Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Rug for the Kitchen

Posted by Kim B. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016323)

My foot problems came about after we moved into our new home 2 years ago. I admit it, I used to go barefoot around here a lot. There is a lot of hard-as-concrete ceramic tile flooring through-out the house. Since I spend so much time in the kitchen, criss crossing to cook and clean, cutting through to get to other rooms, etc., I came up with the notion that that hard floor is hindering my healing progress. (No way would it make ($$$) sense to pull up the ceramic tile flooring.)

So, I bought a cheap oriental style rug for the kithen. Our kitchen is pretty big so I got a 6x9' for $100 at Lowes Hardware store. Plus I spent $29 for the no slip padding to go under it. It actually looks pretty nice, cause I matched the colors to my wallpaper. The pattern we chose is so random, you can't see the dirt and crumbs. Normally, I just mop around the edges where the tile still shows, and vacuum the rug when I clean.

Just thought I would throw this out in case some of you are also spending too much time in a kitchen on top of floors that are as hard as concrete. Think about how much time you spend in the kitchen. Lanolium doesn't seem to be has unkind btw, that's what we had at the other house. I realize this PF may have come about even if we hadn't moved, but I seriouly suspect that the ceramic tile floors excellerated the process.

Kim B.

Re: Rug for the Kitchen

salina on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016335)

I also first felt pain in my foot when we moved to Italy a few years ago. Until then, we had lived for three years in a trailer with mostly all carpet and the floor in the kitchen was soft. Italy was rock hard (maybe harder) floors. I knew of several children in need of stitches just from taking a little tumble, and one of my children chipped two teeth (a little clumsy) taking falls. I did not know anything about feet at the time. And carpet was so expensive over there. so, didn't get any. We have moved twice since then, and been on hard floors ever since also. I dream of that trailer I hated so much. Being at home a lot, I spent a lot of time barefoot. Oblivious of what I was doing to my feet. I don't know, maybe it helps if your feet are used to something from the start. I am sure all Italians do not suffer from PF, even though they do have those HARD floors. I think it is because I, personally, was not used to it and that is why it put a strain on my feet. When we go to buy our own home, I will definately be paying attention. Just a thought.

Re: Rug for the Kitchen

salina on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016335)

I also first felt pain in my foot when we moved to Italy a few years ago. Until then, we had lived for three years in a trailer with mostly all carpet and the floor in the kitchen was soft. Italy was rock hard (maybe harder) floors. I knew of several children in need of stitches just from taking a little tumble, and one of my children chipped two teeth (a little clumsy) taking falls. I did not know anything about feet at the time. And carpet was so expensive over there. so, didn't get any. We have moved twice since then, and been on hard floors ever since also. I dream of that trailer I hated so much. Being at home a lot, I spent a lot of time barefoot. Oblivious of what I was doing to my feet. I don't know, maybe it helps if your feet are used to something from the start. I am sure all Italians do not suffer from PF, even though they do have those HARD floors. I think it is because I, personally, was not used to it and that is why it put a strain on my feet. When we go to buy our own home, I will definately be paying attention. Just a thought.