Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What a fool I am!

Posted by Annette on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016381)

well my foot was feeling much better after taking a good two months off with out any running at all,(no cheating) I even got to the point where my foot was still felling pretty good at the end of the day, and after faithfully stretching heat ing icing and massaging I could finally say my foot was feeling better(but still my heel would hurt when pressing on it). I thought that I was at the point where I could run a measley 30minutes, it felt great to be running outside, I was thrilled. Well my heel swelled shortly after I was finished and I can hardley walk on it this morning, I can't believe that I didn't even heal enough to be able to run for only thirty minutes! I am back to square one. I am wondering if I made any progress at all. i was hoping to be able to run this summer but I don't think tht it will ever happen. this sucks. Has this happened to anyone out there? Is there anyone able to run after having this? Just wanted to vent, my husband has been chanting all morning, 'i told you so' 'I told you so' and he is right. I am a fool.

Re: What a fool I am!

Nancy S. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016386)

So sorry for your disappointment, Annette. I know to an avid runner that 30 minutes sounds 'measly,' but actually it's a lot to put your still-healing foot through so suddenly.
I would highly recommend that you go back a few pages through the message board, to where Barbb posted 'IT'S ME AGAIN' and read Rick R's reply to her (dated 2/21). He is a runner who has had a lot of experience with this problem, and he had some excellent advice to offer. Especially read his paragraph that begins, 'If I had it to all over again . . .' I think it will help you ease back into running in a way that shouldn't reinjure you.
I had a recent setback doing a bad twist/stretch that I never should have tried, after 2 months of rest, mild stretching, and swimming. I was feeling like you -- I've wrecked it, I'm back to square one, etc. But for the last two days I feel I'm beginning to get back the progress I made. So you may not have as long a wait as you think. But take care of that foot again now, and read Rick's advice. I think it will help you. --Nancy S.

john h on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016393)

been there and done that! i was 80% and decided to walk 3 miles a day for a week at 4mph. set me way back! i suspect that for most of us we need to be careful for a year.

Nancy S. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016386)

So sorry for your disappointment, Annette. I know to an avid runner that 30 minutes sounds 'measly,' but actually it's a lot to put your still-healing foot through so suddenly.
I would highly recommend that you go back a few pages through the message board, to where Barbb posted 'IT'S ME AGAIN' and read Rick R's reply to her (dated 2/21). He is a runner who has had a lot of experience with this problem, and he had some excellent advice to offer. Especially read his paragraph that begins, 'If I had it to all over again . . .' I think it will help you ease back into running in a way that shouldn't reinjure you.
I had a recent setback doing a bad twist/stretch that I never should have tried, after 2 months of rest, mild stretching, and swimming. I was feeling like you -- I've wrecked it, I'm back to square one, etc. But for the last two days I feel I'm beginning to get back the progress I made. So you may not have as long a wait as you think. But take care of that foot again now, and read Rick's advice. I think it will help you. --Nancy S.

john h on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016393)

been there and done that! i was 80% and decided to walk 3 miles a day for a week at 4mph. set me way back! i suspect that for most of us we need to be careful for a year.