Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching post ESWT

Posted by GinaC on 2/24/00 at 00:00 (016353)

I've done both of the stretches recommended by Dr. Gordon before having ESWT and couldn't really tell if they helped or not. Have continued doing them after ESWT and still can't tell what they are accomplishing. A physical therapist helped me by suggesting that a gentle stretch can be effective; you can always increase the amount of stretch as you feel comfortable. Also, I find it easiest to stretch when calf muscles, fascia are warm. For me, stretching in a whirlpool feels really great, though I haven't done that post ESWT yet. Anyway, hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
posted to the eswt board

Re: Stretching post ESWT

Nicole V. R. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016413)

I'm sorry, somehow I've missed the stretches recommended by Dr. Gordon. Can you please tell me what they are? Today is the first day I'm able to lightly stretch my toes toward my shin. I also can take several steps without crutches, but then the pain becomes too unbearable, although I do feel a difference every day. On Monday I see my pod., and he will order physical therapy for me.
Take Care everyone!
posted to the eswt board

Gina C on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016420)

Dr. Gordon told me to do the wall stretch (involves leaning with hands against wall, one leg extended back) and also to stretch while sitting on floor with legs extended in front of you by leaning over and pulling foot toward you to stretch calf and then leaning over and grabbing toes and pull toward you to stretch fascia. These are not great explanations--I'm sure your pod. or physical therapist could show you how to do them. What will you be doing for physical therapy?
posted to the eswt board

Nicole V. R. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016442)

Thanks, Gina!
I do know how to do both those stretches, but stretching always irritated my condition previously. I'm going to try again, Taking it very slowly and gently. I'll have to see my pod. to see what PT he recommends, but I imagine ultrasound and whirlpool will be involved, since I've gone to PT for these before. I also had stretching and deep muscle massage, but the podiatrist had these stopped because I was in worse pain after PT. I'm not sure if he'll want to try them again. Thanks again, and I'm hoping you're pain free soon!
posted to the eswt board

Nicole V. R. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016413)

I'm sorry, somehow I've missed the stretches recommended by Dr. Gordon. Can you please tell me what they are? Today is the first day I'm able to lightly stretch my toes toward my shin. I also can take several steps without crutches, but then the pain becomes too unbearable, although I do feel a difference every day. On Monday I see my pod., and he will order physical therapy for me.
Take Care everyone!
posted to the eswt board

Gina C on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016420)

Dr. Gordon told me to do the wall stretch (involves leaning with hands against wall, one leg extended back) and also to stretch while sitting on floor with legs extended in front of you by leaning over and pulling foot toward you to stretch calf and then leaning over and grabbing toes and pull toward you to stretch fascia. These are not great explanations--I'm sure your pod. or physical therapist could show you how to do them. What will you be doing for physical therapy?
posted to the eswt board

Nicole V. R. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016442)

Thanks, Gina!
I do know how to do both those stretches, but stretching always irritated my condition previously. I'm going to try again, Taking it very slowly and gently. I'll have to see my pod. to see what PT he recommends, but I imagine ultrasound and whirlpool will be involved, since I've gone to PT for these before. I also had stretching and deep muscle massage, but the podiatrist had these stopped because I was in worse pain after PT. I'm not sure if he'll want to try them again. Thanks again, and I'm hoping you're pain free soon!
posted to the eswt board