Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I Did It!

Posted by salina on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016207)

For info for others scared like I am. I tried a little while ago to give my feet a massage. Now I know what I need to do differently.
I am usually in a rush to stretch, or ice, or whatever, due to distractions around my house. But I made sure I would have plenty of time. When I first remove shoes after walking around, they are tender and sensitive. So I made sure I was sitting and resting for a while before I even began. I spent a lot of time massaging my whole foot (parts that don't hurt). I think that helped to relax my feet and lesson the pain in my arches. Because slowly, and nothing even close to being DEEP TISSUE massaging, I was able to gently massage the arches too. And I realized I could actually bear down harder on most of my foot than I thought I could. I really have no clue as to if I am doing this with any effect, but i am happy to just feel like I have accomplished something. And even with my unprofessional hands, my feet feel better. After massaging for a long time (instead of rushing, as usual) I stretched, and am now icing. Please respond if this is not correct. I am not trying to bug john. Anyone will do.
I am hoping this may lead to my one day being able to actually enjoy a deep tissue massage without worry. I am not trying to bust out military doctors, but I just have a prejudice I guess, so I will still wait before I let them go at my feet.

Re: I Did It!

Nancy S. on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016210)

Hi Salina, I just want to say that you gave me the best idea -- to Slow Down! Here I hobble around slowly all the time, life feels so slow that half the time I think I should be in the movie 'Coma,' but when I do something specific to try to help my foot, I hurry at it. I never thought about it until you said that you took your time with the massaging, and relaxed first and everything. I was planning to try John C's description of massaging tonight, but I would have done it differently if you hadn't posted, I would have just been trying to get it over with. Maybe I'll even sleep better, you made it sound so relaxed.
So thank you, and thanks to John C also. --Nancy

salina on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016214)

Hope it helps. Another reason I think it felt better this time was that I was in a good mood to start with. I usually try to mess with my feet after a long miserable day and my nerves are shot. I think that comes from the fact that I begin each day actually thinking my PF is gone. Of course, it isn't, then I am grouchy by dinnertime.
I get frustrated so easily. I vow to remain optimistic and do it again tomorrow. Since I am such a scaredy cat, I don't really have to worry about overdoing it. Hope not anyway. Hope it helps you.

Nancy S. on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016210)

Hi Salina, I just want to say that you gave me the best idea -- to Slow Down! Here I hobble around slowly all the time, life feels so slow that half the time I think I should be in the movie 'Coma,' but when I do something specific to try to help my foot, I hurry at it. I never thought about it until you said that you took your time with the massaging, and relaxed first and everything. I was planning to try John C's description of massaging tonight, but I would have done it differently if you hadn't posted, I would have just been trying to get it over with. Maybe I'll even sleep better, you made it sound so relaxed.
So thank you, and thanks to John C also. --Nancy

salina on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016214)

Hope it helps. Another reason I think it felt better this time was that I was in a good mood to start with. I usually try to mess with my feet after a long miserable day and my nerves are shot. I think that comes from the fact that I begin each day actually thinking my PF is gone. Of course, it isn't, then I am grouchy by dinnertime.
I get frustrated so easily. I vow to remain optimistic and do it again tomorrow. Since I am such a scaredy cat, I don't really have to worry about overdoing it. Hope not anyway. Hope it helps you.