Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Overstretching

Posted by Helene M on 2/26/00 at 00:00 (016454)

You are correct about overstretching. When my feet are inflamed I can't stretch at all. However, after feeling that I was finally healing, I recently started calf stretching again by leaning against the wall with one foot back. My PF came right back with a vengeance! I am sooo disappointed. I can't seem to stretch the calves without also stretching the feet, which causes reinjury. So, now I'm back to square one again.

Re: Overstretching

Bob G. on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016470)

Hi, Helene! I think I can relate to that also; I have had PF come back after stretching too much. Then I would take ibuprofen and use ice. Now I am finding very gentle stretching is working wonders.
It is a temptation to overstretch, but I began to learn not to overdo it. Good luck, and give it lots of rest.

Helene M on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016477)

Thanks, Bob. I get overzealous every time I'm feeling better. My thinking has been that if I stretch gently, I'm not getting any benefit from it. I guess that way of thinking is wrong.

wendy s. on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016557)

I have pf and a bone spur. the dr said to do this one stretch (that stretches calf muscle) 1/hr 8times a day. So I did this for 2 days, and while running (slowly) it feels as if I have completely tore my pf. My heel and bottom of foot are swollen, and now after 5 days have began to bruise. Do you think this stretching exercise added to my problem rather than helped it?

Re: Overstretching -- to wendy s.

Nancy S. on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016558)

In a word, YES. Wendy, exactly what stretch did you do? How often and how long on each of those 2 days?--I couldn't understand what you wrote about that. My next major question is, why are you running? Please read through this message board and Scott's 'PF Book' (click on it at top of page) for information on how to treat an inflamed PF foot. How long have you had PF? Who diagnosed you? Did this person advise you to take no rest from running? What other bad advice did this person give you? If you have swelling and bruising, you need to get off your feet and do some reading up here. You might also consider changing doctors. As you'll gather from reading through this site, PF is nothing to fool around with. You need good care, now. Personally, I have found this site more helpful than any doctor. But to me the swelling and bruising sound as if you have further injured an already injured foot -- it would be best if you can find a good doctor -- I'd suggest an orthopedic doctor. Good luck to you -- post again if you have more questions after reading. --Nancy S.

Bob G. on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016470)

Hi, Helene! I think I can relate to that also; I have had PF come back after stretching too much. Then I would take ibuprofen and use ice. Now I am finding very gentle stretching is working wonders.
It is a temptation to overstretch, but I began to learn not to overdo it. Good luck, and give it lots of rest.

Helene M on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016477)

Thanks, Bob. I get overzealous every time I'm feeling better. My thinking has been that if I stretch gently, I'm not getting any benefit from it. I guess that way of thinking is wrong.

wendy s. on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016557)

I have pf and a bone spur. the dr said to do this one stretch (that stretches calf muscle) 1/hr 8times a day. So I did this for 2 days, and while running (slowly) it feels as if I have completely tore my pf. My heel and bottom of foot are swollen, and now after 5 days have began to bruise. Do you think this stretching exercise added to my problem rather than helped it?

Re: Overstretching -- to wendy s.

Nancy S. on 2/28/00 at 00:00 (016558)

In a word, YES. Wendy, exactly what stretch did you do? How often and how long on each of those 2 days?--I couldn't understand what you wrote about that. My next major question is, why are you running? Please read through this message board and Scott's 'PF Book' (click on it at top of page) for information on how to treat an inflamed PF foot. How long have you had PF? Who diagnosed you? Did this person advise you to take no rest from running? What other bad advice did this person give you? If you have swelling and bruising, you need to get off your feet and do some reading up here. You might also consider changing doctors. As you'll gather from reading through this site, PF is nothing to fool around with. You need good care, now. Personally, I have found this site more helpful than any doctor. But to me the swelling and bruising sound as if you have further injured an already injured foot -- it would be best if you can find a good doctor -- I'd suggest an orthopedic doctor. Good luck to you -- post again if you have more questions after reading. --Nancy S.