Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstocks

Posted by Libby on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016245)

I saw a Birkenstock website once that had a 'Clearance' section. It wasn't the German website though. Does anyone know of any other good Birkenstock websites? Thanks, Libby

Re: Birkenstocks

Jenny Lewis on 10/18/99 at 00:00 (011811)

Hi, big Birks fan here: 2 pairs sandals, 2 pairs closed, one pair waterproof for changing room to swimming pool, one pair inserts. My feet also get very warm in them, and recently, as the weather has cooled somewhat, I have been changing into my sandals when I get to work. One of the shops I went to, I was told that Birks are well insulated, the cork in the footbed does it apparently. The chap said that in winter it is possible to wear the sandals with socks and not have cold feet. I don't much like sandals with socks, so am not about to test that theory just yet!

The amount of walking you can do is very much a personal thing, but don't try to go too far too fast too soon. I have now resigned myself to my fate - clumpy shoes forever - and 8 months ago I could not walk for more than about 10 or 15 minutes, and that was going very slowly. Doing the shopping was a bit of a strain, limping round the supermarket and then having to sit down to recover. It took some adjusting - and has been very frustrating at times, waiting around for buses to go not very far, thinking 'I could have been there by now' every 2 seconds. Now I can walk almost normally most of the time, can hardly believe it! And I have had a few days out that would have been impossible 6 months ago. In fact, just this past weekend I was out playing tourist for a day, and was exhausted by the evening, the feet worn out, but the excruciating pain was not there.

I've learned to walk slowly (used to gallop along) and didn't like it at first but had no choice and now I don't mind so much. I try to make use of the 'extra' time in thinking! ;-)

jl

LAUREN B. on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011832)

JENNY -- JUST CHECKING ON WHICH WINTER STYLE BIRKENSTOCKS YOU LIKE.
JUST DIAGNOSED WITH BI-LATERAL PLANTAR FACIITIS. VERY FRUSTRATED.
FEELS GOOD BAREFOOT BUT THEY TOLD ME TO KEEP SHOES ON. NEED HELP!!!

Beth D. on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011839)

Lauren,

My first pair was the Arizona sandle-ordered through LL Bean over the phone. The guy I talked to said I could exchange them if they were the wrong size. Luckily they fit! I broke them in over the course of about two weeks. My feet were very comfortable in them and I wore them inside only to appease Mr. D. I tried wearing my NB sneakers and Reebok DMX's with and without orthotics out of the house. Last week I broke the bank and went to the nearest mall to get some Birks to wear outside. I got a clog type with a buckle looped in the front. The straps are not that significant in keeping the shoes on though. I broke that pair in over the last week and have had minimal heel pain/discomfort today and yesterday! I have been massaging with a golf ball a few times a day and stretching before I get out of bed, before I bike and lift weights, after my workout, and before bed. I wish they make a sneaker type shoe for working out! Good Luck to you. I know that the Birks are not for everyone.

Robin B. on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011842)

Lauren, I too started with Arizonas. They remain my favorite style, although I have a pair of Floridas (3 straps), a closed toe 'fisherman' style shoe and a couple pairs of Papillos. Fortunately I live in Florida so I don't need closed-toed shoes at all.

I am luckier than many people -- it took virtually no break-in period for me. Just half a day, maybe less. However, I do strongly recommend that you start off with one of the very basic styles such as Arizona. It's strong, stable, easy and well built. My next pair will be another pair of Arizonas. In fact, I have made one pair my 'at home bedroom slippers' which never get used outside the house.

Barefoot is a disaster -- bad for the arch, bad for the heel, and real bad for the plantar fascia. Even know that I am finally sort of recovering from PF and can actually walk around the house barefoot a little if I choose -- I try my best not to. In my head, I know it's not a smart thing for my total recovery. Good luck with Birks if you get some.

Mary S. on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011850)

Has anyone tried the Birk Professionals yet? Just wondering. They say surgeons etc (that stay on their feet all day) use them constantly. I just saw them in a catalog I got recently!

