Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Maybe just too enthusiastic

Posted by Robin B. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016387)

I'm not a runner, but I WAS a committed walker, 4 or 5 miles six days a week. I gave up walking entirely for nearly two years.

When I started again in Dec. 1999, I started with 1/4 mile, then the following week 1/2 mile. I stayed at 1/2 mile for a couple of weeks and got up gradually to 1 mile.

Now I am able to walk 2 miles in the morning and another 1 mile at night -- on a good day. Some days aren't quite so good and I do my 2 in the morning and that's it. This morning was a wonderful day and I did 2.6. (I had been up to 2.2 for the last 5 days.) However, I HAVE been overly enthusiastic myself and have gone from 2 to 3 miles -- and paid for it. Now when I do an increase, it's in 1/4 mile increments.

I think 30 minutes of running is too much. If you get to the point where you think you can run again, I would start with about 5-7 minutes -- trot around the block, maybe. And you might stay with that for at least a week, then maybe go up to 9 or 10 minutes. I also think it's important that at the first sign of increased pain -- you immediately cut back to the lower mileage or time.

It's a pain, I know. But -- I have now been walking for 2 months solid after nearly 2 years of sedentary behavior (except for exercise bike)and I'm convinced that 'easy does it' is really the way, once you start a recovery.

VickiJ on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016402)

I agree with Robin. I, too, was a walker...about the same degree that Robin describes. I also had to stop for about two years. I was thrilled in January when I took a chance and went for a short walk around the neighborhood...six blocks...it felt SO great. Now I'm up to ten blocks and yes, sometimes it hurts, but a small dose of ibuprophen at night and I'm ok in the morning. IN a few weeks I'll go further. I want to be able to do a 'walking' holiday in the UK May 2001.

I think the key is the mental attitude. Start small...1/4 mile or less and look at it as a BIG SUCCESS over PF. Appreciating what we CAN do at this point keeps our minds in the healing mode...and I believe that is critically important...DO NOT say 'I'm only going 1/4 mile'...that will bring the mind down and then the body with it. Rejoice that you can put weight on your foot, stand outside and breathe the air AND walk or run 1/4 mile. We may live with some PF pain the rest of our lives....but at least we are out there moving again!

Annette on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016426)

your right also Vicki,
I should just be thankful that I can walk on my feet, it isjust so easy to turn it into a pity party sometimes, I'm just going to stay away from those runner friends of mine, they make me want to run so bad after listening to their running stories. thanks,
annette

VickiJ on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016402)

I agree with Robin. I, too, was a walker...about the same degree that Robin describes. I also had to stop for about two years. I was thrilled in January when I took a chance and went for a short walk around the neighborhood...six blocks...it felt SO great. Now I'm up to ten blocks and yes, sometimes it hurts, but a small dose of ibuprophen at night and I'm ok in the morning. IN a few weeks I'll go further. I want to be able to do a 'walking' holiday in the UK May 2001.

I think the key is the mental attitude. Start small...1/4 mile or less and look at it as a BIG SUCCESS over PF. Appreciating what we CAN do at this point keeps our minds in the healing mode...and I believe that is critically important...DO NOT say 'I'm only going 1/4 mile'...that will bring the mind down and then the body with it. Rejoice that you can put weight on your foot, stand outside and breathe the air AND walk or run 1/4 mile. We may live with some PF pain the rest of our lives....but at least we are out there moving again!

Annette on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016426)

your right also Vicki,
I should just be thankful that I can walk on my feet, it isjust so easy to turn it into a pity party sometimes, I'm just going to stay away from those runner friends of mine, they make me want to run so bad after listening to their running stories. thanks,
annette