Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Strappy Sandals

Posted by Lucy M on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016319)

Hi, I just wanted to let you know about some polyurethane Birkenstocks I got last fall for my trip to Kauai. They're a slide type of Birk that are about as fashionable as Birks can get. I got them to wear to the beach and they worked great! I also walked around a fair amount in them on my trip and did really well. I also use them in the shower. I know Birkenstock also makes several other types of plastic ones that are the more traditional two-strap type. I know you didn't ask about plastic shoes must I thought it might be helpful for those wanting to know about something to wear near the beach, etc. I also have a pair of Birkenstock Betula slides that are a wide (about 3') strap with a black and white striped sole below the cork. Obviously I'm trying hard to be as fashionable as possible even with this PF. I've always been a shoe-nut (which my closet overwhelming proves) and I'm still not willing to wear yucky shoes if I can help it. I've also got a pair of Tevas with a suede-type insole that has a good arch that are quite comfortable and give good support, and are really cushiony. They've got a white sole and I remember the box saying something about an 'active shank'. Most Tevas I seen though (the typical black rubber soled type) are pretty flat and don't have much of an arch. With the strap around the ankle I find it keeps my feet stable and they don't slide around alot. I hope this helps you and you are able to find some shoes that work for you and make your foot feel better.

Kim B. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016358)

I've also got the Teva's sandles with the white sole and grey suede-type insole, blue straps. They are so great! I think I could actually could go hiking in them. In the winter, I wear them with socks around the house. I got mine on sale last fall for 50% off at 'Just For Feet' (summer clearance) but would pay full price if I had to, expecially for the sake of a trip.

If you're looking for something more dressy, SAS shoemakers carry some comfy 'kinda' dressy strappy sandles and flats. They also have the 'Freetime' walking shoe that I am having great success with so far today (first day to have them). SAS carries a lot more styles than just those old nurses shoes and granny shoes that they used to be known for. Good luck!

Lucy W. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016361)

Thank you all so much for the help on the sandals. I am so blessed to have found this site, Everyone is so nice and helpful! Where are Just For Feet stores? I live in New Mexico and have not heard of them. Thanks, Lucy.

Kim B. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016371)

Just for Feet is a chain of athletic shoe stores.

I did a search for you and found this site. Maybe you can find out where the closest one to you is located. Or, you can order online if you find something you like.

http://www.feet.com/

Good Luck.

john a on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016389)

Most Teva sandals I've seen look like they have next to no arch support and barely any heel cup. I even bought a Valkyrie model, which was terrible for me. As I recall from the Teva catalog they sent me 8 months ago, this white and blue/grey walking sandal being mentioned here is made only for the ladies, right? It did advertise a better arch, but didn't look much different to me. (I know, I know, 'different soles for different souls')

I just looked at the Teva site and they have a new $99 'Wraptor' sandal that they say you can run in! (they should have called it the 'VelociWraptor' :-) Looks interesting.

Is there anyone out there who wears birks that also likes teva sandals?

Lucy M on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016391)

Hey john, I think you're right that those grey & white Teva (the model is called Circuit) are only ladies. They may make something similar for men but I'm not sure. To me, they have a substantially greater arch than most Tevas. I don't wear them all the time. I wear Birks and Reebok DMX most of the time but they are comfy and I have never hurt from them. But like you said, different soles.., I guess we just all have to spend lots of money to find the shoes that work best for each of us.

By the way, those Teva Circuits are on sale on the Just for Feet website (www.feet.com) for $39.99. If I recall correctly the regular price is about $60 or $80 bucks.
Also, the Just for Feet website is having a buy 1 pair get a 2nd pair half price sale.

john a on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016392)

Thanks for the tip Lucy! Hmmm, now, what ladies size is a man's 8 1/2 - 9 ? :-) ...Probably 10 1/2 - 11, I guess, judging by the birk size charts.

Kim B. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016358)

I've also got the Teva's sandles with the white sole and grey suede-type insole, blue straps. They are so great! I think I could actually could go hiking in them. In the winter, I wear them with socks around the house. I got mine on sale last fall for 50% off at 'Just For Feet' (summer clearance) but would pay full price if I had to, expecially for the sake of a trip.

If you're looking for something more dressy, SAS shoemakers carry some comfy 'kinda' dressy strappy sandles and flats. They also have the 'Freetime' walking shoe that I am having great success with so far today (first day to have them). SAS carries a lot more styles than just those old nurses shoes and granny shoes that they used to be known for. Good luck!

Lucy W. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016361)

Thank you all so much for the help on the sandals. I am so blessed to have found this site, Everyone is so nice and helpful! Where are Just For Feet stores? I live in New Mexico and have not heard of them. Thanks, Lucy.

Kim B. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016371)

Just for Feet is a chain of athletic shoe stores.

I did a search for you and found this site. Maybe you can find out where the closest one to you is located. Or, you can order online if you find something you like.

http://www.feet.com/

Good Luck.

john a on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016389)

Most Teva sandals I've seen look like they have next to no arch support and barely any heel cup. I even bought a Valkyrie model, which was terrible for me. As I recall from the Teva catalog they sent me 8 months ago, this white and blue/grey walking sandal being mentioned here is made only for the ladies, right? It did advertise a better arch, but didn't look much different to me. (I know, I know, 'different soles for different souls')

I just looked at the Teva site and they have a new $99 'Wraptor' sandal that they say you can run in! (they should have called it the 'VelociWraptor' :-) Looks interesting.

Is there anyone out there who wears birks that also likes teva sandals?

Lucy M on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016391)

Hey john, I think you're right that those grey & white Teva (the model is called Circuit) are only ladies. They may make something similar for men but I'm not sure. To me, they have a substantially greater arch than most Tevas. I don't wear them all the time. I wear Birks and Reebok DMX most of the time but they are comfy and I have never hurt from them. But like you said, different soles.., I guess we just all have to spend lots of money to find the shoes that work best for each of us.

By the way, those Teva Circuits are on sale on the Just for Feet website (www.feet.com) for $39.99. If I recall correctly the regular price is about $60 or $80 bucks.
Also, the Just for Feet website is having a buy 1 pair get a 2nd pair half price sale.

john a on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016392)

Thanks for the tip Lucy! Hmmm, now, what ladies size is a man's 8 1/2 - 9 ? :-) ...Probably 10 1/2 - 11, I guess, judging by the birk size charts.