Jenny Lewis on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011856)

Hi Lauren

The closed Birks I got are: one pair is very very plain, lace-ups, two pairs of holes, black nu-buck. The other pair are closed at the front, but sort of strap things going across, through a T-bar, with a strap to fasten through a buckle. The reason I have rambled through trying to describe them is, I have just looked on the Birks website and there seem to be different styles and some names aren't the same as the ones here. Anyway, the strappy ones on the website are called Madera, those are exactly the same as mine. My lace-ups I'm not sure about, but there is a pair called Medford which looks close. Have a look - http://www.birkenstock.com/ - it's nice to browse through. I also have a pair of the blue inserts which are ok in a pre-spur pair of shoes, and some winter boots (which I had only JUST bought before the Big Pain started!)

BUT.... don't forget everyone is different. Some people hate Birks, some love them, I am a fanatic convert (although I still think they look clumpy, but am past caring). The main thing I would suggest is - if you can get to a shop that sells them, try on as many as possible and walk around as long as possible (the Birks shop in London are very understanding about this sort of thing!) because, even though the shaped footbed is the same in all styles, the styles do make a difference.

They are expensive, but I justified it by reminding myself that these are MY FEET, and they have a lot to do, what with keeping me up and pounding the pavements of London and so on. Also, 3 of my 5 pairs so far have been on sale special offer reduced, hooray.

If you are not near a store, I believe their mail-order service is ok for changing shoes you are not happy with.

I also have a pair of Scholls sandals. If you have anywhere near you that sells them, they are worth a look - cheaper than Birks, but also with arch support and all that. I find I can't walk in them for too long, but they are ok for when I do pottery, mostly sitting and just pottering around.

Good luck with your search.

john a on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011857)

The Birk footbed is NOT the same in all styles. The 'Tatami' line in particular is supposed to have a higher arch and a deeper heel cup. So says their catalog at least. Buyer beware.

Ivy L on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011895)

The general consensus at the store where I purchase my footwear is that one should gradually break in the shoes/sandals, starting with a few hours one day, then increasing the time by 1 or 2 hours each day.

Robin B. on 11/02/99 at 00:00 (012259)

The best thing to do is to try and find a store that sell Birkenstocks and get yourself properly fitted. Even if you don't buy them there, get properly fitted if you can.

When I used to wear regular shoes (which I no longer do), I wore a women's 9 or 9.5. Sometimes I even wore a 10 depending on the shoe (I was, regrettably, into cheap shoes then.)

I looked at the conversion chart and decided I would take a size 40 in a Birkenstock. At that time, I had a Birk store 2 miles from my house -- so I marched in and said I needed a size 40. Size 40 was way too large. The woman in the store spent a lot of time fitting me, and I ended up with a 38 -- which is supposed to equate to a woman's 8 or 8.5.

Today I buy a size 38 Birk. I can wear a size 39 sometimes, but 38 is my preference. My experience is -- if you buy too large which I would have done left on my own, the arch will hit you in the wrong place and will not be of any benefit at all.

Hard for me to offer advice on width. I had a medium-to-wide foot to begin with so the regular width in Birk is just fine for me.

Renee on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012292)

I don't know where you live but your better department stores should carry

I don't know where you live but your better department stores should carry Birks. I just bought a pair at Parisian's in Alabama on sale for $79.00. I thought it was a steal for the relief I get! Call store in your area and ask if they carry them! It can't hurt and yopu will save your feet the stress of walking all over!! Good Luck!

venoris on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012362)

Large department stores, such as hechts carry birks. get sized for fit and then check out qvc to order. They have the best price i have found anywhere. I bought my first pair from them this summer and they work wonderful for me. I put them on the minute i get home and use them as bedroom shoes. I'm thinking about buying an enclosed pair to wear during the winter. Also i got a birkenstock catalog and check out birkenstock on the internet. Best of luck!

