Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

This helped my morning pain

Posted by Lucy W. on 2/22/00 at 00:00 (016229)

I am brand new to this site and 6 months into this pain. Not glad you are in pain but glad I'm not alone. Have tried the cortisone shot(OUCH!) without any relief. I am using Ibufrofin creme and DMSO roll on from my health food store. Something that has helped is what a doctor I went to suggested. He said to take a pair of cheap thick cushioned sneakers and cut a U shape at the back of them where they become slippers. He said to NEVER put your bare foot on the floor. I have seen a lot of improvement since doing this. It makes a dramatic difference when you first get up. Hope this helps someone.

Re: This helped my morning pain

salina on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016257)

Love that idea!! They would come in handy for me because during the day, I take my shoes off also to ice or stretch or massage, etc. and then I sometimes have to get up in a hurry when i had planned on sitting there a while longer, but kids don't wait til it is convenient to cause a catastrophy. And being able to slip into them would be so helpful, at least for a short time to take care of something. it is a hassle to have to do the whole sock and shoelace business for only a few minutes. that is why I end up getting up barefoot when I shouldn't. I think this will help a lot to solve this problem for me. Also, I am one of those with the bladder that won't wait inthe morning, so I HAVE to get up and walk to the bathroom immediately. then I sit back down and tend to my feet. And this little trip is usually done barefoot (I know! I know!) also. But no longer once I get my trusty slipper shoes. thanks.

Lucy W. on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016290)

Hope the slippers help you as much as they have me. My doctor also suggested that I buy the extra-firm mens calf high socks for support of the calf muscles. I could only find them at a drugstore but think they help too.Should mention even though I'm not selling anything that I own a health food store. I am also taking glucosamine-chondroitin combination, bromelain(best taken between meals with vitamin C for inflammation.) I have had one massage which helped and am going to keep doing that. God Bless! Lucy

salina on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016295)

I am going to start taking the glucosamene (whatever you said) also. Better copy the spelling now, huh? I have an achy back that flares up also, so it can't hurt to try it. It just goes from to bad to worse, the lack of fashion sense with PF. First the night splints, then cut out tennis shoes, now men's big ugly socks. I am really going to be a sight to see. But hey, if it helps. Just getting a mental picture and have to laugh. I am throwing in the limp and wobble that comes along with this also, so its a pretty bad vision. But it gives me a bit of humor for the day.

Lucy W. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016307)

I KNOW! We are a fashion show waiting to happen, aren't we? My Lucy nickname comes from my zany sense of humor and in my travels with my sister-in-law. She's Ethel to my Lucille Ball! Now I can dress the part! We have to laugh through the pain sometimes. I am praying to get over this soon as walking in Maui won't be fun otherwise, She lives there. I don't know any thing about the night splints so many talk about. I tried Spengo brand inserts which seemed to hurt not help. Dr. Scholl Women's sport inserts in a pair of SAS shoes has helped the most. Are there any good sandals with straps that work for my Maui trip? Thanks! Lucy

salina on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016311)

I hate to say it but i am the wrong one to ask about strappy sandals right now. Even the words seem a long way off to me. I have not ventured out to explore different types of summer type sandals yet. i am wearing big ol reeboks with a big ol hard insert in them the doctor gave me. Me and my husband took our rather large crew out to watch the surfers on a big wave day here on Oahu, and I was sticking out like a sore thumb (or sore foot). I had a big orange Tennessee VOLs tshirt (loyal fan) with marker stains and ketchup, big white mens socks (to cushion) and the big reeboks, and if the picture was not complete, I had glasses on, NOT TRANSITION LENSES!, and I sat in one spot without moving thw whole time because I didn't want to hurt my feet, or wobble in front of strangers. It was beautiful and I did enjoy it, but I really gotta work on the whole fashion thing. I have been doing nothing but concentrating on getting my feet better, all else has went out the window for me. I think I am scaring my hubby and kids. I actually did have to walk some on the sand and it felt good. I guess because it was so soft. But it also works you calves, so a word of caution there. I guess anyone suffering from PF should stretch before and after any beach activities because walking on sand is a workout. I have been looking on internet at Easy Spirit and Naturalizer, along with Birks. Everyone talks about how ugly they are, but they are looking pretty good to me. Maybe everything looks better when you are in mens socks. I have to acquire some more money first, then I am going to get some type of sandal. I think I saw a pair of sandals for men, maybe from Nike, that are like athletic shoes on the bottom (to have a good grip) and have an arch support in them like athletic shoes. I wonder if those are only for men.
The Easy spirit were interesting to me because they have a whole line of dressy and ladies type shoes, but are well cushioned and seem to support. remember the old commercial of a bunch of ladies dressed up in suits and heels, but playing basketball? The idea is they look great, but comfortable. Surely not that comfortable. but the website was pretty convincing. Happy shopping. I am broke. If I could walk, I would be out collecting cans. (that was a joke) but not a bad idea.

patricisa on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016340)

Excuse me Lucy But I dont understand what you mean about the shoes please explain have been having pain since98

Lucy W. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016362)

Thanks for the walking in sand info. I think you probably looked great! If you are like me it's comfort first, now. My doctor said walking in the sand in Maui will be good for it. You have first hand experience though. Not really looking for cute and strappy but PAIN-FREE and strappy. Lucy

Lucy W. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016367)

I was confused at first when the doctor told me to cut the back of a pair of thick cushioned cheap tennis shoes or sneakers. You cut a big U shape at the back (not into the sole of the shoe) big enough where you can slide your foot into them like houseshoes. You then have the arch support you need and the protection around the house and to the bathroom at night without having to lace and the whole nine yards. Hope this helps.Lucy

Bob G. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016368)

Night splints are worth getting used to. One must learn to adjust for comfort, but the result is less morning pain and progress.

