Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My mother's feet are (almost) healed!

Posted by Roelinde on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016186)

In request of my mother (whose English is not good enough she can do it herself) I will write you again a message about her feet. We think that there could be more people among the ones that use this site, that have plantar fibromatosis, instead of plantar fasciitis. For example I've read several times messages of people saying they have 'atypical' PF. Is this really PF, or could it be something else?

I will describe here my mothers symptoms:
-she had pain under the complete bottom of her feet, which was radiating to the top of her feet
-the pain was atypical of PF, in the sense that she did not have any morning pain, but it increased after standing and walking. The pain was so intense she eventually could not walk or stand at all and had to make use of a wheelchair.
-the fascia and other tendons (if there are any?) on the bottom of her feet were very hard
-the tendons and fascia were also very thick and short
-the shortness and tightness of the tendons and fascia influenced the position of her toes (they were pulled down) and the shape of the arch (the arch was lowered).

She has now received 5 treatments with the Reflectron (shockwave therapy similar to the Ossatron, but less intensive) over a period of one year. She is now almost completely cured. Several things have been very important in the contribution to her healing:
-the shockwave treatments, that after each time have healed her feet a bit more.
-physiotherapy: massaging of the legs, especially the calf muscle and shin-bone area
-an orthopaedic shoe-maker that was very helpful and willing to adjust her shoes every 2 weeks or so. She had shoes especially made for her. The shockwave treatments caused her feet to change almost continuously, therefore it was very important that her shoes could be changed very frequently

Right now her feet have almost got back their original shape. There are hardly any hard spots left and her arch is higher and has returned to normal height. She is very positive about being completely cured within short!

We hope that this message will be of help to others! Please do a search on my name (Roelinde) if you want to find out more about her condition. I've described it in more detail in an earlier post.

Regards,

Roelinde

Re: My mother's feet are (almost) healed!

David L on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016206)

Glad to hear that your mother has had success with ESWT. I've never heard of the Reflectron before. Where was the treatment done and was any anasthetic used?
Regards,
David

Roelinde on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016235)

The Reflectron is made by a company called High Medical Technologies (HMT), based in Switzerland. My mothers treatments were performed in the Netherlands (where she lives). As far as I know she did not get any anaesthesia.

alan k on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016300)

If her pain is all over the foot, where did they apply the shockwaves? In Ossatron as I understand it it is one tiny spot at the pain center in the heel. Did they move the instrument over the course of her entire sole?

Looking forward to your generous answer,

alan k

Roelinde on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016303)

Hi Alan,

I'll have to ask my mother. Will get back to you with the answer.

Roelinde

David L on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016206)

Glad to hear that your mother has had success with ESWT. I've never heard of the Reflectron before. Where was the treatment done and was any anasthetic used?
Regards,
David

Roelinde on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016235)

The Reflectron is made by a company called High Medical Technologies (HMT), based in Switzerland. My mothers treatments were performed in the Netherlands (where she lives). As far as I know she did not get any anaesthesia.

alan k on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016300)

If her pain is all over the foot, where did they apply the shockwaves? In Ossatron as I understand it it is one tiny spot at the pain center in the heel. Did they move the instrument over the course of her entire sole?

Looking forward to your generous answer,

alan k

Roelinde on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016303)

Hi Alan,

I'll have to ask my mother. Will get back to you with the answer.

Roelinde