Re: Birkenstocks and fitting

Robin B. on 11/30/99 at 00:00 (013232)

Marti, your heel should be snugly back in the heel cup. It should be right to the back edge of the heel cup, not riding loosely with 1/4 or 1/2 inch to spare in back.

Your toes should beno more than 1/4 inch from the rounded ridge at the front of the shoe. If they are -- your shoes are too big. Your toes shouldn't hurt. You might feel the muscles in your feet a little more from the toe bar -- but Birks are not like the old Dr. Scholls where you are supposed to 'grasp' with your toe. There is a little toe action in the Birks, not a ton. The key is in getting the strap that is closest to your toes snug but not tight. If you can slide a finger under the strap, they are too loose.

It will probably take a week or more for your Birks to feel good. I was lucky. Mine took about two days to feel okay enough to wear pretty regularly. But once I started to wear them regularly, they have continually helped. Birks are all I wear today. I have 8 pairs and I would have 100 if I could afford them. But -- if they don't work for you, you will know within a couple of weeks and can try something else. Good luck -- I hope they work for you because once you get used to them, Birks are kind of fun.

Re: Birkenstocks for Sale Prices??TO JOHN

Becky R. on 12/14/99 at 00:00 (013725)

John,
Have you ordered from here before? How long does it take? A Euro dollar is equal to what in American dollar? Thanks.
Becky

john a on 12/14/99 at 00:00 (013727)

Yes, I ordered and received a soft footbed Monterey for 36.25 euros ($37 US). It took 33 days to get to me, but that was the standard, no extra charge shipping (the place is in Germany). 'terry p' ordered some but chose the air freight shipping and should be getting them soon. As I said, look at the 'Awesome Birkenstock Site' thread for more comments from me and others. I think they are a reputable site.

terri p on 12/14/99 at 00:00 (013749)

As for my Birkenstock order from the 'www.birkenstock-cn.com' site. I ordered 3 pairs on December 2nd by airfreight- it was processed & just got in today. I live in southern California so it took a good 12 days. The fit is great and I also ordered a pair for my mother - bonus, the Christmas gift wrapping was free. John is right, they have the best prices around and the service is has been great. I'll definately be ordering in the future!

john h on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013773)

becky: i placed my first order a couple weeks ago. i was told the model i orderd would not be available from the factor until Jan so my order is still in. the eurodollar flucuates each day. you can usually find it in the financial section of your paper. it roughly one eurodollar to one dollar U.S.

Libby on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013827)

Did you use a charge card to place your order? Did you order directly from the website? How much extra was shipping? Libby

terri p on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013956)

Libby,

I used my visa online & it posted safely. They accept VISA, MASTERCARD or AMERICAN EXPRESS. They also provided a phone number to call, or a fax number to send your order information. The staff was wonderful, they have responded to all my requests for additional information from billing to proper shoe sizing. There is an additional cost for the air freight of 13 euros (about $12-13) per shoe - which took a little over 10 days to arrive - one pair was for my mom & it also arrived on time for Christmas - all wrapped for free! Check out the site: http://www.birkenstock-cn.com

Re: Birkenstocks -- See Scott's products link

Nancy S. on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015441)

Barb, I think you'd probably find anything you need in the way of Birks from the German site, which Scott has a link to on his products page (and he deservedly gets a commission if you order through there). It's a big site with many many styles to choose from, and the cost is way lower than buying from the U.S. shops -- about 50%, most say. So I hope you'll try that route when you next buy a pair. I too have become a wild Birks fan due to this message board. -- Nancy S.

Mary on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015832)

Barb,

I also live in Colorado and get my Birkenstocks at Dardano's. There are several stores, but all are located near I25 and Colorado Boulevard in the Cherry Creek area. What I really like about Dardano's is that the sales people are very familiar with PF and will take the time to make sure you get a proper fit. The first time I bought a pair of Birk's, the sales person helped me over an hour and kept the store open past the closing time while I tried to decide which style was the least ugly. But, Birk's have been a lifesaver for me and I will probably always wear them.

