Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Laurie R. Here is what is going on with me.

Posted by Kim B. on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016341)

I was diagnosed with Heel Spurs in both feet last September. Saw the little guys on the X-ray myself. But based on what I've been reading lately, I'm starting to believe that there is another co-exhisting problem. TSS or nerve entrampment, or ??. I have pain on my first steps in the morning, and instead of it getting better throughout the day, as sited by some heelspur sufferers, mine gets worse the more I'm on them. The whole bottom of my feet hurt, my ankles hurt, and the pains often radiate up into my calves. I do have a history of siatic pain, radiating down my left leg, so that may be playing a part. I just now figured out that I may have something other than heel spurs going on so I haven't been in to discuss this with my orthopedist.

I welcome any direction or advice you or anyone else may have for me. :-)

VickiJ on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016405)

Hi Laurie,
Do you stretch? Ever since I did some work with a dance professor I've been a big believer in stretching. It didn't prevent me from getting PF probably because I didn't have enough arch support over the years and, as I'm learning from this site as well as going back and talking with that same professor, I probably wasn't doing the best type of stretching, or doing the stretches correctly.
I got to the point of being on crutches and the combination of a good pair of orthotics (I have very high arches and am convinced I need arch support) for shoes, Birks and learning the new stretches from Scott's book are what turned things around for me. Because I am such a believer in stretching I've been reading everything MIKe W and Alan K have posted about their 'devices' for stretching and strengthening and with the next batch of income I get (I'm self employed) I'm going to give them a try. I think the combination of isolating the specific muscles involved and then stretching/strengthening them will make a difference for me.

Re: Laurie R. Here is what is going on with me.RE VickiJ

Laurie R on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016410)

Hello Vicki, I do stretch but I have to be very careful because of this nerve thing going on some times I aggravate the nerve more.I still go to PT and my therapist always has me stretching.I also get thoes shooting pains.Laurie R

VickiJ on 2/26/00 at 00:00 (016462)

What a dilemma! I hope you feel confidant with your PT and that you get some relief soon!

VickiJ on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016405)

Hi Laurie,
Do you stretch? Ever since I did some work with a dance professor I've been a big believer in stretching. It didn't prevent me from getting PF probably because I didn't have enough arch support over the years and, as I'm learning from this site as well as going back and talking with that same professor, I probably wasn't doing the best type of stretching, or doing the stretches correctly.
I got to the point of being on crutches and the combination of a good pair of orthotics (I have very high arches and am convinced I need arch support) for shoes, Birks and learning the new stretches from Scott's book are what turned things around for me. Because I am such a believer in stretching I've been reading everything MIKe W and Alan K have posted about their 'devices' for stretching and strengthening and with the next batch of income I get (I'm self employed) I'm going to give them a try. I think the combination of isolating the specific muscles involved and then stretching/strengthening them will make a difference for me.

Laurie R on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016410)

Hello Vicki, I do stretch but I have to be very careful because of this nerve thing going on some times I aggravate the nerve more.I still go to PT and my therapist always has me stretching.I also get thoes shooting pains.Laurie R

VickiJ on 2/26/00 at 00:00 (016462)

What a dilemma! I hope you feel confidant with your PT and that you get some relief soon!