Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: One fool to another

Posted by John C. on 2/25/00 at 00:00 (016419)

Annette,

I couldn't help respond. As John H said, 'Been there, done that'. I am a long time moderate runner. In April 98, I injured my left foot from a jump. No big problem. Next week, tried to go on with my normal running of 3 X 5 miles. Big problem! I got to mile 4 and felt like I had stepped on a knife. I tried for 3 months to run thru the problem. No way. I finally went to a Pod, found this web site, and got serious for nearly a year. I did orthotics and nearly everything in Scott's book. I got the pain down to the 20% level for a couple months and thought that I might be ready to try some running again. Nope. By the time I got up to 1/4 mile, the problem came roaring back. I was like you, the heel still hurt when pressing on it but otherwise was not a problem. I was hiking, biking, and working out regularly at the gym. I was not having any problem. But, trying to run brought it back. Fortunately, I back off before doing a serious damage. I went back to the 20% pain state where I could do anything but run.

I was very depressed at this point. I thought running was over for me forever. I am 57 and had decided that I could do other things. Then, one day, I was reading a post here about success with acupuncture and chiropractors(not the same posting). I checked and learned that my insurance would cover a chiroproctor. I went. Got the foot massaged. This was the one thing that I had not done. In 6 weeks, my pain went to nearly 0%. I waited about 2 more weeks and veeery slowly started running again. I started like a beginner. Run a short distance, walk a long distance. It took me a month to get up to 1 continous mile . Its been around 8 months since that slow beginning and I am back to normal and it feels great.

Here is my advice. If you can cause it to hurt by pressing on it, you ain't ready to run. Also, if you can press on it and make it hurt, give it a good massage. I was astonished at the amount of relief the first time I went to the chiropractor. I'm not trying to beat the drum for chiropractors either. I think you can do as much good by doing it yourself. Lastly, when you think you are ready to run, go slow. I think from what you have said that you may have already come to this conclusion.

Best of luck Annette.

John