There is another walking shoe store called Don Q's which is located near the University of Denver. They also have a wide selection of Birk's, but I prefer Dardano's service.

Barbara B. on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016283)

I'm assuming you've looked at http://www.birkenstock.com/home/home.htm . There is a US address that is an official Birkenstock subsidiary (Birkenstock Footprint Sandals, Inc.; 8171 Redwood Blvd.; Novato, CA 94945) in the USA - and 1 in Canada. Other customers are referred to Germany.

I have purchased 5 pairs so far... I've found that QVC (http://www.qvc.com/) actually has pretty good prices. My first pair was so ugly, but so comfortable! I'm lucky enough to have a Birkenstock Manufacturer's outlet nearby (I have 2 pairs from there). The prices at the outlet are comparable to QVC. I've gotten very few things from QVC, but I really value the birkis I've bought from them! In addition, if you get pairs that have man-made upppers (still same footbeds), you can save some money. Good luck!

Jenny Lewis on 10/18/99 at 00:00 (011811)

Hi, big Birks fan here: 2 pairs sandals, 2 pairs closed, one pair waterproof for changing room to swimming pool, one pair inserts. My feet also get very warm in them, and recently, as the weather has cooled somewhat, I have been changing into my sandals when I get to work. One of the shops I went to, I was told that Birks are well insulated, the cork in the footbed does it apparently. The chap said that in winter it is possible to wear the sandals with socks and not have cold feet. I don't much like sandals with socks, so am not about to test that theory just yet!

The amount of walking you can do is very much a personal thing, but don't try to go too far too fast too soon. I have now resigned myself to my fate - clumpy shoes forever - and 8 months ago I could not walk for more than about 10 or 15 minutes, and that was going very slowly. Doing the shopping was a bit of a strain, limping round the supermarket and then having to sit down to recover. It took some adjusting - and has been very frustrating at times, waiting around for buses to go not very far, thinking 'I could have been there by now' every 2 seconds. Now I can walk almost normally most of the time, can hardly believe it! And I have had a few days out that would have been impossible 6 months ago. In fact, just this past weekend I was out playing tourist for a day, and was exhausted by the evening, the feet worn out, but the excruciating pain was not there.

I've learned to walk slowly (used to gallop along) and didn't like it at first but had no choice and now I don't mind so much. I try to make use of the 'extra' time in thinking! ;-)

jl

LAUREN B. on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011832)

JENNY -- JUST CHECKING ON WHICH WINTER STYLE BIRKENSTOCKS YOU LIKE.
JUST DIAGNOSED WITH BI-LATERAL PLANTAR FACIITIS. VERY FRUSTRATED.
FEELS GOOD BAREFOOT BUT THEY TOLD ME TO KEEP SHOES ON. NEED HELP!!!

Beth D. on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011839)

Lauren,

My first pair was the Arizona sandle-ordered through LL Bean over the phone. The guy I talked to said I could exchange them if they were the wrong size. Luckily they fit! I broke them in over the course of about two weeks. My feet were very comfortable in them and I wore them inside only to appease Mr. D. I tried wearing my NB sneakers and Reebok DMX's with and without orthotics out of the house. Last week I broke the bank and went to the nearest mall to get some Birks to wear outside. I got a clog type with a buckle looped in the front. The straps are not that significant in keeping the shoes on though. I broke that pair in over the last week and have had minimal heel pain/discomfort today and yesterday! I have been massaging with a golf ball a few times a day and stretching before I get out of bed, before I bike and lift weights, after my workout, and before bed. I wish they make a sneaker type shoe for working out! Good Luck to you. I know that the Birks are not for everyone.

Robin B. on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011842)

Lauren, I too started with Arizonas. They remain my favorite style, although I have a pair of Floridas (3 straps), a closed toe 'fisherman' style shoe and a couple pairs of Papillos. Fortunately I live in Florida so I don't need closed-toed shoes at all.

