Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Any experience with TTS?

Posted by Pat on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016120)

And can anyone explain to me what it is better than my Dr.? He said I may have it, and that my extremely flat arches
may be what's causing it. However, he didn't explain exactly what it is or exactly why i have it. Anybody?
Thanks

Re: Any experience with TTS?

wendyn on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016137)

Good morning Pat. I'll give you an answer in a nutshell - but I strongly suggest you do a search on this board for TTS and you will find pages and pages of posts about it and our experiences with it.

Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome is a compression of the posterior tibial nerve or one of it's branches, ocurring in the Tarsal Tunnel. The tunnel is located on your inner ankle, just behind the bone and it's made up of a tough band of fibre on the outside (flexor retinaculum) and bone on the inside. Anything that causes increased pressure in the tunnel can cause compression on the nerve.

Symptoms include pain in this area, pain that is worse on activity or with standing and is relieved some by rest. Tinnel's sign (if you tap the spot it can cause shock sensations into your feet or up your leg). Some people have burning, tingling, numbness and/or a pins or needles feeling. The pain is not always the same and it is not always in the same spot. I have swelling, many people with it do not.

Conservative treatments are similar to other problems like PF, ice - anti-inflammitories, rest, orthotics. You will never push through the pain if you have this, and unlike the controversery over pushing through pain with PF, I'll bet my better foot that if you have this and you try to push through the pain...you will end up causing yourself a lot of grief. Nerves do not appreciate being aggravated further.

If all else fails, surgery can be done - but whether or not it is successful depends on what's causing the problem in the first place. It can be caused by flat feet, arthritis, benign cysts, varicose veins, trauma and sometimes the cause just isn't known.

If any of you care, I have read so much about this - this little jot of information was all from memory.

I could write a book, 1001 Things I Never Wanted to Know about the Anatomy and Structure of the Human Foot, and Some Rare Condition Known as TTS.

Re: Any experience with TTS?re Wendy

Laurie R on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016139)

WOW!!!!!!You explained this to the T.Tou know Wendy there is something thats real sad about it,I have all the symptoms you wrote.You are also so right about Nerves don't like being aggravated.I know I must keep doing something to cause these nerves to get aggravated.

After I had my cortisone shot the next day I had PT and when I got their my therapist said my podiatrist called him and said don't do to much with Laurie's foot today because of all the pain I was in and he wanted to see if the shot was going to work,so we took it slow.I feel at this point that therapy is not working but I love the deep tissue massages.My therapist always tells me you only come here for the massage and I say yes.

Wendy thank you again for helping me and everyone else with your knowledge.I apprecite it,thats why I made the comment the other day about it was like taking all of you with me to my doctors appointment.

Have a wonderful day Laurie R

Re: Any experience with TTS?

wendyn on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016137)

Good morning Pat. I'll give you an answer in a nutshell - but I strongly suggest you do a search on this board for TTS and you will find pages and pages of posts about it and our experiences with it.

Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome is a compression of the posterior tibial nerve or one of it's branches, ocurring in the Tarsal Tunnel. The tunnel is located on your inner ankle, just behind the bone and it's made up of a tough band of fibre on the outside (flexor retinaculum) and bone on the inside. Anything that causes increased pressure in the tunnel can cause compression on the nerve.

Symptoms include pain in this area, pain that is worse on activity or with standing and is relieved some by rest. Tinnel's sign (if you tap the spot it can cause shock sensations into your feet or up your leg). Some people have burning, tingling, numbness and/or a pins or needles feeling. The pain is not always the same and it is not always in the same spot. I have swelling, many people with it do not.

Conservative treatments are similar to other problems like PF, ice - anti-inflammitories, rest, orthotics. You will never push through the pain if you have this, and unlike the controversery over pushing through pain with PF, I'll bet my better foot that if you have this and you try to push through the pain...you will end up causing yourself a lot of grief. Nerves do not appreciate being aggravated further.

If all else fails, surgery can be done - but whether or not it is successful depends on what's causing the problem in the first place. It can be caused by flat feet, arthritis, benign cysts, varicose veins, trauma and sometimes the cause just isn't known.

If any of you care, I have read so much about this - this little jot of information was all from memory.

I could write a book, 1001 Things I Never Wanted to Know about the Anatomy and Structure of the Human Foot, and Some Rare Condition Known as TTS.

Re: Any experience with TTS?re Wendy

Laurie R on 2/21/00 at 00:00 (016139)

WOW!!!!!!You explained this to the T.Tou know Wendy there is something thats real sad about it,I have all the symptoms you wrote.You are also so right about Nerves don't like being aggravated.I know I must keep doing something to cause these nerves to get aggravated.

After I had my cortisone shot the next day I had PT and when I got their my therapist said my podiatrist called him and said don't do to much with Laurie's foot today because of all the pain I was in and he wanted to see if the shot was going to work,so we took it slow.I feel at this point that therapy is not working but I love the deep tissue massages.My therapist always tells me you only come here for the massage and I say yes.

Wendy thank you again for helping me and everyone else with your knowledge.I apprecite it,thats why I made the comment the other day about it was like taking all of you with me to my doctors appointment.

Have a wonderful day Laurie R