Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

barefoot in the shower a no-no

Posted by alan k on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016299)

No bare feet in the shower allowed.

Even a cheap pair of flip-flops is better than bare feet. I use super-birks which are rubber birks with a cork insert which is a pain to take out to dry each time. I wish I chose the flip-flop like birks that are plastic and all of one piece. I've noticed in stores that with plastic sandals there are all kinds of options with funky nobby footbeds which might be as good or better than birks.

alan k

Re: barefoot in the shower a no-no

Nancy S. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016301)

Yeah, I was dying to say that, but figured I've posted enough no-nos in the last week. I found some of those nobby funky plastic sandals. They're good and sturdy ones because I wanted them not only for the shower but to wear when I'm at the pool -- I wear them right up to the pool edge and step right into them when I get out, and wear them in the shower there and here at home. I know they've made a difference. A shower floor or tub floor is way too hard and flat, in my opinion, even for a short time. Besides, I think the nobby things provide a little massage. They feel funny but good once you get used to them. --Nancy

wendyn on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016302)

Oh man...you guys drive me nuts! Just when i think I have enough shoes....but you're absolutely right. I go barefoot in the shower and sometimes even around the house and I KNOW that I shouldn't. My feet feel better the more I have the Birks on (I guess it's my last form of foot rebellion). I have been thinking of getting myself a pair of those 'nobby' birks - now I guess I can justify spending the money.

On another shoe note, I started out in September with a very soft pair of Birks. They were fantastic. Then in December I got a pair that were supposed to be a soft foot bed but I found them harder than the first pair, and my feet didn't like them.

Now, in February - the harder ones are better for my feet (?) it's almost like the soft ones don't have enough support any more. I wonder if it's because my feet have healed some? Or the shoes have worn down too much ? I think John A may have had a similar sudden problem tolerating his soft Birks.

On my harder pair, I also have slapped a Dr Scholls padding in there just to make it a little softer. This combination seems to be working well.

I'm thinking I may have to try a traditional foot bed in Birks, but I guess I'll spend my money on the nobby shoes for now.

My feet in general continue to be not too bad...still am having some sharp pains in the morning for the first hour or two, but my feet are a nice white color and they 'look' better than they have in a long time. I keep hoping this means that there is some healing taking place!!!!!!

Nancy S. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016304)

Wendy, your feet certainly sound better from here -- I hope it lasts and lasts and lasts. Just wanted to tell you that the sandals I bought are Adidas and cost $25. That's probably cheaper than the nobby Birks? I mean the 'flat' Birks are so expensive, I wonder what they charge to make each little nob! My sandals are black and white and all plastic, with an adjustable big wide strap covering the ball area of the foot (but on top of course). I don't know how they'd be for you, if you're planning to wear them around the house in general, but thought you might want to try them, just in case. I got them at Famous Footwear, I think that's the name. Don't know if you have that in Canada.
The harder Birks have usually felt better to me for some reason. I have the Boston style. My heel feels secure and supported. Say, if you can't quite believe your feet, maybe the fact that you haven't posted as much lately means they are healing . . . --ancy

PattyS on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016334)

Is there no joy in this life? I hate wearing shoes and was enjoying my shoe free shower! I happened to go out earlier today and buy a second pair of the nobby athletic sandals which I guess will now become my shower shoes. They are made of a material which appears as if it will dry out relatively quickly. patty

Nancy S. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016301)

Yeah, I was dying to say that, but figured I've posted enough no-nos in the last week. I found some of those nobby funky plastic sandals. They're good and sturdy ones because I wanted them not only for the shower but to wear when I'm at the pool -- I wear them right up to the pool edge and step right into them when I get out, and wear them in the shower there and here at home. I know they've made a difference. A shower floor or tub floor is way too hard and flat, in my opinion, even for a short time. Besides, I think the nobby things provide a little massage. They feel funny but good once you get used to them. --Nancy

wendyn on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016302)

Oh man...you guys drive me nuts! Just when i think I have enough shoes....but you're absolutely right. I go barefoot in the shower and sometimes even around the house and I KNOW that I shouldn't. My feet feel better the more I have the Birks on (I guess it's my last form of foot rebellion). I have been thinking of getting myself a pair of those 'nobby' birks - now I guess I can justify spending the money.

On another shoe note, I started out in September with a very soft pair of Birks. They were fantastic. Then in December I got a pair that were supposed to be a soft foot bed but I found them harder than the first pair, and my feet didn't like them.

Now, in February - the harder ones are better for my feet (?) it's almost like the soft ones don't have enough support any more. I wonder if it's because my feet have healed some? Or the shoes have worn down too much ? I think John A may have had a similar sudden problem tolerating his soft Birks.

On my harder pair, I also have slapped a Dr Scholls padding in there just to make it a little softer. This combination seems to be working well.

I'm thinking I may have to try a traditional foot bed in Birks, but I guess I'll spend my money on the nobby shoes for now.

My feet in general continue to be not too bad...still am having some sharp pains in the morning for the first hour or two, but my feet are a nice white color and they 'look' better than they have in a long time. I keep hoping this means that there is some healing taking place!!!!!!

Nancy S. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016304)

Wendy, your feet certainly sound better from here -- I hope it lasts and lasts and lasts. Just wanted to tell you that the sandals I bought are Adidas and cost $25. That's probably cheaper than the nobby Birks? I mean the 'flat' Birks are so expensive, I wonder what they charge to make each little nob! My sandals are black and white and all plastic, with an adjustable big wide strap covering the ball area of the foot (but on top of course). I don't know how they'd be for you, if you're planning to wear them around the house in general, but thought you might want to try them, just in case. I got them at Famous Footwear, I think that's the name. Don't know if you have that in Canada.
The harder Birks have usually felt better to me for some reason. I have the Boston style. My heel feels secure and supported. Say, if you can't quite believe your feet, maybe the fact that you haven't posted as much lately means they are healing . . . --ancy

PattyS on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016334)

Is there no joy in this life? I hate wearing shoes and was enjoying my shoe free shower! I happened to go out earlier today and buy a second pair of the nobby athletic sandals which I guess will now become my shower shoes. They are made of a material which appears as if it will dry out relatively quickly. patty