I am luckier than many people -- it took virtually no break-in period for me. Just half a day, maybe less. However, I do strongly recommend that you start off with one of the very basic styles such as Arizona. It's strong, stable, easy and well built. My next pair will be another pair of Arizonas. In fact, I have made one pair my 'at home bedroom slippers' which never get used outside the house.

Barefoot is a disaster -- bad for the arch, bad for the heel, and real bad for the plantar fascia. Even know that I am finally sort of recovering from PF and can actually walk around the house barefoot a little if I choose -- I try my best not to. In my head, I know it's not a smart thing for my total recovery. Good luck with Birks if you get some.

Mary S. on 10/19/99 at 00:00 (011850)

Has anyone tried the Birk Professionals yet? Just wondering. They say surgeons etc (that stay on their feet all day) use them constantly. I just saw them in a catalog I got recently!

Jenny Lewis on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011856)

Hi Lauren

The closed Birks I got are: one pair is very very plain, lace-ups, two pairs of holes, black nu-buck. The other pair are closed at the front, but sort of strap things going across, through a T-bar, with a strap to fasten through a buckle. The reason I have rambled through trying to describe them is, I have just looked on the Birks website and there seem to be different styles and some names aren't the same as the ones here. Anyway, the strappy ones on the website are called Madera, those are exactly the same as mine. My lace-ups I'm not sure about, but there is a pair called Medford which looks close. Have a look - http://www.birkenstock.com/ - it's nice to browse through. I also have a pair of the blue inserts which are ok in a pre-spur pair of shoes, and some winter boots (which I had only JUST bought before the Big Pain started!)

BUT.... don't forget everyone is different. Some people hate Birks, some love them, I am a fanatic convert (although I still think they look clumpy, but am past caring). The main thing I would suggest is - if you can get to a shop that sells them, try on as many as possible and walk around as long as possible (the Birks shop in London are very understanding about this sort of thing!) because, even though the shaped footbed is the same in all styles, the styles do make a difference.

They are expensive, but I justified it by reminding myself that these are MY FEET, and they have a lot to do, what with keeping me up and pounding the pavements of London and so on. Also, 3 of my 5 pairs so far have been on sale special offer reduced, hooray.

If you are not near a store, I believe their mail-order service is ok for changing shoes you are not happy with.

I also have a pair of Scholls sandals. If you have anywhere near you that sells them, they are worth a look - cheaper than Birks, but also with arch support and all that. I find I can't walk in them for too long, but they are ok for when I do pottery, mostly sitting and just pottering around.

Good luck with your search.

john a on 10/20/99 at 00:00 (011857)

The Birk footbed is NOT the same in all styles. The 'Tatami' line in particular is supposed to have a higher arch and a deeper heel cup. So says their catalog at least. Buyer beware.

Ivy L on 10/21/99 at 00:00 (011895)

The general consensus at the store where I purchase my footwear is that one should gradually break in the shoes/sandals, starting with a few hours one day, then increasing the time by 1 or 2 hours each day.

Re: Birkenstocks help

Robin B. on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017963)

The Birk inserts do nothing for me. But Birkenstocks themselves are wonderful.

I had severe PF in both feet since autumn 1998. I am on a road to recovery now, and Birkenstocks are the major reason why. You can do a search on Birkenstocks within the message board and read all the pros (and cons too) for yourself -- and there are MANY comments, I assure you.

I have 10 pairs of Birkenstocks. That's all I wear, everywhere. My personal belief is that as a person is trying to find his or her own cure for PF, the number one thing to do is to get yourself into shoes -- any shoes -- that offer some relief of the pain. I tried all kinds of athletic shoes first and OTC inserts, then went to Birkenstocks and have been in them since.

If you try them, it is crucial to be properly fitted in a store that sells Birks by someone who knows what they're doing, not just some high school working after school. Fit is the number one factor. Even if you buy them online for less $$$, I highly recommend getting properly fitted first. I definitely would have bought the wrong size and would have worsened my pain without the right fit.

