Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Vitamin E for scar tissue

Posted by Colleen G on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016497)

I had heard that vitamin E is good for breaking up scar tissue. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? If so should I use lotion, oil, or the vitamin supplement? My DPM said that I don't have much scar tissue from my PF release but I would like to try to get rid of what I do have. Thanks for any input.

Re: Vitamin E for scar tissue

BJC on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016498)

Yes, vitamin E is good to minimize the appearance of scar tissue. Pure Vitamin E oil is good, and recommended by plastic surgeons. Just rub it on a couple of times a day. I don't think a supplement would be very efficient on a scar. Don't know what type of PF surgery you had, but after 6 weeks post op EPF, I have very little scarring, and I usually take at least 6 months for a good outcome. Good luck!

Re: Vitamin E for scar tissue/BJC

Colleen G on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016500)

I had the conventional release. Thanks for your input.

john h on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016501)

i used vitimin e cream on a regular basis on scars on my foot. the massage as well as the cream is important to break up the scar tissue.

BJC on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016498)

Yes, vitamin E is good to minimize the appearance of scar tissue. Pure Vitamin E oil is good, and recommended by plastic surgeons. Just rub it on a couple of times a day. I don't think a supplement would be very efficient on a scar. Don't know what type of PF surgery you had, but after 6 weeks post op EPF, I have very little scarring, and I usually take at least 6 months for a good outcome. Good luck!

Re: Vitamin E for scar tissue/BJC

Colleen G on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016500)

I had the conventional release. Thanks for your input.

john h on 2/27/00 at 00:00 (016501)

i used vitimin e cream on a regular basis on scars on my foot. the massage as well as the cream is important to break up the scar tissue.