. Tough to get old at such a young age. I remain unphased though, convinced I will get over this and the PF. Any more initials added to my life and I'll almost complete the alphabet........Feel better!!! Elise

john a on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016148)

I too have ulcerative colitis that I keep under control with sulfasalazine (the generic form of Azulfidine). This has been going on for the past 8 years. Unfortunately, whenever I try to stop taking it, I relapse. Luckily though, a very low dose (500 mg every other day) is all it takes for me to keep the UC at bay. Which is a good thing, because running to the bathroom is much less fun when you have PF :-)

I posted in the past, as have others, about a possible connection between PF and digestive disorders. And/or between PF and long-term use of sulfa drugs (of which azulfidine is one). And/or between various muscle/joint pain symptoms and IBD/UC/Crohn's Disease/long term use of sulfa drugs. I am still strongly suspicious of a connection.

Sulfasalazine, by the way, is made up of 5-ASA, the active ingredient in a sulfa-based carrier. It has both anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory properties, with the 5-ASA giving most of the benefit (for IBD at least), and the sulfa most of the side effects. This is why I am going to try another 5-ASA drug, Asacol, that eliminates the sulfa component.

Sulfasalazine is also used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.

Hmmm, another thought I had is that chronic use of anti-inflammatories may hinder the body's ability to repair its muscles tendons and ligaments, which may be a big part of my problem.

Barbb on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016153)

Kim..what are the alphabet and toe roll ups???
thanks....Barbb

Elise M. on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016123)

Hi Kim,
I have always gotten encouragement from this board and hearing that someone besides myself has IBD was once again encouraging. I have stopped taking all the anti-inflammatory drugs because of the IBD and have pretty much been painfree. I had to go back on Azulfidine for the bowel problem along with Imodium and Donnatal. I'm glad to report that my feet are the least of my problems now which is why I haven't posted anything about feet in a long while. I found that rest, stretching(doing the alphabet and toe-rolls before climbing out of bed) heat were my best friends along with arch supports,gel heel pads and New Balance running shoes 877. I have been able to take my dog for long walks recently and my feet actually tolerated pushing the snowblower for long periods of time, uphill and all.....so I guess my PF is finally under control. It's not completely gone and I have days when I'm reminded that it's still there, but on a scale of 1-10, it's a 1 most days. RSVP.....Feel better........Elise

Kim B. on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016133)

Hi Elise,
I'm glad my tummy troubles cheer you up :) hheh just kidding, if we don't laugh about it we'll cry, right? I rely mainly on Donnatol for accute attacks, and Prilosec 20 daily which help keep the upper part of my digestive tract from spasaming, which aids the lower part in a preventative kind of way. I have never heard of Azulfidine, I'll have to look it up sometime. Take care! Kim

Elise M. on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016135)

Hi Kim,
Thanks for responding. I didn't mean that you're tummy troubles make me smile, having it doesn't make me smile very much. Azulfidine is old time medicine I took years ago for ulcerative colitis. When it reared it's ugly head again, some thirty years later, I convinced my doc that it worked well the first time, it should work again, which it has. I should consider some Prilosec at this point because the IBD is affecting my digestion as well. Tough to get old at such a young age. I remain unphased though, convinced I will get over this and the PF. Any more initials added to my life and I'll almost complete the alphabet........Feel better!!! Elise

john a on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016148)

I too have ulcerative colitis that I keep under control with sulfasalazine (the generic form of Azulfidine). This has been going on for the past 8 years. Unfortunately, whenever I try to stop taking it, I relapse. Luckily though, a very low dose (500 mg every other day) is all it takes for me to keep the UC at bay. Which is a good thing, because running to the bathroom is much less fun when you have PF :-)

I posted in the past, as have others, about a possible connection between PF and digestive disorders. And/or between PF and long-term use of sulfa drugs (of which azulfidine is one). And/or between various muscle/joint pain symptoms and IBD/UC/Crohn's Disease/long term use of sulfa drugs. I am still strongly suspicious of a connection.

Sulfasalazine, by the way, is made up of 5-ASA, the active ingredient in a sulfa-based carrier. It has both anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory properties, with the 5-ASA giving most of the benefit (for IBD at least), and the sulfa most of the side effects. This is why I am going to try another 5-ASA drug, Asacol, that eliminates the sulfa component.

Sulfasalazine is also used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.

Hmmm, another thought I had is that chronic use of anti-inflammatories may hinder the body's ability to repair its muscles tendons and ligaments, which may be a big part of my problem.

Barbb on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016153)

Kim..what are the alphabet and toe roll ups???
thanks....Barbb