Robin B. on 11/02/99 at 00:00 (012259)

The best thing to do is to try and find a store that sell Birkenstocks and get yourself properly fitted. Even if you don't buy them there, get properly fitted if you can.

When I used to wear regular shoes (which I no longer do), I wore a women's 9 or 9.5. Sometimes I even wore a 10 depending on the shoe (I was, regrettably, into cheap shoes then.)

I looked at the conversion chart and decided I would take a size 40 in a Birkenstock. At that time, I had a Birk store 2 miles from my house -- so I marched in and said I needed a size 40. Size 40 was way too large. The woman in the store spent a lot of time fitting me, and I ended up with a 38 -- which is supposed to equate to a woman's 8 or 8.5.

Today I buy a size 38 Birk. I can wear a size 39 sometimes, but 38 is my preference. My experience is -- if you buy too large which I would have done left on my own, the arch will hit you in the wrong place and will not be of any benefit at all.

Hard for me to offer advice on width. I had a medium-to-wide foot to begin with so the regular width in Birk is just fine for me.

Renee on 11/03/99 at 00:00 (012292)

I don't know where you live but your better department stores should carry

I don't know where you live but your better department stores should carry Birks. I just bought a pair at Parisian's in Alabama on sale for $79.00. I thought it was a steal for the relief I get! Call store in your area and ask if they carry them! It can't hurt and yopu will save your feet the stress of walking all over!! Good Luck!

venoris on 11/05/99 at 00:00 (012362)

Large department stores, such as hechts carry birks. get sized for fit and then check out qvc to order. They have the best price i have found anywhere. I bought my first pair from them this summer and they work wonderful for me. I put them on the minute i get home and use them as bedroom shoes. I'm thinking about buying an enclosed pair to wear during the winter. Also i got a birkenstock catalog and check out birkenstock on the internet. Best of luck!

Re: Birkenstocks and fitting

Robin B. on 11/30/99 at 00:00 (013232)

Marti, your heel should be snugly back in the heel cup. It should be right to the back edge of the heel cup, not riding loosely with 1/4 or 1/2 inch to spare in back.

Your toes should beno more than 1/4 inch from the rounded ridge at the front of the shoe. If they are -- your shoes are too big. Your toes shouldn't hurt. You might feel the muscles in your feet a little more from the toe bar -- but Birks are not like the old Dr. Scholls where you are supposed to 'grasp' with your toe. There is a little toe action in the Birks, not a ton. The key is in getting the strap that is closest to your toes snug but not tight. If you can slide a finger under the strap, they are too loose.

It will probably take a week or more for your Birks to feel good. I was lucky. Mine took about two days to feel okay enough to wear pretty regularly. But once I started to wear them regularly, they have continually helped. Birks are all I wear today. I have 8 pairs and I would have 100 if I could afford them. But -- if they don't work for you, you will know within a couple of weeks and can try something else. Good luck -- I hope they work for you because once you get used to them, Birks are kind of fun.

Becky R. on 12/14/99 at 00:00 (013725)

John,
Have you ordered from here before? How long does it take? A Euro dollar is equal to what in American dollar? Thanks.
Becky

john a on 12/14/99 at 00:00 (013727)

Yes, I ordered and received a soft footbed Monterey for 36.25 euros ($37 US). It took 33 days to get to me, but that was the standard, no extra charge shipping (the place is in Germany). 'terry p' ordered some but chose the air freight shipping and should be getting them soon. As I said, look at the 'Awesome Birkenstock Site' thread for more comments from me and others. I think they are a reputable site.

terri p on 12/14/99 at 00:00 (013749)

As for my Birkenstock order from the 'www.birkenstock-cn.com' site. I ordered 3 pairs on December 2nd by airfreight- it was processed & just got in today. I live in southern California so it took a good 12 days. The fit is great and I also ordered a pair for my mother - bonus, the Christmas gift wrapping was free. John is right, they have the best prices around and the service is has been great. I'll definately be ordering in the future!

john h on 12/15/99 at 00:00 (013773)

becky: i placed my first order a couple weeks ago. i was told the model i orderd would not be available from the factor until Jan so my order is still in. the eurodollar flucuates each day. you can usually find it in the financial section of your paper. it roughly one eurodollar to one dollar U.S.