Lucy.W. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016384)

Thanks! Where do I get the Night Splints? Lucy W.

salina on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016257)

Love that idea!! They would come in handy for me because during the day, I take my shoes off also to ice or stretch or massage, etc. and then I sometimes have to get up in a hurry when i had planned on sitting there a while longer, but kids don't wait til it is convenient to cause a catastrophy. And being able to slip into them would be so helpful, at least for a short time to take care of something. it is a hassle to have to do the whole sock and shoelace business for only a few minutes. that is why I end up getting up barefoot when I shouldn't. I think this will help a lot to solve this problem for me. Also, I am one of those with the bladder that won't wait inthe morning, so I HAVE to get up and walk to the bathroom immediately. then I sit back down and tend to my feet. And this little trip is usually done barefoot (I know! I know!) also. But no longer once I get my trusty slipper shoes. thanks.

Lucy W. on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016290)

Hope the slippers help you as much as they have me. My doctor also suggested that I buy the extra-firm mens calf high socks for support of the calf muscles. I could only find them at a drugstore but think they help too.Should mention even though I'm not selling anything that I own a health food store. I am also taking glucosamine-chondroitin combination, bromelain(best taken between meals with vitamin C for inflammation.) I have had one massage which helped and am going to keep doing that. God Bless! Lucy

salina on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016295)

I am going to start taking the glucosamene (whatever you said) also. Better copy the spelling now, huh? I have an achy back that flares up also, so it can't hurt to try it. It just goes from to bad to worse, the lack of fashion sense with PF. First the night splints, then cut out tennis shoes, now men's big ugly socks. I am really going to be a sight to see. But hey, if it helps. Just getting a mental picture and have to laugh. I am throwing in the limp and wobble that comes along with this also, so its a pretty bad vision. But it gives me a bit of humor for the day.

Lucy W. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016307)

I KNOW! We are a fashion show waiting to happen, aren't we? My Lucy nickname comes from my zany sense of humor and in my travels with my sister-in-law. She's Ethel to my Lucille Ball! Now I can dress the part! We have to laugh through the pain sometimes. I am praying to get over this soon as walking in Maui won't be fun otherwise, She lives there. I don't know any thing about the night splints so many talk about. I tried Spengo brand inserts which seemed to hurt not help. Dr. Scholl Women's sport inserts in a pair of SAS shoes has helped the most. Are there any good sandals with straps that work for my Maui trip? Thanks! Lucy

salina on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016311)

I hate to say it but i am the wrong one to ask about strappy sandals right now. Even the words seem a long way off to me. I have not ventured out to explore different types of summer type sandals yet. i am wearing big ol reeboks with a big ol hard insert in them the doctor gave me. Me and my husband took our rather large crew out to watch the surfers on a big wave day here on Oahu, and I was sticking out like a sore thumb (or sore foot). I had a big orange Tennessee VOLs tshirt (loyal fan) with marker stains and ketchup, big white mens socks (to cushion) and the big reeboks, and if the picture was not complete, I had glasses on, NOT TRANSITION LENSES!, and I sat in one spot without moving thw whole time because I didn't want to hurt my feet, or wobble in front of strangers. It was beautiful and I did enjoy it, but I really gotta work on the whole fashion thing. I have been doing nothing but concentrating on getting my feet better, all else has went out the window for me. I think I am scaring my hubby and kids. I actually did have to walk some on the sand and it felt good. I guess because it was so soft. But it also works you calves, so a word of caution there. I guess anyone suffering from PF should stretch before and after any beach activities because walking on sand is a workout. I have been looking on internet at Easy Spirit and Naturalizer, along with Birks. Everyone talks about how ugly they are, but they are looking pretty good to me. Maybe everything looks better when you are in mens socks. I have to acquire some more money first, then I am going to get some type of sandal. I think I saw a pair of sandals for men, maybe from Nike, that are like athletic shoes on the bottom (to have a good grip) and have an arch support in them like athletic shoes. I wonder if those are only for men.
The Easy spirit were interesting to me because they have a whole line of dressy and ladies type shoes, but are well cushioned and seem to support. remember the old commercial of a bunch of ladies dressed up in suits and heels, but playing basketball? The idea is they look great, but comfortable. Surely not that comfortable. but the website was pretty convincing. Happy shopping. I am broke. If I could walk, I would be out collecting cans. (that was a joke) but not a bad idea.

patricisa on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016340)

Excuse me Lucy But I dont understand what you mean about the shoes please explain have been having pain since98

Lucy W. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016362)

Thanks for the walking in sand info. I think you probably looked great! If you are like me it's comfort first, now. My doctor said walking in the sand in Maui will be good for it. You have first hand experience though. Not really looking for cute and strappy but PAIN-FREE and strappy. Lucy

Lucy W. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016367)

I was confused at first when the doctor told me to cut the back of a pair of thick cushioned cheap tennis shoes or sneakers. You cut a big U shape at the back (not into the sole of the shoe) big enough where you can slide your foot into them like houseshoes. You then have the arch support you need and the protection around the house and to the bathroom at night without having to lace and the whole nine yards. Hope this helps.Lucy

Bob G. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016368)

Night splints are worth getting used to. One must learn to adjust for comfort, but the result is less morning pain and progress.

Lucy.W. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016384)

Thanks! Where do I get the Night Splints? Lucy W.