Libby on 12/16/99 at 00:00 (013827)

Did you use a charge card to place your order? Did you order directly from the website? How much extra was shipping? Libby

terri p on 12/20/99 at 00:00 (013956)

Libby,

I used my visa online & it posted safely. They accept VISA, MASTERCARD or AMERICAN EXPRESS. They also provided a phone number to call, or a fax number to send your order information. The staff was wonderful, they have responded to all my requests for additional information from billing to proper shoe sizing. There is an additional cost for the air freight of 13 euros (about $12-13) per shoe - which took a little over 10 days to arrive - one pair was for my mom & it also arrived on time for Christmas - all wrapped for free! Check out the site: http://www.birkenstock-cn.com

Re: Birkenstocks -- See Scott's products link

Nancy S. on 2/03/00 at 00:00 (015441)

Barb, I think you'd probably find anything you need in the way of Birks from the German site, which Scott has a link to on his products page (and he deservedly gets a commission if you order through there). It's a big site with many many styles to choose from, and the cost is way lower than buying from the U.S. shops -- about 50%, most say. So I hope you'll try that route when you next buy a pair. I too have become a wild Birks fan due to this message board. -- Nancy S.

Mary on 2/13/00 at 00:00 (015832)

Barb,

I also live in Colorado and get my Birkenstocks at Dardano's. There are several stores, but all are located near I25 and Colorado Boulevard in the Cherry Creek area. What I really like about Dardano's is that the sales people are very familiar with PF and will take the time to make sure you get a proper fit. The first time I bought a pair of Birk's, the sales person helped me over an hour and kept the store open past the closing time while I tried to decide which style was the least ugly. But, Birk's have been a lifesaver for me and I will probably always wear them.

There is another walking shoe store called Don Q's which is located near the University of Denver. They also have a wide selection of Birk's, but I prefer Dardano's service.

Barbara B. on 2/23/00 at 00:00 (016283)

I'm assuming you've looked at http://www.birkenstock.com/home/home.htm . There is a US address that is an official Birkenstock subsidiary (Birkenstock Footprint Sandals, Inc.; 8171 Redwood Blvd.; Novato, CA 94945) in the USA - and 1 in Canada. Other customers are referred to Germany.

I have purchased 5 pairs so far... I've found that QVC (http://www.qvc.com/) actually has pretty good prices. My first pair was so ugly, but so comfortable! I'm lucky enough to have a Birkenstock Manufacturer's outlet nearby (I have 2 pairs from there). The prices at the outlet are comparable to QVC. I've gotten very few things from QVC, but I really value the birkis I've bought from them! In addition, if you get pairs that have man-made upppers (still same footbeds), you can save some money. Good luck!

Re: Birkenstocks help

Robin B. on 3/29/00 at 00:00 (017963)

The Birk inserts do nothing for me. But Birkenstocks themselves are wonderful.

I had severe PF in both feet since autumn 1998. I am on a road to recovery now, and Birkenstocks are the major reason why. You can do a search on Birkenstocks within the message board and read all the pros (and cons too) for yourself -- and there are MANY comments, I assure you.

I have 10 pairs of Birkenstocks. That's all I wear, everywhere. My personal belief is that as a person is trying to find his or her own cure for PF, the number one thing to do is to get yourself into shoes -- any shoes -- that offer some relief of the pain. I tried all kinds of athletic shoes first and OTC inserts, then went to Birkenstocks and have been in them since.

If you try them, it is crucial to be properly fitted in a store that sells Birks by someone who knows what they're doing, not just some high school working after school. Fit is the number one factor. Even if you buy them online for less $$$, I highly recommend getting properly fitted first. I definitely would have bought the wrong size and would have worsened my pain without the right fit.